Current Yogis with demonstrable siddhis

This thread will combine some of the recent discussion on siddhis and samayama. The purpose is to find actual living Yogis today who have siddhis.

The following yogi has mastered the fire element. He is able to attain a state of perfect resonance(union) with the fire so that the fire cannot burn him(Patanjali describes this in the Yogasutras)

His other amazing feats include only eating 2 bananas and drinking a glass of milk and getting only 3 hours of sleep a day for the past several decades with only a few drops of water. He explains that he does not require energy from food and water, because he gets all the energy he needs from the prana in the cosmos.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;35284]He explains that he does not require energy from food and water, because he gets all the energy he needs from the prana in the cosmos.[/QUOTE]

… and yet he still eats food and drinks milk??!.. He’s full of crap! If he got energy from “Prana” , he could go without food!.. but he doesn’t, he still needs to eat. This is just attention seeking nonsense.

The following Yogi has mastered his thirst and hunger drive. He has not eaten nor drank any water since his childhood. He claims that he derives all the energy he needs from the prana in the air and in the sunlight. This is known as Prana vidya by tantrics where one gets full mastery of prana and can then transmit and receive prana at will.

The Yogi has passed two very rigorous scientific controlled experiments one by a medicial institute and the other by the Indian defence research. Although he is 82 his body analysis and brain scans show his brain to be that of a 25 year old man and his heart rate to be that of a young athelete. He does not pass any stool or urine. However, he can produce any quantity of urine at will and reabsorb it into his blood stream.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/35126/

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;35286]… and yet he still eats food and drinks milk??!.. He’s full of crap! If he got energy from “Prana” , he could go without food!.. but he doesn’t, he still needs to eat. This is just attention seeking nonsense.[/QUOTE]

I suggest you watch the documentary above before you make rash and ignorant comments.

He still needs some food, because he has not mastered the pranic sciences. He hopes to attain this ability soon. He just needs very little of it.

many masters have said that sidhis are not the goal but can be distractions as the only true goal is eternal love.

[QUOTE=Brother Neil;35305]many masters have said that sidhis are not the goal but can be distractions as the only true goal is eternal love.[/QUOTE]

WOW! Nice… I like what HH The Dalai Lama says… “My religion is kindness”… I love that one too. There may or may not be a god or soul, but there IS kindness, and we all know that it’s really good.

I think Siddhis are really cool. I see no reason why we should not develop them. If one could have an IQ of 1000, a photographic memory, why on earth would they want to decline that?

It is up to the individual if they want to develop siddhis or if they want to dedicate their life to selfless sevice or to liberation.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;35307]I think Siddhis are really cool. I see no reason why we should not develop them. If one could have an IQ of 1000, a photographic memory, why on earth would they want to decline that?

It is up to the individual if they want to develop siddhis or if they want to dedicate their life to selfless sevice or to liberation.[/QUOTE]
if that is what you like who am i to say no, enjoy

[QUOTE=Brother Neil;35308]if that is what you like who am i to say no, enjoy[/QUOTE]

Ahhhhh! That was such an easy win!! So when will you be commencing Downward Dog lol

[QUOTE=Brother Neil;35308]if that is what you like who am i to say no, enjoy[/QUOTE]

Ironically the many masters you refer to Jesus, Buddha, Krishna etc all had siddhis and demonstrated them :smiley:

In my opinion by giving yourself beliefs like siddhis are not to be developed you are just limiting yoursef. But if that is what you like, who am I to say no? Enjoy :wink:

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;35309]Ahhhhh! That was such an easy win!! So when will you be commencing Downward Dog lol[/QUOTE]
well first off brother adam, it was double or NOTHING :wink: second, i believe my post/message was allowing him to be as he chooses to be. so if you count that as a win, I wont argue with that but that does not mean I agree :slight_smile:

I really have to say that this behaviour Brother Neil and Yogiadam are exhibiting is really showing you to be very petty and horrible people, than yogis. If you want to ignore me all you need to do is put me on the ignore list. But by constantly talking about me in the third person in front of me to show me you have an arrangement between each other to ignore me, you are simply making yourself look very bad. Like children at school to be honest.

