What are your food ethics?

I want to know what everyone’s eating/food shopping habits are. Quote this post and replace my answers with your own :slight_smile:

Do you…

[B]Eat organic?[/B] I buy organic milk, and organic produce when it’s available.

[B]Eat local?[/B] Yes, if it can’t be organic, it needs to be local. I prefer both, if possible.

[B]Eat meat?[/B] Yes, but only free range and local (organic if possible). We don’t have large scale farms around here like in the States or Western Canada, that strain the animals and the environment, so I know when I eat local I’m eating an animal that lived a happy, normal life. I try to be careful about my seafood as well, aiming for local, unfarmed, and not too overfished. Usually I’ll eat meat once or twice a week.

[B]Consume any animal products (milk, gelatin, eggs)?[/B] Yes. My milk is organic and the eggs are always local free range. I don’t know if I’d have the willpower to go vegan! :oops:

[B]Buy from the farmers market, grocery store or health food store?[/B] Farmers market as much as possible, otherwise health food store. I only go to the grocery store for milk, cereal, cheese, or items I’m craving but just can’t get anywhere else (for example I bought some avocadoes today). I have to say I adore the farmers market! I love supporting local farmers and businesses, and after a year of attending, I know all the people at my regular stands. It gives me a real sense of community.

[B]Eat out often (this includes fast food)?[/B] I avoid it, but sometimes you’ve got to get out and have a nice time with friends or family! I don’t eat meat or eggs at restaurants unless I know it’s local.

[B]Eat foods that benefit your body, with the occasional treat?[/B] Yes. Unless you count chocolate as a treat, because my chocolate consumption is much more than occasional!! :smiley:

[B]Eat whatever’s convenient/whatever you feel like?[/B] Only when I’m starved and didn’t plan dinner.

Okay, your turn!

Eat organic? yes. fruits. vegetables. greens. nuts. seeds.

Eat local? I try to, in the winter this is difficult.

Eat meat? only coconut meat :wink:

Consume any animal products (milk, gelatin, eggs)? occasionally raw honey

Buy from the farmers market, grocery store or health food store? Farmer’s market in the spring time/summer. Health food stores that I can find. I’m always willing to look around and find new places.

Eat out often (this includes fast food)? no.

Eat foods that benefit your body, with the occasional treat? I try to eat 100% raw vegan, however sometimes I am lured off that path. Very rare, but it happens. The food I eat is only the food that is natural to eat.

Eat whatever’s convenient/whatever you feel like? convenient as in grabbing for a banana, apple, avocado. Whatever I feel like when I indulge in raw desserts.
]

[QUOTE=Blackkat;52787]Eat organic? yes. fruits. vegetables. greens. nuts. seeds.

Eat local? I try to, in the winter this is difficult.

Eat meat? only coconut meat :wink:

Consume any animal products (milk, gelatin, eggs)? occasionally raw honey

Buy from the farmers market, grocery store or health food store? Farmer’s market in the spring time/summer. Health food stores that I can find. I’m always willing to look around and find new places.

Eat out often (this includes fast food)? no.

Eat foods that benefit your body, with the occasional treat? I try to eat 100% raw vegan, however sometimes I am lured off that path. Very rare, but it happens. The food I eat is only the food that is natural to eat.

Eat whatever’s convenient/whatever you feel like? convenient as in grabbing for a banana, apple, avocado. Whatever I feel like when I indulge in raw desserts.
][/QUOTE]

Why do you eat this way?

[B]Eat organic?[/B] Not usually, although in the summer I do, and wild foods I nibble on are organic.

[B]Eat local?[/B] Not this time of year.

[B]Eat meat?[/B] No

[B]Consume any animal products (milk, gelatin, eggs)?[/B] No, although there is probably sometimes when I order some bread or something that may have something in it without me knowing. I’m basically vegan in diet and generally 20 to 70 raw, with some live, (diet-wise I am spiritually minded).

[B]Buy from the farmers market, grocery store or health food store?[/B] In summer, farmers markets but usually just a nasty supermarket here. Once a month I’ll get to a organic co-op and try to stock up, love their apples.

[B]Eat out often (this includes fast food)?[/B] Sometimes.

