Homosexuality

what should be a meditator or yogi’s view about homosexuality? is it immoral? is it really something to get embarassed about?
does the Divine/God tolerate homosexuality? or is it true that it is displeasing?
are there homosexual people in the spiritual paths? does this kind of gender prference impede with their spiritual journey?
i hope these questions don’t offend anyone but would rather give answers. this concerns me a lot.

Hello,

My view is:

[B]what should be a meditator or yogi’s view about homosexuality?[/B]
The same as heterosexuality. Temperance is a good attitude on sexual practices for an spiritual student.

[B]is it immoral?[/B]
I don’t know. But it doesn’t matter. Yoga philosophy is beyond morality and immorality as both are rooted in mental predispositions and modifications.

[B]is it really something to get embarassed about?[/B]
Absolutely not. Don’t feel embarrassed for loving another person.
[B]
does the Divine/God tolerate homosexuality?[/B]
You/we are that divine God, so tolerate yourself and others and be happy.

[B]are there homosexual people in the spiritual paths?[/B]
There have to be.

[B]does this kind of gender prference impede with their spiritual journey?[/B]
Much as that of an heterosexual. Sexual drive, regardless of its orientation can be disturbing and blocking, or can be sublimated to the divine. As I said before, temperance is a good approach.

If they are two grown up person which are happy in their mutual agreement with what they do and if what they do dont harm others . Why should we have an opinion against their happiness ? would we like if someone removed what made us happy? No i guess not.

Actually by being against it one goes down to the level of the ego by judging. jesus said dont judge others and you will not be judged.

Buddhist prays may all beings be happy.

4.& 5. "Whatever living beings there may be — feeble or strong (or the seekers and the attained) long, stout, or of medium size, short, small, large, those seen or those unseen, those dwelling far or near, those who are born as well as those yet to be born — may all beings have happy minds.

So its our choice to judge them but that will only make the journey longer.

I’m not a spiritualist yogi, but by my subjective morals I don’t have an issue with homosexuality.

thank you. i hope your eloquent answers also help those other people here who have the same questions as mine.

We have enough to do without concerning ourselves with other people’s “business” -

According to some of the more “macho” men that I’ve tried to get into yoga…

“Any guy that does yoga is gay.”

In all seriousness though, if a person is gay and is looking for friends who will accept them I think that they should start going to yoga classes.

Since there are 10 girls for every guy in most yoga classes, I hope they keep thinking that and leave those girls to us.

In all seriousness, I am happily married so I don’t think about such things anymore, but when I was single, I ended up with three girlfriends from my yoga studio over the course of a couple years, and I wasn’t trying that hard…

Interesting I look forward to the dialogue.

Tonight I’ll venture this:

what should be a meditator or yogi’s view about homosexuality?
One without judgement

is it immoral?
Morality: a particular system of values and principles of conduct, esp. one held by a specified person or society.
In my society homosexuality is legal, protected, and guaranteed by our laws and constitution.

is it really something to get embarassed about?
It is easy to be outside looking in and say it is nothing to be embarrassed by, of course you shouldn’t have to be embarrassed, keep talking, keep reaching out.

does the Divine/God tolerate homosexuality, on the paths, or does it impede with their spiritual journey?
The Yogic, Vedic and Hindu myths and history are rich and varied describing gods unlimited and untethered by any gender association, a rainbow of incarnations, manifestations, interchangeable moods, gender, and companions.

The love of and devotion to the divine transcends human rules, morays and folkways. Indeed sexual activity or inactivity is typically viewed as dharmic only when it falls within the confines of marriage, with notable exceptions such as the student stage when abstinence is courted, and later in the renouncer stage when celibacy is obtained as, attachment and desires that court karma are conquered, mastered.

If one considers Truth to be a popularity contest of the population than you’ll be programed into believing and judging right/wrong, good/bad, moral/immoral, this/that no matter the subject.

[QUOTE=Jared Six;84673]According to some of the more “macho” men that I’ve tried to get into yoga…

In all seriousness though, if a person is gay and is looking for friends who will accept them I think that they should start going to yoga classes.[/QUOTE]

haha… and as a “gay man”, I like and may consider dating my female teacher lol…

To be fair, I think when yoga became mainstream it had a billing of being feminine. I bet if the gurus at Mysore heard that, most of whom have been men for many centuries, they’d laugh their heads off.

[QUOTE=Jared Six;84673]In all seriousness though, if a person is gay and is looking for friends who will accept them I think that they should start going to yoga classes.[/QUOTE]

This actually applies evenly to all human beings. We all seek acceptance, regardless of sexual preference or orientation.

However this acceptance in yoga class assumes that yoga is actually going on therein. And that certainly is a stretch these days.