I do not get affected by this but it does give me an opportunity to show that you are basically hypocrites who talk about love, compassion and peace, but do not practice it :wink:

well the arrangement was not to feed the arguments, which we did post on the forum for all to see, it was also putting the blame on ourselves for arguing. Yes, I am not the best yogi at times, I should drop the sidhi of making a fool of myself.
brother Adam, I will give you the win for me saying this “I should drop the sidhi of making a fool of myself” now time to start fresh

What I’d like to see is the proper method for the development of the “turn base metals into Gold” siddhi. Because that one could be really useful.

Anyone have the steps to that - post away.

I’m surprised to find name calling on this forum, but I suppose that exists on all forums.

The Scales, I don’t have the steps to that one… I am quite a beginner. :slight_smile:

Hi Surya Deva,

The following yogi has mastered the fire element. He is able to attain a state of perfect resonance(union) with the fire so that the fire cannot burn him(Patanjali describes this in the Yogasutras)
but he is only lieing next to the fire, not in it and his naked skin is never in contact with the fire, but only his clothes. If he has mastered the fire element, why would he not just wear some underpants and do his trick? He has one naked arm, but that one is never in the fire, only his other side, where he has cloth up to his shoulders. Of that cloth, the outer layer gets burned after a while. Why does the cloth not burn off completly, has it also mastered the fire element? When he carries that burning straw around, it’s the same thing, he keeps the burning part on the side where his shoulder is covered and clearly keeps his head as far away from the flame as possible. At 3:00 his beard catches fire and he puts it out instantly and very carefully with his hand. At 3:30 you can see that he carries the burning straw with the protection of the cloth again. At 4:30 he lets the cloth burn for a while, but then he is relatively agitated when putting it out, so it seems that the outermost layer has burnt away and it starts to become critical. To the end (11:40) you see him holding his clothes into the fire, but they really refuse to burn. Do that with a regular jeans or a blanket.

You never see his skin having actual contact with the flames, so to say “the fire cannot burn him” is not quite accurate.

His other amazing feats include only eating 2 bananas and drinking a glass of milk and getting only 3 hours of sleep a day for the past several decades with only a few drops of water. He explains that he does not require energy from food and water, because he gets all the energy he needs from the prana in the cosmos.
I have only eaten 1 peanut and drink a glass of milk once a weak and need 10 minutes of sleep per day. I do not require energy from food and water, because I get all the energy I need from the prana in the cosmos.

Words.

The following Yogi has mastered his thirst and hunger drive. He has not eaten nor drank any water since his childhood.
Is there proof that’s really true?

He claims that he derives all the energy he needs from the prana in the air and in the sunlight. This is known as Prana vidya by tantrics where one gets full mastery of prana and can then transmit and receive prana at will.

The Yogi has passed two very rigorous scientific controlled experiments one by a medicial institute and the other by the Indian defence research. Although he is 82 his body analysis and brain scans show his brain to be that of a 25 year old man and his heart rate to be that of a young athelete. He does not pass any stool or urine. However, he can produce any quantity of urine at will and reabsorb it into his blood stream.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2010/may/18/prahlad-jani-india-sunshine

I’d like to see these “rigorous scientific controlled experiments” reproduced by someone who is not a “deeply religious Jain” who, just like you:

I think Siddhis are really cool.
wants these things to be true. I want them to be done by someone who thinks this is impossible.

I see no reason why we should not develop them. If one could have an IQ of 1000, a photographic memory, why on earth would they want to decline that?
According to Sutra 3.38 the Siddhis are obstacles to Samadhi:

Chip Hartranft
These sensory gifts may feel like attainments, but they distract one from integration.
B.K.S. Iyengar
These attainments are impediments to samadhi, although they are powers in active life.
Swami Vivekananda
These are obstacles to Samadhi; but they are powers in the worldly state.
I guess they are, because they are so cool and therefore distract from the actual goal. All the time you for example spend on researching them with logic and “science” only distracts you from the actual practice.

