Why are Yoga & Hinduism Classes Taught by non-Hindus (mlecchas)?

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;61510]Thanks for reminding me Neitzsche. I had almost completely forgotten Flexpenguin had said those things.

Q, Flexpenguin, Yulaw and Indra Deva are basically peas of the same pod. The usual suspects who say very offensive and racist things. Then pretend they are innocent and it is us evil Hindus who are provoking them.

This really is a clash of civilisation. This is nothing short from an all out verbal war. The fact is there is a section of the Western population today who are extremely racist and Q et al are a manifestation of this. Do you remember the recent race scandal in the UK with Shilpa Shetty and Jade Goody? Hinduphobia is the new anti semiticism.[/QUOTE]

You sure as hell can bet that I remember that.

Every day, I would observe how pissed off my parents were from watching that show (I never liked the show so I refused to watch it with them).

Here were the racist comments:

“I’ve seen how she goes in and out of people’s arseholes”

“makes my skin crawl” (in reference to Shetty)

“Shilpa Fuckawalla” and “Shilpa Poppadom”.

“She is Indian, thinking of an Indian name and only thing I could think of was Indian food. Wasn’t racial at all. It was not to offend any Indian out there.” (What the fuck?).

Jackiey Budden, repeatedly referred to Shetty as ‘the Indian.’

Goody’s boyfriend Jack Tweed called Shetty an expletive, with the bleeped-out expletive variously reported as “cunt”[9] and “Paki”[10] who should remove objects from the toilet with her teeth.

On one occasion, the two women mocked Shetty’s accent,[8] and on another occasion Lloyd referred to Shetty as a “dog”.[11] After believing Shilpa had undercooked a chicken, O’Meara generalised that all Indians were thin because they were “sick all the time” as a result of undercooking their food.[8]

Lloyd commented on Shetty applying facial hair bleaching cream, saying, “she’s trying to make her face look white” while O’Meara mocked Shetty’s accent, saying, “Ooh I got a hairy face.”

In another verbal attack, Lloyd said “do you get stubble?”.[12] Jade, Danielle and Jo repeatedly stated, to each other and the other housemates, that they felt Shilpa was a ‘fake’ and a ‘loser’.[13]

After an argument between Shetty and Goody, witnessed by a giggling O’Meara and Lloyd, Lloyd said she thought Shetty should “fuck off home”. After a similar comment by Goody, Lloyd laughed and approved saying, “That was fucking fantastic, I loved it” before repeating “I think she should fuck off home.”

She also said Shilpa “can’t even speak English properly anyway”. She also mentioned that she didn’t like Shetty touching her food because “you don’t know where her hands have been”.

Later Lloyd said to Shetty, “I feel really bad, I feel disgusted with myself the way I’ve treated you and the way I’ve acted, because I’m not like that, Shilpa, really, . . . And you can even cook me curry and you can pick the onions out with your fingers”.

After Goody apologised to Shetty for her behaviour, Tweed stated that he was very disappointed with Goody for apologising, and called Shetty a “dick” after previously describing her as a “wanker”.

I love how she got cervical cancer shortly after this incident and died. Good riddance.

As they say, Karma’s/payback’s a bitch.

Considering instances like this, I find it unbelievable our gurus even attempted to civilize this part of the world.

Furthermore, if FP was truly the wise and spiritual guy he proclaims himself to be, he would at least have had the courtesy of apologizing and explaining himself to us. He has not done so, not even after several months.

In that regard, he is worse than Jane Goody and lacks absolutely any morality, ethics, or humanity, just like the racist scum our forefathers had the “foresight” to impart our traditions to.

Pray tell what ailment shall befall him?

Great posts TTA, specially #25.

I think the reason westerners also “steal” Yoga, besides the complete lack of a sense of tradition, is because western philosophical and religious lines are extremely poor in these regards. The east is a completely rich terrain of philosophies and religious systems.

It seems people get interested in some kind of a purely aesthetical revolution in their lifes (instead of a true ethical one): Practicing yoga (solely physical) as a way to become more spiritual, instead of just accepting the practice as a whole.

I remember my siksha guru narrating when he was at a temple in India and a few young devotees dressing in cool hip clothes were in the temple and he was a little let down by their westernization, however, when the altar curtains opened he realized that inside their natural inclination to spirituality was intact and higher than the western one.

