Uncertified Yoga Teacher

Only you know what recipe will serve YOUR cooking.

not five weekends as 200hr program is

I don’t think there’s any way to do 200 hours in 5 weekends.

Did you mean five full weeks?

copying from the website

5 Months/2 weekends per month

weekends means entire Saturday and Sunday for 5 month. …

your are right … it comes up as 100hr…:? Let me call them, and I will post the answer.

PS. Compare to Iyengar yoga certification Training Process :
The teacher training is for a minimum of 2 years… Sounds quite more credible:)

[QUOTE=calvinjones0101;40069]Every dark night is followed by a bright sunny day. So, patience and attention is
required and things will be fruitful in near future.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true!

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;39799]Only you know what recipe will serve YOUR cooking.[/QUOTE]

Yep:) and asking you as an experienced cook…
What is the process? you get your 200 or 500 hr certificate. Then you register with Yoga alliance to be RYT.? What about purna certificate? Is it separate from 200/500hr or in your case was it actually purna hours now just whatever hours?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Yogamark;40261][QUOTE=CityMonk;39854]copying from the website

5 Months/2 weekends per month

weekends means entire Saturday and Sunday for 5 month. …[/QUOTE]

The entire Saturday and Sunday? As in counting sleep hours? Even at an Ashram that is a stretch. Now a cave? That I’d have to surrender.

I recently completed my yoga training which included a 9 day retreat where we awoke to drums at 05:30 and retired with chants at 21:30.
But the hours after and before were not counted towards our 200 hours, nor should they. Yoga sleep really doesn’t cut it, and there are more fruitful ways to accumulate non-contact hours.

That said I totally recommend the training especially if it involves retreats or some sort of immersion in the “Practice of Yoga.” If I may quote Bryan Kest: “A training of this nature has to be an immersion.” You really should have to taste it!

Namaste

If you examine the standards put forth by Yoga Alliance you may note that not all of the 200 hours are contact hours. It appears that 75 hours of a 200-hour training may be non-contact hours while 125 must be contact hours. However the YA standards page is a bit confusing because they claim it is 180 contact hours after listing 125:-)

I don’t believe there’s any YA aligned training that counts sleeping hours as part of the training hours. While I haven’t examined the training being discussed, it does seem that 12.5 hours per day on the two weekend days times five months equals about 125 contact hours.

[QUOTE=Yogamark;40262][QUOTE=Yogamark;40261]

I recently completed my yoga training which included a 9 day retreat where we awoke to drums at 05:30 and retired with chants at 21:30.
But the hours after and before were not counted towards our 200 hours, nor should they. Yoga sleep really doesn’t cut it, and there are more fruitful ways to accumulate non-contact hours.

Namaste[/QUOTE]

Is this yoga training recognizable by Yoga Alliance?

This is a very controversial issue in the yoga community, I think. It’s a western money making concept to me…period…I bet Iyengar, Krishnamacharya, Pattabhi Jois, etc. are not “registered” with Yoga Alliance. I wonder who the makers are of this “Yoga Alliance” anyway? Why do they get to decide what qualifies someone? Who are these people? Yes, I have went on the site and read bios…for the most part, they’re other teachers. I am not a lesser or greater yoga teacher the day they cash my check for $150 (or so) than I was the day before.

[QUOTE=kdblaine;40371]This is a very controversial issue in the yoga community, I think. It’s a western money making concept to me…period…I bet Iyengar, Krishnamacharya, Pattabhi Jois, etc. are not “registered” with Yoga Alliance. I wonder who the makers are of this “Yoga Alliance” anyway? Why do they get to decide what qualifies someone? Who are these people? Yes, I have went on the site and read bios…for the most part, they’re other teachers. I am not a lesser or greater yoga teacher the day they cash my check for $150 (or so) than I was the day before.[/QUOTE]

Obviously if you can secure training by a venerable master yogi then by all means pursue this path with all speed, with my respect and restrained envy. For the rest of us, and the point of this thread, choosing a teacher may be a challenge. Yoga Alliance is an adhoc organization that provides a registry of teachers and Schools that follow their guidelines. There are many other like minded organizations, Yoga Alliance though is gaining more credibility of late and is world wide, well it is what it is, and it is really about providing the public a level of confidence in the quality and consistency of instruction. You do not have to be registered by Yoga Alliance, but at least with teacher training from a registered school you have some security, maybe a touch more credibility with your consumers, whereas with random un-registered yogis, well as you said. “Who are these people?”