It is up to the individual if they want to develop siddhis or if they want to dedicate their life to selfless sevice or to liberation.
It is. The question still is why there is no case of proven Siddhis anywhere. Why don’t those who have mastered them come forward and show themselves flying, traveling through space and time, becoming invisible, having an IQ of 1000 or the strength of an elephant? Either the Siddhis don’t exist or those who mastered them have another reason to hide them. What reason could that be in your opinion?

but he is only lieing next to the fire, not in it and his naked skin is never in contact with the fire, but only his clothes. If he has mastered the fire element, why would he not just wear some underpants and do his trick? He has one naked arm, but that one is never in the fire, only his other side, where he has cloth up to his shoulders. Of that cloth, the outer layer gets burned after a while. Why does the cloth not burn off completly, has it also mastered the fire element? When he carries that burning straw around, it’s the same thing, he keeps the burning part on the side where his shoulder is covered and clearly keeps his head as far away from the flame as possible. At 3:00 his beard catches fire and he puts it out instantly and very carefully with his hand. At 3:30 you can see that he carries the burning straw with the protection of the cloth again. At 4:30 he lets the cloth burn for a while, but then he is relatively agitated when putting it out, so it seems that the outermost layer has burnt away and it starts to become critical. To the end (11:40) you see him holding his clothes into the fire, but they really refuse to burn. Do that with a regular jeans or a blanket.

You never see his skin having actual contact with the flames, so to say “the fire cannot burn him” is not quite accurate.

Namaste,

I think you know yourself that if this was you placed inside the fire you would be burning and screaming. This man is lying in a fire, it does not matter what side he is lying on, he is lying in a fire. There are several shots where entire body is engulfed by flames.

When you can show me a video of yourself lying inside a fire then I will believe your explanation :wink:

I’d like to see these “rigorous scientific controlled experiments” reproduced by someone who is not a “deeply religious Jain” who, just like you:

His religion does not matter. Now two rigorous scientific experiments have been conducted by an entire medical institute with a team of doctors and scientists, and by the Indian defense research. It is obvious this guy is real.

wants these things to be true. I want them to be done by someone who thinks this is impossible.

It makes no difference what I want or don’t want to whether they are real. Scientific evidence speaks for itself.

According to Sutra 3.38 the Siddhis are obstacles to Samadhi

Every desire, every thought and every attainment is an obstacle on the path to Samadhi. The siddhis are only obstacles to people who forget about the main goal of liberation from samsara. Having siddhis itself is not an obstacle. Many great Yogis and master had Siddhis.

I am sorry but if you don’t think it is cool that somebody could teleport, levitate, fly, then you live in a cooler world than I do.

It is. The question still is why there is no case of proven Siddhis anywhere

There is plenty of proof. I just posted two already above one is a man who does not eat or drink and one is a man who can lie for hours in a fire.

It is not my fault that you choose to be blind to this. This is your problem, not mine.

Having reviewed the fire yogi video again I think it can be granted that he does not actually directly sit inside the fire and I also noted when the fire is blazing at its most intense he takes a break. This seems to suggest I was rash with my statement that he has mastered the element of fire, as he clearly hasn’t. Nor is this the same power Patanjali describes.

However, he is displaying an ability that is definitely not conventional. If this was anybody else they would be burning and screaming in pain. The altered state is perhaps reducing his ability to tolerate pain substantially. Hence how he can tolerate the extreme heat underneath him and the flames around his body.

Hi Surya Deva,

I only noticed your additional reply just now, but already spent an hour to create this post, so I’ll post it anyway. I guess, though, we agree. Very good.

I have this video myself and saw it a while ago already, and I've now made an effort.

See this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGQv1dwKXI

1. at 0:53 his head comes in contact with flames, he instantly and quickly moves it up
2. he holds his head up in that position so the fire can't touch it (up to 0:25)
3. You see that there are flames beneath his head and and he then moves into a position with largely adjusting himself, so only his cloth will be in contact with the fire (1:53 ongoing). At the end of this process his head rests on the stones surrounding the fire place

[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2cxaj2p.png[/img]
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/29ap2mc.png[/img]
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/21eqi3b.png[/img]
[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/ad23yp.png[/img]

4. then you see his clothes in the flames. The flames are in constant contact with the cloth since at least 1:40. At 1:14 you can see a large area of cloth that had been in direct contact with flames for about half a minute, and it only shows a tiny spot that has turned black. It does not burn. 
5. at 2:34 he gets up quickly
6. at 2:37 you see a shot of the cloth. The outer layer is a little bit burned, you can see inner layer through the holes

The narrator notes just this: Only his clothes are in contact with the fire and could be soaked with some inflammable liquid. He suggests that it's still hot in there. Asking the guy, why his hair and cloth won't catch fire, he says, that he was in union with the fire and the fire did not harm him.

