Pranic Foods

I have read that some foods decrease the energy (prana) and some foods increase the energy (prana).

Typical is garlic. Although it is actually quite healthy, it decreases your amount of energy.

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5051.html

According to the yoga tradition, Sattvic foods (fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, seeds, dairy products) promotes the flow of prana in the nadis and must be taken for increasing our spirituality. I am following a vegan diet with a sattvic flavor, which means that I do not eat garlic, onions, potatoes, etc.

Its really important to eat mostly sattvic food, especially at the beginning. I have this "Ayurvedic Cooking" book. There is a nice table in it, where products are divided into 3 columns: sattvic, rajasic and tamasic. Though the separation is not completely accurate - author mentions that they have different points of view on some products (e.g. garlic, onions etc.) Bliss, good for you. Only one question: you wrote, that you are a vegan, so what is your reason not to have dairy products? I mean, its easier for me to find relatively healthy dairy products, than get a full nutrition without them.

look up hyp, grehanda samhita or shiv samhita, these are classical texts on hatha yoga. they will give out what to eat and what not to eat. even what is required of a yogi’

This is the way I check grains and seeds for prana. I put them in the water for few days and if they start to grow - I will eat them. That mwans they have prana, not just “nutrients”:slight_smile:

CityMonk, very interesting! What kinds of grains do you sprout this way? Do you cook them, or eat them raw?

I posted this is the “cold season” thread also, but can anyone recommend foods/spices/herbs that are suited to cold climates and warming the body other than onions and garlic?

Also, what is wrong with potatoes? I understand why onions and garlic are bad from prana, but I know that my Guru’s Guru ate potatoes often during his Yoga Sadhana, and I have never been told to avoid them. Same for cabbage, but I have heard bad things about it as well.
Any advice?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;42059]This is the way I check grains and seeds for prana. I put them in the water for few days and if they start to grow - I will eat them. That mwans they have prana, not just “nutrients”:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. That was great advice. I placed almonds in water over night -and they were great.

From an Ayurvedic point of view doesn?t this all depend on your Dosha?

[QUOTE=Tanguerita;42063]CityMonk, very interesting! What kinds of grains do you sprout this way? Do you cook them, or eat them raw?[/QUOTE]

cooked… and raw (when I lazy to cook:)

brown rice ( the white dont grow)
millet
rye
whole wheat
quinoa
whole oats
buckwheat
etc, whatewer you can find on the market

I made a little zip locks qith these grains and demo them in my yoga class:)LOL

[QUOTE=oak333;42148]Thanks. That was great advice. I placed almonds in water over night -and they were great.[/QUOTE]

That is a good one too! have you tried hazelnuts the same way?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;42170]That is a good one too! have you tried hazelnuts the same way?[/QUOTE]

No, but I will try hazelnuts too. Thanks.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;42168]cooked… and raw (when I lazy to cook:)

brown rice ( the white dont grow)
millet
rye
whole wheat
quinoa
whole oats
buckwheat
etc, whatewer you can find on the market

I made a little zip locks qith these grains and demo them in my yoga class:)LOL[/QUOTE]

Now I have to thank you again-for quinoa. I did not even know about it. Today I cooked it very simply-like you cook steamed rice. It is delicious, if you eat it with milk, like cereals.

Extra, I have seen that it contains proteins (average 16.2 %) in a nice combination with aminoacids. It is just great.

[QUOTE=Sasha;41984]Its really important to eat mostly sattvic food, especially at the beginning. I have this "Ayurvedic Cooking" book. There is a nice table in it, where products are divided into 3 columns: sattvic, rajasic and tamasic. Though the separation is not completely accurate - author mentions that they have different points of view on some products (e.g. garlic, onions etc.) Bliss, good for you. Only one question: you wrote, that you are a vegan, so what is your reason not to have dairy products? I mean, its easier for me to find relatively healthy dairy products, than get a full nutrition without them.[/QUOTE]

Sasha - In India Dairy product (Milk) is considered to be Sattvic. We all drink Milk as kids from our mothers. Milk is the most natural & pure food full of energy. Any dairly which is fermented should not be considered sattvic (IMHO) eg Cheese

And youre right, Ramils. All sorts of cheese (including salt-free: cottage cheese, Adygean etc) are rajasic. It doesnt mean that they are unhealthy, though.
I still like it very much. In addition it contains a lot of protein so its good for vegetarians balanced nutrition. Vegans may not get enough protein without dairy products.
What else I meant, in the post you quoted, is that some vegans say cows live in bad conditions and eat synthetic fodder, so most dairy products are unhealthy…

Well… What is Synthetic Fodder? Is it like Chemicals etc? If thats case case then my friend - We ar ein big touble becaue most of th efod we eat now a days is mixed with so many chemials that we dont even know. Milk will be less of a worry…!!!

Hey Sneha - The Almonds change their Guna based on how you eat them. After placing them overnite in water - do you eat them raw(ofcourse th einner part) or do you make a paste and then drink it. If you do the later - It is very beneficial and cools down your body and gives energy to mind - very good in Summer. But if you eat raw, ( even if not placing in water), it gives you energy and heat…so very good in winter.

Hi everyone I am new here and have recently graduated as an Ayurvedic consultant and Ayurveda is all about food. Food is medicine and food will greatly influence all aspects of you being, mentally, spiritually and physically. There are two things you have to consider- the Gunas and the Doshas.
Food that is Rajasic will create energy and things like garlic, onions and most spices fall into this category. Rajas is important as energy is important and it is transformative. Tammas is the dull, heavy energy and foods that are old, oily, refined and processed are considered Tamassic. Too much and you will too be dull and sluggish just like what you eat. There is very little prana in this kind of food so you will get very little prana from the food. Like increases like is how things work according to Ayurveda. Sattva is where we want to be and foods that are organic and fresh are full of prana. Sattva is bliss and tranquility and to achieve this we need to eat foods that are high in Prana. Of course yoga meditation, mindfulness and a positive life is also necessary.
The doshas fall into two categories, are our current state of imbalance (Vikruti) and your natural state at the time of conception (Pakruti). The doshas relate to the 5 elements vata -ether (space), Pitta - air, Kapha - fire, water and earth. You need to eat foods that will create harmony according to which doshas are dominant or excessive.
Since I started studying Ayurveda I have seriously changed how i look at food and what I eat, how i cook and my approach to healing. it’s an amazing approach to life and I just love the way it shares philosophies with yoga. A great combination. Those ancient yogis/rishis really were amazing people.

Sneha - why do you take the posts of others and repost them as yours?

Hi guys,I’m sneha ,I Thankful to you… That was great advice. I placed almonds in water over night -and they were great information advise…

Those words were originally posted by Oak333.