[QUOTE=Yogamark;84758]Interesting I look forward to the dialogue.

Tonight I’ll venture this:

what should be a meditator or yogi’s view about homosexuality?
One without judgement

is it immoral?
Morality: a particular system of values and principles of conduct, esp. one held by a specified person or society.
In my society homosexuality is legal, protected, and guaranteed by our laws and constitution.

is it really something to get embarassed about?
It is easy to be outside looking in and say it is nothing to be embarrassed by, of course you shouldn’t have to be embarrassed, keep talking, keep reaching out.

does the Divine/God tolerate homosexuality, on the paths, or does it impede with their spiritual journey?
The Yogic, Vedic and Hindu myths and history are rich and varied describing gods unlimited and untethered by any gender association, a rainbow of incarnations, manifestations, interchangeable moods, gender, and companions.

The love of and devotion to the divine transcends human rules, morays and folkways. Indeed sexual activity or inactivity is typically viewed as dharmic only when it falls within the confines of marriage, with notable exceptions such as the student stage when abstinence is courted, and later in the renouncer stage when celibacy is obtained as, attachment and desires that court karma are conquered, mastered.[/QUOTE]

There is no real evidence of a universal morality, as it’s not like a law of gravity and there are no morals as part of our psychology. Condemnation of gays in Western culture is of course historically stemming from the Bible/Christianity, little else.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;84816]This actually applies evenly to all human beings. We all seek acceptance, regardless of sexual preference or orientation.

However this acceptance in yoga class assumes that yoga is actually going on therein. And that certainly is a stretch these days.[/QUOTE]

Regarding acceptance, yogis/yoginis are all unique and not all of us would be as accepting or tolerant as the next. If there are racist or homophobic Christians, even though the spirit of Jesus’ teachings forbids this, then yogis/yoginis who are spiritual may also have prejudices.

And that, my friend, is why I stated that yoga has to actually be going on for the assumption to hold.

It is not a violation of one’s individuality. A student’s uniqueness remains intact. It is an absorption of teachings to a certain level that facilitates a deeper understanding, compassion, and acceptance. When that is not being taught or when the student is blocking or resisting the teachings (truth) then Yoga is not afoot, no matter what the sign on the shingle says.

Very interesting thread. Remember Ahimsa-causing no injury towards one’s deeds, words and thoughts. Denouncing homosexuals would be contradicting such practices. They’re not harming anyone, why cause them great pain? Just my honest opinion.

[QUOTE=Sexy Yogi;84914]Very interesting thread. Remember Ahimsa-causing no injury towards one’s deeds, words and thoughts. Denouncing homosexuals would be contradicting such practices. They’re not harming anyone, why cause them great pain? Just my honest opinion.[/QUOTE]

right

who care’s what someone does in the bedroom, its not my place to judge.

To JHW: Sadly, some people (perhaps not you but many others) who claim they don’t care what people do in their bedrooms still get upset when they meet gay couples at social gatherings. As if it never occurred to them that what goes on in the bedroom indirectly affects all aspects of life. Aspects like whom you care for, who is your emergency go-to, or what the answer to the question “so is your husband/wife also into yoga?” may be. It seems that this particular sentence (“Who cares what goes on in the bedroom”) is often uttered by people who really wish the gayness in peoples lives could stay in the bedroom and never come out in the open. They go “hey, please don’t put your sexuality in my face like that”. As if this was the intention…

There are still some moralisms to be found in classical yoga texts, such as Yoga Mala by Sri Pattabhi Jois. Nothing about homosexuality (I think), but other “advice” regarding when and how to have sex with your partner. I personally find this hard to muster, and I do think the question at the top is relevant.

[QUOTE=Aurora B;84940]To JHW: Sadly, some people (perhaps not you but many others) who claim they don’t care what people do in their bedrooms still get upset when they meet gay couples at social gatherings. As if it never occurred to them that what goes on in the bedroom indirectly affects all aspects of life. Aspects like whom you care for, who is your emergency go-to, or what the answer to the question “so is your husband/wife also into yoga?” may be. It seems that this particular sentence (“Who cares what goes on in the bedroom”) is often uttered by people who really wish the gayness in peoples lives could stay in the bedroom and never come out in the open. They go “hey, please don’t put your sexuality in my face like that”. As if this was the intention…

There are still some moralisms to be found in classical yoga texts, such as Yoga Mala by Sri Pattabhi Jois. Nothing about homosexuality (I think), but other “advice” regarding when and how to have sex with your partner. I personally find this hard to muster, and I do think the question at the top is relevant.[/QUOTE]

Know plenty of gay people, they all have a great sense of humor. I think those who are too sensitive are the issue.

As a matter of fact, homosexuality is just the same as heterosexuality. Less prejudice. Never shame on it.