[B]Eat foods that benefit your body, with the occasional treat?[/B] A lot of treats. A lot of treats. Heck, I made a fresh vegan ice cream for breakfast before working today.

[B]Eat whatever’s convenient/whatever you feel like?[/B] Yep, but I’ll sprout some mung beans or something once a week or so. Green smoothies about 4 or 5 times a week are easy.

[B]Eat Organic?[/B] I do my best to only buy organic.

[B]Eat Local?[/B] During the late spring through early fall yes.

[B]Eat Meat[/B] Vegetarian who eats fish on occasion. Haven’t eaten red meat for 20 years.

[B]Animal By-products?[/B] Nope. Need to be an avid label reader. I do eat eggs if they are in something. No gelatin though. Love honey!

[B]Farmers market/grocery/health food store?[/B] Mostly health food store, but our grocery does have a good natural food/organic section. Not close to a farmers market, but if I am out that way, I definitely go and stock up.

[B]Eat out?[/B] Not as much anymore, but we do entertain a lot. Totally hooked on Whole Foods Vegan Philly Cheesesteak. Can’t even tell it’s vegan.

[B]Eat food that benefits the body[/B] Working on this.

[B]Eat whatever is convenient?[/B] Guilty more often than I’d like. Nothing better than a big bowl of Life cereal when I come home from teaching.

Lori what is this Vegan philly cheesesteak? can you give recipe please…sounds yummy???

Hello! Happy to see you back here!

Unfortunately, you can only get it at whole foods which is a health food chain here in the states. But, what’s on it:

Ciabatta bread
Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
Vegan philly beef steaks, cut into strips
white onion
red and green pepper
Daiya cheese (vegan cheese)

That’s all! It is soooooooo good. Clarissa and I get it each time we go to Whole Foods. Unknown calorie content which I think it’s better I don’t know!

[B]Eat Organic?[/B] Alas, not all the time. Organic foods are rather expensive >.>

[B]Eat Local?[/B] Yup. I love my local shops. No Starbucks, no Pizza Hut and such.

[B]Eat Meat[/B]? I cut eating red meat 5-6 months ago, tho’ I was never a fan of it i think. Eating chicken once or twice a month, and fish fingers twice a week.

[B]Animal products? [/B] Milk and eggs are good. Cutting eating cheese, cos it makes me put on weight.

[B]Farmers market/grocery/health food store?[/B] I fail in that department. I often shop from nationwide retailer stores, which offers some healthy stuff.

[B]Eat out?[/B] Every now and again. Sticking with side salad and cheesy garlic ciabatta bread :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]Eat food that benefits the body?[/B] Quite often. Dried nuts and fruits, baby leafs, cucumber, and yogurt - these are essential for me to feel good all day long.

[B]Eat whatever is convenient?[/B] Well, kinda. Sometimes I dont eat apple but eat cereal, though I know that I am supposed to eat apple. Gotta work on this perhaps…

[QUOTE=lotusgirl;53258]Hello! Happy to see you back here!

Unfortunately, you can only get it at whole foods which is a health food chain here in the states. But, what’s on it:

Ciabatta bread
Vegenaise (vegan mayo)
Vegan philly beef steaks, cut into strips
white onion
red and green pepper
Daiya cheese (vegan cheese)

That’s all! It is soooooooo good. Clarissa and I get it each time we go to Whole Foods. Unknown calorie content which I think it’s better I don’t know![/QUOTE]

Blast…,.perhaps there is an English version…and thank you, I have served my time in the sin bin and was allowed in early for good behaviour xx

[B]Eat organic?[/B] When I can afford it, and when available, I definitely prefer organic.

[B]Eat local?[/B] I have no idea where my food comes from. There’s a growers market once a month in my town. It’s fantastic!

[B]Eat meat?[/B] Mainly fish, turkey, and chicken. I occasionally eat read meat. I base my diet on natural food. We have evolved to eat meat, and obviously if you don’t eat meat. you usually need to start supplementing with vitamin B12 etc.

[B]Consume any animal products (milk, gelatin, eggs)?[/B] Meat and eggs. I try to avoid dairy, but sometimes I fall victim to it’s irresistibility.

