Guru in Versace

I go to the Kadampa Buddhist center for meditation session sometimes. they have discussion after meditations, ets.

Every time I go there I feel kinda dissatisfied… frustrated… I do not know how to explain that, like I do not trust that guru is speaking from the heart.

Today I spoke to guru and I noted her golden jewelry and Vercase glasses and it is really confused me…

What you all think?

Maybe she got them in a SALE for half the price of non-brand glasses.

Anyway I don’t think there is any issue behind that. As you might like Prana Yoga pants which cost quite a bit, someone else might like expensive Fivefinger shoes for practising, etc. The fact you practice or teach yoga doesn’t mean, in my opinion, you have to renounce to everything and live a shaolin monk life in order to be a good practitioner or teacher, just as most sports couches weren’t extremely good players…

The jewelry and fancy things might seem strange...and against the minimalism involved in the concept of Aparigraha.

But in the end, it is not the jewelry and fancy things that matters. Your heart and intuition matters.

If everytime you go there you feel kind of dissatisfied, maybe you should search another places that can truly inspire you.

Anyway, wish you peace and harmony in this journey.

Prem & Shanti

Portal Yoga Brasil

[QUOTE=Xamilo;31090]Maybe she got them in a SALE for half the price of non-brand glasses.

Anyway I don’t think there is any issue behind that. As you might like Prana Yoga pants which cost quite a bit, someone else might like expensive Fivefinger shoes for practising, etc. The fact you practice or teach yoga doesn’t mean, in my opinion, you have to renounce to everything and live a shaolin monk life in order to be a good practitioner or teacher, just as most sports couches weren’t extremely good players…[/QUOTE]

It is not about now much it cost. It is about our desires…and as Yoga Brazil has mentioned, about Aparighara. The fact that guru wears Versace means that he wanted to have this particular brand and associated with this brand illusion of wealth.
Also, overspending is not the way of yogi I think, just as well as overeating, overacting…etc

[QUOTE=CityMonk;31087]I go to the Kadampa Buddhist center for meditation session sometimes. they have discussion after meditations, ets.

Every time I go there I feel kinda dissatisfied… frustrated… I do not know how to explain that, like I do not trust that guru is speaking from the heart.

Today I spoke to guru and I noted her golden jewelry and Vercase glasses and it is really confused me…

What you all think?[/QUOTE]

I think you should trust your intuition.

Well… I have great respect to BSK Iyengar. On the pictures he wears big gold bracelets, rings and other jewelry.
It just does not go with my understanding of yoga and simply natural way of living.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;32717]Well… I have great respect to BSK Iyengar. On the pictures he wears big gold bracelets, rings and other jewelry.
It just does not go with my understanding of yoga and simply natural way of living.[/QUOTE]

We are all outwardly different but at core all the same. All likes are not the same likes. Of course. Likes dislikes this is outwardly.

I wouldn’t be caught dead wearing big gold bracelets, or rings or any jewlery for that matter - buts thats just my likes.

My mind loves to judge. Pretty. Ugly. Fat. Sweet lord of mercy hot dam! When the mind is pure this happens much much less. It may shout something. I’ll call it a rascal. “You better watch it or I will purify you.” It quiets down. I’m nice to it. Mostly I just laugh at how it’s so amusing.

But I try not dwell on the Idea that my mind and its thoughts are really me.

If they are really bugging me and I’m not totally wrapped up in them and I remember the truth - the teaching - I’ll say “who cares?” This usually settles them down like when you caress a dogs belly.

Through the course of yoga dispassion is so valuable. This is not apathy. This is unyoga.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;31174]It is not about now much it cost. It is about our desires…and as Yoga Brazil has mentioned, about Aparighara. The fact that guru wears Versace means that he wanted to have this particular brand and associated with this brand illusion of wealth.
Also, overspending is not the way of yogi I think, just as well as overeating, overacting…etc[/QUOTE]

That is not entirely true. I wear Oakley’s for eye protection in outside sports, and doesn’t mean I want that particular brand but the brand which offers the best protection-glare reduction-low sight distortion available and this is it. If I can afford to buy them, does that mean I’m looking for the illusion of welth behind them?

If I buy Prana Yoga Wear and “over” spend $40-$50 for an organic cotton shirt, does that mean I’m just trying to associate myself with the spirit of wealth behind an expensive yoga line and I should rather buy K-Marts 5 T’s for $10?

If I can afford to change a room in my house and spend us$7500 in renovations to fulfil a Zen environment, does that mean I’m over-spending?

What does over-spending really means? Spending $300 in a pair of glasses is over-spending? If your income surpasses a hundred grand a year, is a pair of lenses worth 0.3% of your income which will last at least 2-3 years an “over-expenditure”?