[QUOTE=kdblaine;40371]This is a very controversial issue in the yoga community, I think. It’s a western money making concept to me…period…I bet Iyengar, Krishnamacharya, Pattabhi Jois, etc. are not “registered” with Yoga Alliance. I wonder who the makers are of this “Yoga Alliance” anyway? Why do they get to decide what qualifies someone? Who are these people? Yes, I have went on the site and read bios…for the most part, they’re other teachers. I am not a lesser or greater yoga teacher the day they cash my check for $150 (or so) than I was the day before.[/QUOTE]

With all due respect, the three masters you mention are in a lineage, committed their lives to the study and conveyance of yoga, practiced often for 8 hours per day, and did not label themselves yoga teachers after a 20 hour teacher training.

Nothing can be seen, assessed, or evaluated without a context.

[QUOTE=InnerAthlete;40426]With all due respect, the three masters you mention are in a lineage, committed their lives to the study and conveyance of yoga, practiced often for 8 hours per day, and did not label themselves yoga teachers after a 20 hour teacher training.

Nothing can be seen, assessed, or evaluated without a context.[/QUOTE]

But they are not registered with yoga alliance… :)))

[QUOTE=charliedharma;39358][QUOTE=CityMonk;39338]
If you think you can learn from books dvds just as well, would it not be as well to share this revelation with your students and stop teaching them . as by your definition they are being ripped off;-)
[/QUOTE]

1. I did not say that dvds and books is an optimal souse of learning. My point is that for $2000 (an average for 200hr) one can attend the best workshops and seminars, retreats. That can be more informative and tailored accordingly to partitioner level.

2. I would feel that I rip off my students if I teach yoga after only 200 hour training! That is incredible to take responsibility of teaching after [B]20 hours of anatomy[/B], [B]30 hours of yoga philosophy[/B], and [B]100 left for: asanas, pranayamas, kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation,[/B] and “OTHER YOGA TECHNIQUES”:))

I do not meant to negate an importance of 200 rys standards, but facts are speaking for themselves…

Lotusgirl, I’m glad to hear that yoga studios hire based on experience…

[QUOTE=CityMonk;40354][QUOTE=Yogamark;40262]

Is this yoga training recognizable by Yoga Alliance?[/QUOTE]

Yes CityMonk the training is recognized by Yoga Alliance, and yes I will be registered with Yoga Alliance in November.

[QUOTE=Yogamark;40649][QUOTE=CityMonk;40354]

Yes CityMonk the training is recognized by Yoga Alliance, and yes I will be registered with Yoga Alliance in November.[/QUOTE]

This is sounds interesting. Can you please give me more info on this.
Thank you

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;39340]I have loved gardening for many years and read tons of books and went to many workshops. I had an opportunity to go through Master Gardener training and I did. I went into it thinking, “How much more could I learn?” Boy was I surprised about what I didn’t know. I was ultimately glad I took this next step. [/QUOTE]

I see what you are saying… but lets assume that you are doing gardening for the entire life every day , since you are 10yo. Your parents have taught you how to plant and harvest, how to trim the trees and get rig of bugs and desease; you know 80% of the world plants by name, you have planted a beautiful garden in South America and one in the north pool.:slight_smile: And here the fellow comes just brand new from the gardening master training.

Guess who has more to share?

[QUOTE=CityMonk;53081]I see what you are saying… but lets assume that you are doing gardening for the entire life every day , since you are 10yo. Your parents have taught you how to plant and harvest, how to trim the trees and get rig of bugs and desease; you know 80% of the world plants by name, you have planted a beautiful garden in South America and one in the north pool.:slight_smile: And here the fellow comes just brand new from the gardening master training.