[B]Buy from the farmers market, grocery store or health food store?[/B] Grocery store, or green grocers. Occasionally health food store. Rarely growers market, due to availability.

[B]Eat out often (this includes fast food)?[/B] I’m only human :slight_smile:

[B]Eat foods that benefit your body, with the occasional treat?[/B] The primary reason for eating is for health and performance. Of course, I like to eat for pleasure now and then.

[B]Eat whatever’s convenient/whatever you feel like?[/B] If I ate whatever I felt like, I’d be very very out of shape!! I have also developed a routine to prepare my own food. Using convenience as an excuse to eat rubbish is dam weak in my opinion.

[quote=equiyogini;52722]i want to know what everyone’s eating/food shopping habits are. Quote this post and replace my answers with your own :slight_smile:

do you…

eat organic? i buy organic milk, and organic produce when it’s available.

eat local? yes, if it can’t be organic, it needs to be local. I prefer both, if possible.

eat meat? yes, but only free range and local (organic if possible). We don’t have large scale farms around here like in the states or western canada, that strain the animals and the environment, so i know when i eat local i’m eating an animal that lived a happy, normal life. I try to be careful about my seafood as well, aiming for local, unfarmed, and not too overfished. Usually i’ll eat meat once or twice a week.

consume any animal products (milk, gelatin, eggs)? yes. My milk is organic and the eggs are always local free range. I don’t know if i’d have the willpower to go vegan! :oops:

buy from the farmers market, grocery store or health food store? farmers market as much as possible, otherwise health food store. I only go to the grocery store for milk, cereal, cheese, or items i’m craving but just can’t get anywhere else (for example i bought some avocadoes today). I have to say i adore the farmers market! I love supporting local farmers and businesses, and after a year of attending, i know all the people at my regular stands. It gives me a real sense of community.

eat out often (this includes fast food)? i avoid it, but sometimes you’ve got to get out and have a nice time with friends or family! I don’t eat meat or eggs at restaurants unless i know it’s local.

eat foods that benefit your body, with the occasional treat? yes. Unless you count chocolate as a treat, because my chocolate consumption is much more than occasional!! :d

eat whatever’s convenient/whatever you feel like? only when i’m starved and didn’t plan dinner.

Okay, your turn![/quote]

my food ethics:

do not buy anything that was packaged! or something that has more then one ingredient + salt

[QUOTE=High Wolf;53274]

[B]Eat Meat[/B]? I cut eating red meat 5-6 months ago, tho’ I was never a fan of it i think. Eating chicken once or twice a month, and fish fingers twice a week.
[/QUOTE]

Careful about fish fingers! The fish they use for fish sticks, etc was fished using drag nets, which destroy coral reefs. I grew up in Nova Scotia, which is home to abundant (albeit cold) coral reefs that are constantly being destryoed by drag nets. I haven’t had fish sticks, or any frozen breaded fish since I learned about it at the age of 14. Come to think of it, that was my first step towards eco-eating!

Actually I am just trying to practice mindful eating and looking into Oryoki

[QUOTE=equiyogini;53547]Careful about fish fingers! The fish they use for fish sticks, etc was fished using drag nets, which destroy coral reefs. I grew up in Nova Scotia, which is home to abundant (albeit cold) coral reefs that are constantly being destryoed by drag nets. I haven’t had fish sticks, or any frozen breaded fish since I learned about it at the age of 14. Come to think of it, that was my first step towards eco-eating![/QUOTE]

Thx for this more ecologically-aware comment. Perhaps I am more ignorant than many when it comes to food ethics…

[QUOTE=High Wolf;53274][B]Eat Organic?[/B] Alas, not all the time. Organic foods are rather expensive >.>

[B]Eat Local?[/B] Yup. I love my local shops. No Starbucks, no Pizza Hut and such.

[B]Animal products? [/B] Milk and eggs are good. Cutting eating cheese, cos it makes me put on weight.

[B]Farmers market/grocery/health food store?[/B] I fail in that department. I often shop from nationwide retailer stores, which offers some healthy stuff.