India has 31% of its population vegetarian. Its culture is almost entirely focused on spirituality. So it’s safe to conclude that India is at the seat of authority when it comes to Yoga and the whole spectrum of spiritual life and philosophy.

So many scientific minds here… I’m feeling extremely irrational amidst you guys. :slight_smile:

PS: Nietzsche, you’re euphoric dude, take a break from forums, go read some physics books. :lol:

And I got the joke of your sig even though I cheated in every math and physics exam in the last three years of high school! But it was just last week that I completely forgot how to properly make a rule of three, I’m such a math fail! :lol:

[QUOTE=Pietro Impagliazzo;61617]Great posts TTA, specially #25.

I think the reason westerners also “steal” Yoga, besides the complete lack of a sense of tradition, is because western philosophical and religious lines are extremely poor in these regards. The east is a completely rich terrain of philosophies and religious systems.

It seems people get interested in some kind of a purely aesthetical revolution in their lifes (instead of a true ethical one): Practicing yoga (solely physical) as a way to become more spiritual, instead of just accepting the practice as a whole.

I remember my siksha guru narrating when he was at a temple in India and a few young devotees dressing in cool hip clothes were in the temple and he was a little let down by their westernization, however, when the altar curtains opened he realized that inside their natural inclination to spirituality was intact and higher than the western one.

India has 31% of its population vegetarian. Its culture is almost entirely focused on spirituality. So it’s safe to conclude that India is at the seat of authority when it comes to Yoga and the whole spectrum of spiritual life and philosophy.

So many scientific minds here… I’m feeling extremely irrational amidst you guys. :slight_smile:

PS: Nietzsche, you’re euphoric dude, take a break from forums, go read some physics books. :lol:

And I got the joke of your sig even though I cheated in every math and physics exam in the last three years of high school! But it was just last week that I completely forgot how to properly make a rule of three, I’m such a math fail! :lol:[/QUOTE]

LOL! Yeah, I love this sig.

I have a bunch of Physics books I’ve stacked up over the months. Summer’s almost around the corner, so that will give me some time to read them all.

Surya,

Your quoting exceptions and as I stated earlier, they do NOT form the rule. Furthermore, these “Hindus” are Hindu in name. They will never be allowed to be priests of any real Hindu temple.

Please show me ONE self-realized person who is not Indian-Hindu with the exception of Lao Tze over the past 3000 years. You think it’s a coincidence that all the great rishis and mahants of Sanatana Dharma were from India? Many of them came from “lower” castes but they were nonetheless from Bharata.

There can be Hindus from outside who are free to learn about Hinduism. None has the adhIkArA to teach or engage in scriptural exegesis. That would be transgressing their svAdharmA and thus causing conflict with the higher order of things.

These “Hindus”, as you call them, what is their svAdharmA? What is their varnA? What gOtrA are they? Thor? Or was it Valhalla?

It is highly dubious to call these people “Hindu”. Erwin Schrodinger read the Upanishads, as did Heisenberg et al, and came to the conclusion that Vedanta very closely parallels QM and modern cosmology. Their acknowledgement of the parallels does in no way make them “Hindu”. Schopenhauer was a philosopher that saw the lofty principles of Vedanta and the garbage that are the Abrahamic religions and called them as they are. How does that make him “Hindu”? Same goes for the other examples you’ve quoted.

People being positive about Hinduism does not make them “Hindu” just as some westerner who has read the Gita and some (mis)translations of the Vedas does not make him/her an “expert” on VaidIka Dharma or even the Vedas. I’ve heard some Indians say, after seeing some westerners at ASrams in India, that they are “saint-like”. LOL… These people will think that some guy wearing a saffron-robe is a “swami” and is a Brahmin just because he has traveled to India.

Well, technically correct but in reality, no. There are very few exceptions like the Saiva Siddhanta swami in Hawaii who has dedicated his entire life to Hindu Dharma. They are truly Hindu and more so than the average Indian Hindu. However, don’t confuse someone like that with the average schmuck who reads Amar Chitra Katha and teaches a class on Hinduism at “Harvard”.

That is a very myopic picture of what a Hindu is. There is so much more to being a Hindu than what you have described here. Indian culture is Hinduism in practice. There are some aspects that are of course associated with specific places and time periods but the overwhelming evidence of Indian culture that has sustained in the subcontinent for the past several thousand years is Hindu Dharma in action. There can be many Hindus who know next to nothing about the Vedas but LIVE its principles. That is the fundamental difference.

