Food as medicine

Food is a very potent medicine. I will quote here TURMERIC. It is a strong anti-inflammatory and strong anti-carcinogenic. The active principle in it is
CURCUMIN, cca 4 % concentration in turmeric.

Curcumin is not well absorbed by the body. You can increase the bio-availability by dissolving it in olive oil.

However, there is another point I want to make here.

Foods are SYNERGISTIC. Turmeric in the presence of black pepper and ginger
increases its health powers by a factor of 2,000 (two thousand) times. So
probably the traditional Indian cuisine is a very strong medicine.

1 Like

Power of food synergy

Medical doctors have studied the effects of COMBINATIONS of foods
on rats with cancer. The foods studied were known anti-carcinogenics.

Results for risk of death:
—One single food-risk is 50 %
—Two foods--------risk is 35 %
—Three foods------risk is 20 %
----Four foods-------risk is 15 %

That was quite an informative as well as informative information. Was not aware regarding the same. Anyways, thank you for posting these online.

Foods are potent medicine. Look eg at some foods:

Some of them can even fight cancer.

Some authors classify as the “healthiest foods” :
----avocado
----brocoli
----berries

It takes LOTS of fruits and vegetables to heal diseases. Why so ?

The answer is the difference between the cells of animals and the cells of plants. The plant cells have tough cells surrounding their membranes. People do not have enough enzymes to dissolve these tough cell walls and then they cannot abosrb most of the plant nutrients.

Solutions:
—chew a lot. saliva has enzymes.
—cook plants…but they loose much nutrients
—mechanically break the cell walls by juicing or blenderizing

Note: I thought of another solution: eat bee pollen. It contains more 5,000 enzymes.

It is surprising to see how many cancer patients, in advanced stages of their diseases, have survived after switching to diets of juiced and/or blenderized
fruits and vegetables.

Loose quote from:
Book: Natural strategies for cancer patients
Author: Dr. Russell Blaylock

Hi everybody :slight_smile: good to read all of this valuable info. I just wanted to add that quite recently, I’ve had a first-hand experience with health and food. I got a very weird allergic rash and swelling on my face and neck. The skin got all dry and sore and stingy, so I tried tons of creams, lotions, antiseptics, even vaseline, but nothing helped. Finally, I gave coconut oil a try and the next morning, my skin was a lot better. So I must say that I do believe in the healing potential of food. I also use ginger as a remedy to keep my digestion in good balance, for example.

As for the absorption, it is very imperative to learn to eat properly. I read in a hatha yoga book by Ramatcharaka once, that people have forgotten what our mouths are made for - they are for eating and breathing through your mouth is as insane as eating through your nose. I think it’s a very good guideline to maintain a healthy digestion and, thus, good health in general

next time try neem leaves.

[QUOTE=Sushumna Yoga;76841]Hi everybody :slight_smile: good to read all of this valuable info. I just wanted to add that quite recently, I’ve had a first-hand experience with health and food. I got a very weird allergic rash and swelling on my face and neck. The skin got all dry and sore and stingy, so I tried tons of creams, lotions, antiseptics, even vaseline, but nothing helped. Finally, I gave coconut oil a try and the next morning, my skin was a lot better. So I must say that I do believe in the healing potential of food. I also use gingerl[/QUOTE]

If you eat something bad or even poisonous, take immediately ACTIVATED
CARBON. It prevents the bad stuff to be absorbed by the body.

“Immediately” stands here for one hour. After that, the activated carbon can be less efficient.

Duration of life

Yoga texts write that the duration of life is 727,210,200 breaths. For 12 breaths a minute, which is probably average, the duration of life is cca 115 years.

Surprisingly, Western medicine has reached the same conclusion. The duration of life should be cca 120 years. That supposes a normal, healthy lifestyle.

Thre are some quite potent combinations of foods. One of them, used in Ayurveda, is Chyawanprash:

It is named the elixir of life.

Turmeric, Neem and Bee’s Honey are the natural foods which are very effective to cure the many healths problem. My grandpa is always used the turmeric in the milk when they got any injury. i always used the natural Ayurveda remedies instead of the medication.

It is quite useful to have access to an extensive database which lists the components of all foods.

This is USDA National Nutrient database:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/

This is an official database.

1 Like

I will post another database, for naturopathic medicine:

http://www.herbs2000.com/

It is a huge database, with lots of herbs, ailments, aromatherapies etc

Thank you for sharing this information!

Sushumna Yoga-- I think I have read that book! It seems so obvious but I was so surprised to learn that. I had been breathing through my mouth most of my life and after reading that I made a conscious effort to stop. It has decreased my headaches.

To be healthy, whole foods are a prerequisite. They are not just organic foods. There are
differences.

The site below contains a lot of info about whole foods, with lots of links:

Beware of mdedical drugs. They can be dangerous to your health:

It looks like the real motivation of the big pharma (big pharmaceutical companies) is
money, not your health.

I have seen in the media (TV +newspapers) so many legal class suits against the big
pharma so I will hesitate to take the simplest drug. Even aspirine has many side effects:
eg it can make you blind.

The people of Hunza live in th high mountains, at the junction between India, China, and
Afghanistan.

They are probably the most longevive people in the world. They are potent too, fatheing children at ages over 90.

Their longevity is explained by several factors, like meditation, relaxaton, and diet.
Just read about their diet:

http://thepdi.com/hunza_health_secrets.htm

Well, the move for healthy living starts to have traction.

Yesteday I watched a lengthy TV documentary about the bad state of healthcare in USA.

Today there was a report in the newspapers about the processed foods, how bad are they and how the food industry is actually luring you to buy these unhealthy foods. Eg
the food industry researches medically at what sugar content your brain activates the
"pleasure center." This is an interesting book by Michael Moss.

The name of this thread is “food as medicine.”

Now I will post something opposite to it: “food as poison.”

Genetically modified foods harm the people, the animals and the
environment.

Recently there were demonstartions in hundreds of cities against
genetically modified foods. 800 scientists signed a petition asking to
forbid them.

There are even movies about it…and a lot of web sites. I just quote
the ones below:

Fortunately the consumers will have soon available devices to detect GMO:
http://preventdisease.com/news/13/052613_Consumers-Will-Soon-Have-Devices-In-Their-Hands-To-Detect-GMO-and-Toxic-Foods.shtml

Read Eat to Live and or watch Forks Over knives

Proper Diet can do a lot in the way of curing disease