[B]Eat out?[/B] Every now and again. Sticking with side salad and cheesy garlic ciabatta bread :stuck_out_tongue:

[B]Eat food that benefits the body?[/B] Quite often.
Dried nuts and fruits, baby leafs, cucumber, and yogurt - these are essential for me to feel good all day long.

[B]Eat whatever is convenient?[/B] Well, kinda. Sometimes I dont eat apple but eat cereal, though I know that I am supposed to eat apple. Gotta work on this perhaps…[/QUOTE]

Healthy food, beneficial to body

I find eating red meat can make me more aggressive i have observed (as well as a little horny at times btw).Soo i guess it must have an affect on the mind.(Protein in the form of red-meat is believe less easily digested than other food-stuffs because perhaps some is superfluous or extraneous to needs)

There is a yogic theory i think that may go like so; that one may absorb the suffering that animal may have had to endure at the time of slaughter. There is also that theory possibly also ayuurvedic or yogic that food that is prepared by loving hands ACTUALLY tastes better.

I have come to this idea that foods that are good for yoga practice are nutrient rich and/or high in prana. If they’re high in prana or stored energy then that can be useful. It is one way to boost your bio-field particularly fresh food.

http://body.vitalcoaching.com/2011/02/free-your-biofield-12-min-video.html

The only food ethic I observe is to eat vegetarian. I am not fussy about anything else, eating everything from veggie burgers and chips, take-away pizzas, to pasta and loads of cheese. I also recently started eating eggs again, but this may have been a contributing factor to my current health crisis.

In the future I will move to a pure Yogic diet.

[QUOTE=core789;53918]I find eating red meat can make me more aggressive i have observed (as well as a little horny at times btw)[/QUOTE]

Yes yes!! That’s called testosterone. It can make you more aggressive and more horny as you described! It’s good. If you have low testosterone not only may you have more trouble sleeping, you’ll loose your sex drive, assertiveness, confidence, and you’ll end up enjoying going shopping for shoes, and catching up on the latest goss with the women at work… that’s what I keep rattling on about. There is reason men have testosterone. There is a reason why men are assertive, confident and horny… and if you loose these qualities. you may start becoming a hybrid sex lol :slight_smile:

I find pretty much all meat to be disgusting.

I eat . . .
Eggs and Dairy. Cheese. Butter. Ghee. etc . . .

LOTS of Veg.

Moderate amount fruit. Although I have been eating the snap outta some non sulfured organic black misison figs!
(yes in the middle of this post I just went and ate some. God they are good.)

Very little to no - Grains. at the moment.

Spices: I’m a curry fool. Turmuric. Corriander. Cumin. Cinnamon. Carraway. Mustard powder and seeds. and so on… I love curry. The best curry. I wonder why?

Not everything has to be organic. But if it’s certain things, like berries, or celerly, or lettuce and it’s not organic - I WILL NOT TOUCH IT.

I don’t need to drink organic Orange juice - but it does have to be ‘non-concentrated.’

No Table sugar or Artifical Sweetener garbage. Or high fructose corn syrup junk.

I will eat honey. I prefer it raw.

I like peanut butter but will only eat organic that has had nothing else added but salt.

I like nuts but will only eat organic and raw.

Pretty much zero processed / manufactured garbage.

I can’t rememeber the last time I ate fast food - because it’s pretty much garbage too. ( here it comes . . . over two years ago I think)

Sometimes though I will indulge in absolute garbage. and I’ll gorge on it.

Burger. fries. Cola. Ice Cream. Just to remind myself . . .
But this is a rarity.

Sometimes I do it to work through someones karma . . . .too.

Put myself intheir shoes so to speak.

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;54074]Yes yes!! That’s called testosterone. It can make you more aggressive and more horny as you described! It’s good. If you have low testosterone not only may you have more trouble sleeping, you’ll loose your sex drive, assertiveness, confidence, and you’ll end up enjoying going shopping for shoes, and catching up on the latest goss with the women at work… that’s what I keep rattling on about. There is reason men have testosterone. There is a reason why men are assertive, confident and horny… and if you loose these qualities. you may start becoming a hybrid sex lol :)[/QUOTE]

dude a cul

Testosterone is secreted pretty much by the ‘gonads’

Eating meat has nothing to do with it.

:roll:

Yes I know I’m filling in the blanks.