Well, the fire actually did harm "him", as it, after more than 2 minutes, destroyed the outer layer of his cloth to some degree. Which - as I assume - caused him to get up then. Also will his beard catch fire later, as quickly as any beard would catch fire.

In this sequence, he had been in the fire place for about 2:30 minutes, the fire just got started, no huge flames yet, no great heat. It will be the longest time he remains "in" the fire.

Next sequence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9IAa0Rmxk

1. He lies down at 0:08.
2. he gets up at 0:34, with a lot of smoke rising from his cloth

Time "in" the fire: 26 seconds

Next sequence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8CjGLdCghA

1. He lies down at 0:09
2. at 0:30 we see his cloth considrably burning (and remember, that before he said, that his clothes would not burn because of his connection to the fire - why does it burn then here?)
3. at 0:33 he quickly gets up again and we can see how much smoke rises from him

Time "in" the fire: 24 seconds

Next:

1. he lies down at 0:11, now with half his body on the stones around the fireplace
2. he gets up at 0:33 seconds

Time "in" the fire: 22 seconds.

Next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcd-6Bwj-Uk

1. he lies down at 0:05, now lying on the corner of the stone surrounding. In the corner, there is the least contact with the fire. His feet are on the ground, his head way out of the fireplace

[img]http://i36.tinypic.com/2ujm6o6.png[/img]

2. it seems that at 0:35 he gets up

Time "in" the fire: 30 seconds

And next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SfcnmdbsUs

1. now he ads herbs to the fire. The herbs don't burn and there are no flames coming through them, however: at 0:05 he lies down, now more inside the fireplace again, but the flames are now only in a corner
2. there's a cut at 0:20 and he's outside again
3. lying down at 0:26 again, on the bed of herbs with no flames
4. gets up at 0:46
5. lying down at 0:58 again
6. at 1:20 we see him lying on the stone surrounding again, seems like a cut
7. getting up at 1:24

Time "in" the fire: 15 seconds, 20 seconds and 26 seconds

Next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1135HnVrHU

1. lying down right at the beginning, the fire has become relatively small in a corner, as the rest of the fireplace is covered by herbs
2. at 1:00 his beard, which it should not, catches fire, and he puts it out quickly

[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/veb3p1.png[/img]

3. gets up at 1:21

Time "in" the fire: 1:21.

Next:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bdj-vZSjgE

1. he lies down, but only for a few seconds
2. his cloth burns now (the narrator says his "body burns, but he remains unaffected"), and he closely keeps an eye on the progress

[img]http://i36.tinypic.com/2yycob8.png[/img]

3. at 0:34 he gets up to put the fire out, he is agitated, moving relatively quickly
4. he gets hurt, the narrator say "the fire seems to have hurt him, we can see his painful reaction, but he quickly recovers"

[img]http://i35.tinypic.com/o69t6o.png[/img]
[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/kbzlvk.png[/img]

So what do we make out of this?

He is never actually in the fire, but only next to it. Yes, it's very hot there too. But he is never actually in the fire.

His skin is never in direct contact with the fire, and if that accidentially happens, he quickly moves out of the fire.

When the fire is at his cloth, it does not burn the cloth, like regular cloth is burnt. He explains that by a unity with both the fire and the cloth, claiming the fire won't burn the cloth due to this unity. Yet, the cloth gets affected after a while, which is usually the time when he gets up.

The longest period of time he is lying close to the fire is at the beginning, when the fire is only getting started. Even then, the time is only 2.5 minutes. Later, it will never be more than 30 seconds, and again: Not in the fire, but next to the fire, with his skin never in contact with the flames, but only his unburnable cloth.

My conclusion:

Yes, a normal person like you and I could not do that without intense training. It is definitely a skill you need to learn first. I also think that it might need a meditative state or a trance to bear the heat and the smoke. So yes, this is an advanced Yogi.

However: The claim that he cannot be burnt by the fire is not backed up by what we see, while we would see him sitting right in the fire naked if it was true. 

On the experiment of the guy who does not eat:

I want to have it reproduced. By someone who is not deeply religious and therefore wanting to proove what his religions teaches is the truth. Just like I have little faith in the results of a scientific study about the health-risks from smoking, done by scientists working for the tobacco-industry.

Very logical, very reasonable. Unlike saying the background of a scientist is irrelevant.