Never said that and I agree with you that Hinduism is indeed universal. However, what Hinduism is, its history, its practices, its traditions can ONLY be defined by Bharata Dharma. Otherwise, we can have Italians converting to Hinduism and doing pUjas with pasta and SrArdham with lasagna. Tomato sauce anyone? “SVAHA” :eek:

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;61422]Hinduism is santana dharma it is universal. I have no doubt in my mind that civilisations on other planets are also practicing it. This is because Hinduism is nothing more than spirituality raised to the level of a science. This is in short what Vedic dharma is all about:

1. Know the fundamental and absolute reality that is underlying all by delving into your being
  2. Gain control of your senses and mind and enlighten your intellect
  3. Enoble yourself and enoble others by serving the world selflessly and doing good deeds - think nobe thoughts, speak noble things and do noble things
  4. Live in harmony with dharma
    [/quote]

Again, I agree with your assessment there but the embodiment of those principles are primarily found in Indians and Indian Hindus. That is why Indian Christians and Indian Muslims are the best Christians and Muslims in the world; they are heavily influenced, albeit subliminally, by Hindu culture. Some extremists are of course there, but they are not in the majority.

I strongly feel, and am convinced by experience and interaction with various cultures and peoples, that India is a place that is conducive to spiritual growth. To be born there is a great boon and opportunity for the jIvA to progress to its goal (home - aham ;)). People from other parts of the world simply are not spiritually developed enough to embrace Hindu Dharma. That is why the desert cults are flourishing there. If not those, then crap like communism and rampant materialism.

There are always exceptions and to those people who are truly sincere in their pursuit of sat (truth), they eventually find their way to Bharata (India) and we should welcome them with open arms. Yet, many of these disillusioned people are quacks and finicky and come to gouge themselves spiritually and once their appetite is filled, they throw the host away and go on to feed on others and other cultures. Those kind of people, we must reject. The hard part is distinguishing the two!

Well, that is somewhat debatable in the sense that being born in a country that is steeped in Hindu Dharma will have an influence on the individual. Nobody is impervious to their surroundings and Indian non-Hindus are no exception. I personally believe lineage is very important in Hinduism but have been excoriated for that many times online and offline (by my parents even!). I am also sick and tired of the hacks and so I guess I’m overly cautious of foreigners who say, “I love the dhaaarmaaa and the caaarmaaa!” Vasanas I guess! lol…

You are conflating cultural traits with intellectual capacity of the individual. Indians, that is Hindus, have never been the cause of any genocide. That is an irrefutable fact. The west cannot hold a candle-light to India’s civilization in the real sense of the word. Being civilized alludes to selflessness and self-abnegation. The western categorical framework is dependent upon the individual (ego-mind/body-mind complex); which is ultimately a falsity or impermanent state of experience according to Hindu Dharma. The two cannot be reconciled.

Those three examples (gnosticism, sufism, and wicca) you gave are all heavily influenced by Eastern thought. It was not developed within the framework of the abrahamic cults; that is why they are still considered “fringe” by their ‘parent’ faiths.

Yes, to the Hindus in Hawaii and the likes of Frawley and Knapp, they are doing great work. They are also exceptions as I said.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;61422]Again Hinduism has nothing to do with Indian nationality. Yes, India and Hinduism are inseparable and this is why all Hindu regard India as the spiritual motherland. I am going to India myself to study Yoga authentically under the gurus. I am no less a Hindu than a Hindu born in India, even if I was born Sikh and in the UK. In fact in the UK people who were born Hindu come to me to learn about Hinduism.[/QUOTE]

It is great that you have done so much research of Hindu Dharma and converted to it from Sikhism but you have to realize that when it comes to adhIkArA, you do not have it. You cannot become a priest or a ShankarAcharyA at any Mutt. That is because you do not have the right lineage. Thus, there are many Hindus who are “more” Hindu than you. As a practicing Hindu, you might say, “I don’t care about that” and that is fine. However, you cannot make that claim as universal and applicable to everyone.

In conclusion, I agree that anyone can become Hindu in mindset to a certain degree. Those who are born in India and are Hindus are much more spiritually developed than others. Birth is not accidental; you should know that if you understand Karma.

