Kundalini Yoga

Hello everyone, I was wondering how to raise your kundalini spirit? I heard that it’s amazing once you do.

Try Sahaja yoga. I started 20 years ago Sahaja yoga and results are marvellous.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2324837246189907116#

yeah i’ve tried that but I just don’t feel any results except the cool breeze above my head and in my palms.

This is good start. Contact local center and they will provide more info.
http://www.sahajayoga.org/worldwidecontacts/default.asp
Meanwhile you can try to meditate with your attention above your Sahasrara and stay without thought. Try this for 10-15 min.

[QUOTE=KundaliniGirl;43892]Hello everyone, I was wondering how to raise your kundalini spirit? I heard that it’s amazing once you do.[/QUOTE]

First let us see what is Kundalini:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8101989694941061600#

[QUOTE=oak333;44229]First let us see what is Kundalini:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8101989694941061600#[/QUOTE]

all the kundalini retreats remind me of some sort of sect…bunch of people praying and chanting, etc.

maybe I went to the wrong place:)?

Kundalini FAQ

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~keutzer/kundalini/kundalini-faq.html

I took a quiz on the yoga journal website and I found that Kundalini yoga would be my prefered style to look into because of my spiritual side.

Maybe, you should not focus on raising your Kundalini and let that be a ‘by product’ of your spiritual practice rather than the goal of it.

Call me ‘old fashioned’, but I believe that this knowledge was kept hidden for a very good reason.

Even when I started my sadhana, if I even mentioned the word, my teachers and co-yogis would all glare at me rather disapprovingly.
I have sort of carried that with me.

Kundalini is elevator. What you prefer, to climb stairs or to use elevator?

that is a very good point :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Nobody;44324]Maybe, you should not focus on raising your Kundalini and let that be a ‘by product’ of your spiritual practice rather than the goal of it.

Call me ‘old fashioned’, but I believe that this knowledge was kept hidden for a very good reason.

Even when I started my sadhana, if I even mentioned the word, my teachers and co-yogis would all glare at me rather disapprovingly.
I have sort of carried that with me.[/QUOTE]

‘Nobody’ has put forth a very valid point. Many yogis get caught up in enjoying the Siddhis obtained as a result of mastering the Kundalini. As a result, they tend stray from the path to spirituality. They use the powers of Kundalini to massage their false egos & get worshipped!..maybe that’s why this knowledge was kept hidden.

Regards,
Shahvir

[QUOTE=b.shahvir;44393]‘Nobody’ has put forth a very valid point. Many yogis get caught up in enjoying the Siddhis obtained as a result of mastering the Kundalini. As a result, they tend stray from the path to spirituality. They use the powers of Kundalini to massage their false egos & get worshipped!..maybe that’s why this knowledge was kept hidden.

Regards,
Shahvir[/QUOTE]

That is exactly right, but there’s a lot more to it (that’s rather difficult to explain).

From what I understand, Kundalini can only be aroused if/when one is totally desireless.

Even the desire to experience the awakening of Kundalini is also a desire. It is the most selfish desire to want to become totally ‘self-less’.

I have heard many yogis lament: ‘I have done everything…every Asana, every Pranayama…I have meditated for years and still the Goddess has not graced me…what am I doing wrong?’

Fact is, the Goddess will only bestow grace when [I]She[/I] is ready and not when you are.

I have suggested to such yogis not to ‘expect’ anything from their Sadhana. The moment they dropped their expectations and desires, they achieved what they were looking for.

Not only are Siddhis an impediment to actual Spiritual growth, the desire to obtain them often leaves many falling flat on their face.

Also, the raising of Kundalini is the ‘end product’ of Sadhana and not a ‘starting point’. Often, people will look at yoga and before anything will go 'ooh…that Kundalini raising seems like a very good idea, let’s do that!'
They totally disrespect all of the hard work and there is [I]no[/I] short-cut here.

Yes, you can take an elevator to the top of the mountain, stay there for a few minutes before falling off and killing yourself OR you can climb up, remain there indefinitely and enjoy the view for the rest of your life.

The choice is yours.

I am curious what is the feeling of these who claim that they have awakened Kundalini.
How they feel this Kundalini?

[QUOTE=Seeker33;44397]I am curious what is the feeling of these who claim that they have awakened Kundalini.
How they feel this Kundalini?
[/QUOTE]
I like that smiley lol

Now, on topic and to answer your question.

I honestly believe that most people who claim to have awakened Kundalini never really have.