Obviously you don’t care what type or brand of anything you are using, so why worry about what someone else is using? Does that make a real difference in what kind of person she/he is? If your mother gave you a Bvlgary watch for Christmas and she would love to see you wear it and you start taking it to work, would that mean you’ve been consumed my materialism? Would hat mean you want to be associated with the illusion of wealth behind the brand?

You say you find superficial and unacceptable a Yogi used a pair of Versace’s. Aren’t you being much more superficial by judging him/her for the brand on his/her glasses? Shouldn’t you be worried about what he/she has to teach you instead of taking out a calculator to see if he/she is “over spending” with the income he/she has and judging his/her skills for such a material concept?

Materialism, and everything in life has to extremes. Those who follow it religiously, and those who fight it evangelically.
If I remember correctly, the idea behind Yoga would be to find a “center” and “balance” in every attitude and situation…

It is important, at times, not to get weighed down in superficialities.

There are many who claim to be gurus or to be divine (beyond the divinity we each hold within) and it seems obvious that of all the claimants there are very few who are not just white-washing a veneer of spirituality over their shadow self.

If you are adopting the classical definition of guru from indian society then that is one who shines light (into the consciousness of) or removes darkness from the living of the student.

If the person you have found is providing this light or removing said darkness then this is your guru and it matters very little whether they are wearing a loin cloth or prana. Remember, ego can be both the loud showman in the front of the room AND the hiding mouse in the back. It can be the car salesman or the false guru.

If the student is dissatisfied, then the two steps are to first go inside and make sure they themselves are not manifesting the nature through the five kleshas; avidya, asmita, raga, dvesha, and abhinivsesha. If that is not the case then the teacher or teachings can be evaluated clearly. And, of course, a highly aware student tends to have a clearer self-study often with a shorter duration.

[QUOTE=Xamilo;32739]

If I buy Prana Yoga Wear and “over” spend $40-$50 for an organic cotton shirt, does that mean I’m just trying to associate myself with the spirit of wealth behind an expensive yoga line and I should rather buy K-Marts 5 T’s for $10?

If I can afford to change a room in my house and spend us$7500 in renovations to fulfil a Zen environment, does that mean I’m over-spending?

What does over-spending really means? Spending $300 in a pair of glasses is over-spending? If your income surpasses a hundred grand a year, is a pair of lenses worth 0.3% of your income which will last at least 2-3 years an “over-expenditure”?

Obviously you don’t care what type or brand of anything you are using, so why worry about what someone else is using? Does that make a real difference in what kind of person she/he is?

.[/QUOTE]

Your are right… it is all about what we believe we should do. I personally just do not think that Zen environment, organic t-shirt or $400 sun glasses can make me better off.

What does over-spending really means? This is quite a question for me. Probably, it means that one is perusing things one can live without.

I’m not the person who jealous about their luxury things nor the person who is judging their preferences.

My ex-husband was a (very rare:) generous millionaire. Everyone think that my closets now are stored with diamonds and other luxury. But it is not the case. (stupid me:) Everything I have is my computer and my yoga books. We own a house, we have a big yard, but I do not want to have any extra furniture or other things. I own a bad (we made) and few chairs.

Material things do not bring happiness. Moreover if brings false happiness and drive us ever further away from real self.

I do not know how to explain that. But in my opinion everyone, especially people looking for REAL spiritual experience will progress more without collecting staff.

And you are absolutely right that this is personal preference which path to take and how to walk it:)

Namaste

[QUOTE=Xamilo;32739] Does that make a real difference in what kind of person she/he is?
.[/QUOTE]

I think I should make a difference.

what if you saw you guru drinking whiskey and hanging out with whores, smoking drugs and bad-wording in the “doll-house?” Would that make a difference what kind of person he/she is?

So where is that edge between excess and asceticism?

I recently ( a few months ago) joined a very nice group of people, interested in spiritual matters. There is no guru, although one of us really needs to work on his overwhelming will impusles. :slight_smile: (Admittedly, we do speak openly about these issues)

I am sort of a devil’s advocate. Anyway, I have learnt about the inner and the outer guru. And although I do recieve a few touches from my inner guru, I am falling short in transfroming my life to make the meeting with the outer guru possible. But I migh be getting closer everyday.

When you meet a real guru, fancy word for a human being who is a greatly advanced individuality, you will know it. Such a meeting is life changing. And while, for the last 2000 years, the presence and role of the guru has changed from being absolutley necessary to being just “immensly” helpful, the importance of the outer guru is similar to that of a mathematics teacher. Good luck ariving to highly developed mathematical thinking without such a teacher. Similarly, you won’t get far in your sipritual endeavour without a spiritual guide, helper.
Few pwople are able to have a conscious link with their guardian angel (those scary christian people someone ementioned do exactly this, although may time they mistake their angel to God, and who can blame them) but even advanced practitioners are beginners as they advance to eve higher stages. A guru, a guide, helper in human shape is invaluable.

And whenever your conscience questions something, you listen to it well. Yes, we do have simpathies and antipathies, and through the pratice of equanimity we should try to raise our discernment above these. But when you feel that something stinks, it usually does. Good guides, gurus, do not lie at every corner.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;33220]I think I should make a difference.

what if you saw you guru drinking whiskey and hanging out with whores, smoking drugs and bad-wording in the “doll-house?” Would that make a difference what kind of person he/she is?

So where is that edge between excess and asceticism?[/QUOTE]

If he was a kind caring person with others, worried about other people’s lives, it won’t make a difference to me on what kind of person he is. You can destroy your life if you want to, but always remain kind to others.

As well, using some Versace Shades and living the life you describe do differ a little bit don’t you agree? Or should I be considered a waste of person since I use Ralph Laurent suits for work?

As the Dalai Lama said once: The answer is always in the “middle”…

[QUOTE=CityMonk;31087]Today I spoke to guru and I noted her golden jewelry and Vercase glasses and it is really confused me…[/QUOTE]

I know what your saying. Just because someone teaches Yoga, doesn’t mean that they are not vulnerable and in need of attention. If I see someone drive past in a new BMW, I do my best not to think ‘what an insecure wanker’, I try to think ‘poor guy, he’s must be very vulnerable and just wants to loved and respected’

I’d like to have a Porsche 911 turbo s. It’s got like 530 horsepower. It’s small and handles like a champ.

Could it be percieved by some as me looking for love. I suppose.

I just want it cause its BAD TO THE BONE. These are my likes.

I like athletics. Swimming and running and lifting is fun.

Could it be percieved that I was fit because I was looking for love? I suppose…

But I like athletics . . .

John Friend:"For me money is [I]Shakti[/I]. It is, essentially, [I]power[/I]. You can use it to enhance life or to harm life. Money can be exchanged for things that bring happiness and freedom from suffering?food, medicine, housing, warm clothing. And it can be used to buy weapons and things that are harmful to life and binding to consciousness.

Because it is necessary to sustain life as we know it, and because it can be used as a means to happiness, pleasure, and power over others, it is in great demand! However, money is not non-spiritual or bad in of itself. It is a power, so it depends on the intention with which it is used. Therefore, in society I would like to see the most virtuous and conscious people have plenty of money, so that the greater good of the society would be best served.

Many people recognize the tremendous pull and allure of making a lot of money, since it is considered a means to fulfilling some of our most fundamental desires, including security. We all know instances of when the desire for money has corrupted someone?s ethical integrity, including spiritual teachers.

The intersection between money and any path, whether it is spiritual or material, is only unhealthy when it draws the mind and heart away from the highest intention of spiritual freedom. Does it help you to remember and move toward the interconnected Spirit, or does it draw you into only focusing on gratifying your individualist desires?"

From this interview with John Friend that was featured in in Elephant Journal.

*nichole

I think everyone wants stuff. We are all insecure to a certain extent. If we were ‘enlightened’, we wouldn’t want anything. There’s our needs are food and shelter, everything else is Bulls@#t attempt to make us happy when you thing about it.

I live in Miami and the Catholic Preists down here drive white escalades :stuck_out_tongue:
I am not catholic, but I am just tring to prove a point.
I don’t know but seeing a guru in versace would not even surprise me anymore.

I think its a regional thing.

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;33559]I think everyone wants stuff. We are all insecure to a certain extent. If we were ‘enlightened’, we wouldn’t want anything. There’s our needs are food and shelter, everything else is Bulls@#t attempt to make us happy when you thing about it.[/QUOTE]

Agree… but once again…

A shelter can be a hut with the restroom outside…and a shelter can be luxurious castle in the Swiss mountains.

A food can be as simple as raw roots and as sophisticated as you can think of:)

and where is the “middle” someone mentioned in the post above? Who can draw that median line?

What is considered an excess and what is total asceticism?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;34065]Agree… but once again…

A shelter can be a hut with the restroom outside…and a shelter can be luxurious castle in the Swiss mountains.

A food can be as simple as raw roots and as sophisticated as you can think of:)

and where is the “middle” someone mentioned in the post above? Who can draw that median line?

What is considered an excess and what is total asceticism?[/QUOTE]

Yeah that’s a tricky questions. I think ultimately we need food, clothing and shelter, and then everything else is just rubbish. I like to favor more of an asceticism way of life. I think it’s very healthy, and shows that you are quite content and happy when you are able do without. Also if you do without, it’s makes it more enjoyable if someone buys you something, or you go out for a nice meal. Having said that, my partner loves ‘stuff’. New phones, shoes, clothes, holidays, flowers, presents, and I like to make her happy. I like to cook nice food for people, and take people out for a nice time, so it’d hard to avoid a certain amount of excess. I think as long as we live in an excessive culture, we should probably strive for doing without as much as possible, and finding happiness from within.