Guess who has more to share?[/QUOTE]

The intention of formal training is not to prove or suggest that those without it have nothing to share.

It’s possible that someone with a lot of training is a terrible teacher (or gardener), and it’s also possible that someone with no training is a wonderful teacher. I personally have learned so much from yoga teacher training courses and can’t imagine how I would have taught without them. At the same time, I saw people go through the same courses I did and appear to learn nothing. My point is, regardless of someone’s certificates or lackthereof, finding a teacher you jibe with is basically buying a pig in a poke until you actually take a class with that teacher.

[QUOTE=trinley;53116]The intention of formal training is not to prove or suggest that those without it have nothing to share.

It’s possible that someone with a lot of training is a terrible teacher (or gardener), and it’s also possible that someone with no training is a wonderful teacher. I personally have learned so much from yoga teacher training courses and can’t imagine how I would have taught without them. At the same time, I saw people go through the same courses I did and appear to learn nothing. My point is, regardless of someone’s certificates or lackthereof, finding a teacher you jibe with is basically buying a pig in a poke until you actually take a class with that teacher.[/QUOTE]

I think you just summed up everything I was thinking throughout this entire thread, thank you for your wisdom and clarity.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;40639][QUOTE=charliedharma;39358]

1. I did not say that dvds and books is an optimal souse of learning. My point is that for $2000 (an average for 200hr) one can attend the best workshops and seminars, retreats. That can be more informative and tailored accordingly to partitioner level.

2. I would feel that I rip off my students if I teach yoga after only 200 hour training! That is incredible to take responsibility of teaching after [B]20 hours of anatomy[/B], [B]30 hours of yoga philosophy[/B], and [B]100 left for: asanas, pranayamas, kriyas, chanting, mantra, meditation,[/B] and “OTHER YOGA TECHNIQUES”:))

I do not meant to negate an importance of 200 rys standards, but facts are speaking for themselves…

Lotusgirl, I’m glad to hear that yoga studios hire based on experience…[/QUOTE]

CityMonk,

This is true far too much emphasis is put on certification and being Yoga Alliance registered. Are there no Yogis in the world uncertified that are not experts and great teachers and practitioners? Of course there are many!

Though it is good to have a ‘standard’ of quality at least if someone is 200/500 hours you know they have good knowledge of Yoga - though does not necessitate they are great teachers.

Your example of going to seminars/workshops with people, someone may have done 200+ hours with many different leading teachers in that way but not be fully certified or registered with Yoga Alliance or another similar organisation. In martial arts for example, I know many that have very high standard and great teachers but have no certificates or black belts at all - they studied with seminars, classes, home study, etc. Not forgetting Bruce Lee! - no black belt or grade, no certification, yet nobody would doubt he was an undispituted Master.

I think with Yoga you either can do it or you can’t, if a 500hour registered Instructor (in perfect health) can not do any remotely advanced exercises, you would have to question their skill & knowledge.

Many places such as gyms employing Instructors will do a check on certification , in the U.S. some will look specifically for someone to be Yoga Alliance registered, though again it is not the be all and end all of Yoga having a nice certificate - variations in teacher training courses and standard is huge!, some you basically turn up and get your certificate, others will really test you and not certify you unless you are good enough.

[QUOTE=CityMonk;53081]I see what you are saying… but lets assume that you are doing gardening for the entire life every day , since you are 10yo. Your parents have taught you how to plant and harvest, how to trim the trees and get rig of bugs and desease; you know 80% of the world plants by name, you have planted a beautiful garden in South America and one in the north pool.:slight_smile: And here the fellow comes just brand new from the gardening master training.

Guess who has more to share?[/QUOTE]

Rabbit or Hare what are the odds?
As long as the garden master training was from a reputable organization than
I would hire the garden master trainer more times out of ten.
A lifetime of doing something wrong does not make it right!
Just because their dear old Da taught them to trim trees at the wrong time in the wrong season because it or dumb luck worked good enough for him? I’ve seen this so many times in so many fields.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.