When certain Chakras become active, they can produce various stimuli and heat in the back and all that and many confuse awakening their Heart or Brow Chakra with raising Kundalini.

Having said that, who can either praise or discredit them?

Raising Kundalini is a very personal matter and nobody knows except for the Sadhak and even then, it's difficult to personally tell.

They may have had a very profound experience...'seen' pretty lights, 'heard' sounds...realised their Brahmanic nature...changed their whole lifestyle...

That just may be a very 'profound experience' though and nothing more.

[QUOTE=Nobody;44398]
I honestly believe that most people who claim to have awakened Kundalini never really have.
When certain Chakras become active, they can produce various stimuli and heat in the back and all that and many confuse awakening their Heart or Brow Chakra with raising Kundalini.
Having said that, who can either praise or discredit them?
Raising Kundalini is a very personal matter and nobody knows except for the Sadhak and even then, it's difficult to personally tell.
They may have had a very profound experience...'seen' pretty lights, 'heard sounds'...realised their Brahmanic nature...changed their whole lifestyle...
That just may be a very 'profound experience' though and nothing more.[/QUOTE]

I have my experience with awakening of Kundalini with Sahaja yoga and I can feel how Kundalini gently is moving from chakra to chakra.
This is very personal as you said.
There is nothing like pain.

[QUOTE=Seeker33;44399]I have my experience with awakening of Kundalini with Sahaja yoga and I can feel how Kundalini gently is moving from chakra to chakra.
This is very personal as you said.
There is nothing like pain.
[/QUOTE]

I have read a lot (yeah, I read too much for my own good) lol

Anyway, in one's 'Aural Sheath' along the spine, there are three Nadis...the central Nadi is called Sushumna, the one on the left is called Ida and the one on the right is called Pingala.

With proper Sadhana, the Kundalini energy is trained to travel up the Sushumna Nadi and this is where you will receive the most spiritual benefit.

If the practice is hasty and the Kundalini energy is 'forced' to rise, it will take the most convenient and 'unblocked' route to the Crown Chakra, this will often be up one of the two adjacent Nadis.

When that happens, there will be pain, illness, mental distress and a whole host of other neuro-somatic ailments...

I have also experienced 'things'....I would like to personally believe that I have awakened Kundalini, but the fact remains:

1. Even if I have, it wouldn't be something that I would be willing to admit/testify to &
  2. I can also 'come down' and be very recalcitrant, obnoxious and hedonistic as well. :evil:

Which leads me to the biggest question there is:

So, goodo, you have raised Kundalini...now what, you gonna be stuck in Samadhi forever or are you going to be 'materialistic' when you need to be?

Kundalini is intelligent energy and she will not harm us in any way. Kundalini has a lot of string and at the beginning in Sahaja yoga only 1-2 stings get awakened, because our chakras are not ready for this.

Later with regular practise you can awaken more stings of Kundalini. If your Kundalini is awakened you can feel cool or hot breeze coming from your Sahasrara.

[QUOTE=Seeker33;44407]Kundalini is intelligent energy and she will not harm us in any way. Kundalini has a lot of string and at the beginning in Sahaja yoga only 1-2 stings get awakened, because our chakras are not ready for this.

Later with regular practise you can awaken more stings of Kundalini. If your Kundalini is awakened you can feel cool or hot breeze coming from your Sahasrara.

[/QUOTE]

Whilst I appreciate your experiences and the branch of yoga that you follow, I was instructed in a more traditional sense.

According to your teachings, Kundalini exists in 'strands' and those who have awakened it feel a 'breeze' emanating from their Crown Chakra..

No disrespect, but that whole notion just doesn't sit right with me, especially with pictures like that sorta going 'feel the awesome powah!!!'....
It all just seems too 'gimmicky'...too 'convenient'...

If it has worked for you, that's very good and I respect that...but it reminds me of those videos I saw ages ago from the Raj Kumaris (IIRC) jumping about in padmasana to 'prove' they have defeated the very laws of gravity itself and have mastered the art of 'levitation'...

According to the way that I was taught, Kundalini is an 'all or nothing' experience and can be either beneficial or detrimental on an individual basis.

I strongly recommend both you and the OP read/study the works of Pundit Gopi Krishna to gain more of an insight into my whole philosophy regarding this.

I have the same experience couple of times. The question is how to maintain this connection all the time.
http://www.om-guru.com/html/saints/gopi.html
The breeze above the head is shown on some ancient pictures. The last is from sahaja yogis: