Swadhisthana location?

Dear explorers of the subtle body:

Where do you locate your swadhisthana chakra in your subtle body? What’s the sensation you have?

The information available out there is confusing and contradictory. And this time it does not depend on the system, lineage or master, as the chakras are something universal and absolute, they should be at the same position in all human beings.

My experience: I locate it as a vibrating prana vortex at the very base of the spine, in a kind of lower tip in my backbone, just behind the region of the anus, and at perineum’s height, almost at muladhara chakra’s height.

Drop some lines…

Thank you!

It is confusing, I agree, and there is little consistency. What I was taught and found somewhat consistent in my books is Swadhisthana is located between the navel and genitals at the sacrum, or 2 finger widths up from Mooladara.

[QUOTE=panoramix;66683]Dear explorers of the subtle body:

The information available out there is confusing and contradictory. And this time it does not depend on the system, lineage or master, (as) IF the chakras are something universal and absolute, they should be at the same position in all human beings.

Drop some lines…

Thank you![/QUOTE]

You would think so.

Panoramix,

In my experience, chakras could be located only approxinately on long-lat of physical body. They move their locations, are active or semi-active at different times of the day and with different mind-states, sometimes pulsate.

I am sure there must be many methods to become aware of them. My guru described a rather interesting method of sensing chakras. With eyes closed, one traces the breathing along the spinal chord and silently says “Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti” respectively for muladhara, swadhisthan, manipur, anahat, vishshuddh, ajna and sahasrara. With slow inhalation, the higher octave Do is to be imagined somewhere above sahasrara belonging to nothingness from where in the following exhalation, it would descend on sahasrara with Ti and in reverse order, would end with lower Do at muladhara. With practice, one would create right frequency for each note to sense a chakra.

The above can also be done with nadi-shodhana.

[QUOTE=panoramix;66683]Dear explorers of the subtle body:
Where do you locate your swadhisthana chakra in your subtle body? What’s the sensation you have? [/QUOTE]
In the spinal cord at the level of connection of legs with the body.

panoramix,

“And this time it does not depend on the system, lineage or master, as the chakras are something universal and absolute, they should be at the same position in all human beings.”

Unless the different dimensions of the subtle body enter into your direct perception, one thing that should be understood is that all of this talk about chakras, nadis, and so on - are just simply models, they are skillful means - just a finger pointing to the moon. If you look in certain yogic traditions - the color associated with the Sahasrara is violet, for others, white. Some have said that ajna is indigo, others - orange. Some have said that there are 72,000 nadis, others have said that there are 300,000 nadis. Some have said that the awakening of Kundalini takes place at the center of the navel, others have said that it happens at the base of the spine. These are all just different descriptions which were intended as temporary models to use along the path - the moment you start mistaking these words and descriptions for the reality itself - one immediately becomes entangled in delusion. If you really want to know of the different levels of energy within the subtle body - then you will have to practice and continue practicing like an arrow which is unwavering - these are things that become revealed as part of the process of the expansion of consciousness. Until you come to a direct perception of such things, everything that you have accepted without question is nothing more than a hypothesis. Useful, but dangerous if you are clinging to things which have no relevance in your direct experience.

Thank you all for your replies!

@Suhas: The question that arises in my mind out of your reply is… could a “displaced” chakra be a sign of malfunctioning, either at physical or psychological level? Could it be a sign the aspirant is doing something wrong in his life?

Good question and I doubt whether this is a complete answer. I will stick to my personal experience. Chakras are very subtle, belong to the astral body. When activated chakras act like mini-brains to take over sensing from outward-bound physical sense organs. They also control the secretions of various glands to regulate body functions that manifest on the physical level. Unless one is born with rich spiritual legacy, chakras start extinguishing as we grow. As a toddler, we struggle physically to learn physical skills to survive. As a teenager, our ego gets built beginning the hardships for the astral body. As adults, we start living by emotions and bring a wholesale hurt and bruise to the astral body. Unaware of it, we rampantly abuse astral body while seeking physical well-being.

Consequently, chakras do malfunction and eventually become redundant. The root cause of many diseases can be found in glandular imbalance the cause of which goes back to weak chakras. (today’s medical research perhaps knows about this or is shy of admitting a subtle element into their “hard” evidence. Knowing this is also inconvenient to the mighty pharmas since there is money in cure, none in prevention.)

But, you have brought out an excellent point. Yes, a displaced, weak or malfunctioning chakra is undoubtedly a result of a person’s wrong physical behavior, wasteful intellectual acrobatics, indulgent emotional swings and utter lack of any spiritual awareness. The health of chakras, and this is important, is definitely an early warning of impending diseases. The whole Ayurveda is based on this premise.

That is why, Yoga Sutra puts as Yoga’s goal “healing of the psyche”.

(Note: chakras are subtle and will not present a medical picture as precise/ vivid as today’s mainstream practice. But, we need to move towards it. Secondly, a high-end philosophising of stalwarts like AmirMourad, also hurts the cause. All the disparate narrations about chakras are due to the developmental phase. Until, one reaches ability to perceive chakras, one has to use some approximation, some guesswork and some experimentation.)

@Suhas:

Could deprivation of a natural urge, for example sex, be included in the series of abuses or wrong physical behaviours?

Yes and no.

As long as it is a perceived deprivation of any desire it will bring its own repercussions. In the ordinary life we are constantly torn between expectations and adverse outcome, desires and deprivation, need to know and half-truth. A sense of deprivation is a root cause of many ailments. But it is the perception that hurts, not a lack of fulfillment.

But, assuming that you are asking this question in the context of Yoga (particularly, yama of abstention from sex) we need to examine it more clearly. Our mind makes us believe that the act (the cause) is same as happiness (the effect). As any repetitions of the act do not guarantee happiness, the absence of the act does not necessarily deprive. In calling it a natural urge we imply some kind of “helplessness” about it. It is one of mind’s tricks. Urges may be rooted in the physical body but their expression is clothed in the emotions and the culture. In Yoga, one shifts the awareness from physical to astral to causal levels and the nature of urges (and the intensity) changes dramatically. The Yoga masters do not suppress desires, they have no desires. They develop relaxed indifference towards impulses, making them unworthy of attention, thought or action.

the chkra chart is just a model…just an approximate chart.

[QUOTE=Suhas Tambe;66777]Yes and no.[/QUOTE]

The sense of deprivation could cause imbalances in a chakra then…

[QUOTE=CityMonk;66810]the chkra chart is just a model…just an approximate chart.[/QUOTE]

But the chakras themselves are real.

[QUOTE=panoramix;66835]But the chakras themselves are real.[/QUOTE]

but can you say that the swadhistana is just exactly two inches down that navel then 3 inches inside the body and a little bit up:)?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;67000]but can you say that the swadhistana is just exactly two inches down that navel then 3 inches inside the body and a little bit up:)?[/QUOTE]

No, definitely that’s not my experience.

In my experience, Swadhisthan chakra operates right at the base of the regenerative organs, 2 - 3 inches inside. Having said that, this is an approximate location. Actual location changes from person to person, time to time, +/ - 1 or 2 inches.

Muladhara (at the bottom end of the spinal cord) and Swadhisthana are the fountains of energy. At birth, the first breath brings Muladhara alive and generate energy by fusion of cells and the second breath kicks in Swadhisthana to start producing energy by fission. In growing up, these chakras are superseded by the emotional swings and start rusting. So, we need to pay attention to them and re-kindle them through meditation.

[QUOTE=Suhas Tambe;67047]In growing up, these chakras are superseded by the emotional swings and start rusting. So, we need to pay attention to them and re-kindle them through meditation.[/QUOTE]

Could that be the reason why I feel them blur or less sharply than higher chakras?

Could it be linked to the fact that the first three contain “negative” vrittis in their petals?

It is beyond me to say why the above chakras are sensed more sharply than the lower two. So, allow me to guess. More vivid experience of higher chakras could be a result of your more capable inner sensing rather than the chakras being stronger. The higher charkras receive their prana energy through the ascending streak from the lower two. Hence, you may be experiencing the higher chakras as ‘off’ and 'on.

Manipur is completely negative as it accumlates imppresions of fear through the entire human historty. Anahat has two parts, one is completely negative. They block a free flow of upward-bound energy.

[QUOTE=Asuri;66709]You would think so.[/QUOTE]

Yes, much better thus.

[QUOTE=Suhas Tambe;67052]Manipur is completely negative as it accumlates imppresions of fear through the entire human historty. Anahat has two parts, one is completely negative. They block a free flow of upward-bound energy.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Suhas.