And to add, after reading your posts, you are doing a great thing for Hindus and Hindu Dharma. You are most definitely Hindu but I am stating what I have learnt after reading about various principles in Hindu Dharma.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;61502]
What I find distasteful, and what seems to be the kernel of contention, is the outrage and bitter feelings directed at the west for adopting what we find a beautiful part of Indian culture. For someone who professes to know and practice yoga to turn around and spit and hiss in the face of another for saying 'yes, this is a wonderful thing. May I partake?" seems counter to everything yogic, don’t you think?[/QUOTE]

Westerners are experts at coming up with euphemisms. Invaders who murdered, raped, and committed genocide against Native Americans are called “settlers”. Those who steal, denigrate, and spit on spiritual treasure that is Hinduism are called “partakers” is it?

That is what we are against. If you care to be a real STUDENT/DISCIPLE, respectful, reverential, and cultured towards that which you are partaking from, then you are welcome. Otherwise, GTFO.

[QUOTE=Nietzsche;61417]OMG HAKZORZ, I LOVE RUSSEL PETERS!

Have you seen the one about him going into a Chinese-run mall and trying to buy a bag?

AND DUUUUDE!!! YOU’RE A PHYSICS MAJOR!?!?!?!?!?

Can you PLEASE teach me [B]Magnetic Flux[/B]? I didn’t understand it when I was studying that topic by myself…[/QUOTE]

LOL… Nietzsche, I finished my degree 6 years ago. All I remember is that flux is the movement from one medium/area/surface to another. My favorite upper div physics classes were of course QM, Analytical Mechanics, and Mathematical Physics… I HATED E&M… Jackson… oh Iswara… don’t remind me…

I’m a businessman now. much easier to do arithmetic than Dirac notation and relativistic QM. hhahahahhahha

[QUOTE=TatTvamAsi;61698]Surya,

Your quoting exceptions and as I stated earlier, they do NOT form the rule. Furthermore, these “Hindus” are Hindu in name. They will never be allowed to be priests of any real Hindu temple.

Yes, they certainly do not form the majority, but what these exceptions do show is that it is possible to be Hindu and not be Indian. Moreover my friend, being a Hindu priest is an exception and not the rule.

Please show me ONE self-realized person who is not Indian-Hindu with the exception of Lao Tze over the past 3000 years. You think it’s a coincidence that all the great rishis and mahants of Sanatana Dharma were from India? Many of them came from “lower” castes but they were nonetheless from Bharata.

Who is self realised and who is not is based on what people say. Only the one who can experience the atman knows the atman. Others, can at best guess based on the behaviour of a person and how that person makes them feel. There are plenty of people we say are realised, but what we really mean is that they are more developed than we are. When we are speaking of people in history who we have not met, we must simply take testimony for granted. If we go by testimony if you look into the archives of non-Indian cultures you will see their own equivalent list of great spiritual people like saints, such as St Fracis of Assisi. In any case I will grant your point that non-Indian cultures have little to show for themselves in terms of producing great spiritual personalities. This is why India is the spiritual capital of the world and the spiritual teacher of the world.

There can be Hindus from outside who are free to learn about Hinduism. None has the adhIkArA to teach or engage in scriptural exegesis. That would be transgressing their svAdharmA and thus causing conflict with the higher order of things.

These “Hindus”, as you call them, what is their svAdharmA? What is their varnA? What gOtrA are they? Thor? Or was it Valhalla?

You are looking at a very limited sociological definition of Hinduism based on Indian social context, which I will add is an evolving context. All of these social categories and classes you mention are changable. One of shudra varna can move up to brahmana varna and vis versa. The varna system of Hindu dharma has never been a fixed and rigid system, but fluidic and changing.

In the Gita Krishna talks about svadharma and manava dharma. Svadharma is important, but it is changing and defined by your social context. Arjuna was kshatriya and therefore he had a duty to uphold kshatriya dharma. But this does not mean that Arjuna could not have later adopted brahmana dharma. In the Mahabharata, guru Dronacharya and Kripacharya who are brahmanas adopt kshatriya dharma due to the needs of the hour.

Manava dharma is higher than svadharma because while svadharma will change, manava dharma will not change. If I asked you who are you? You may first give your name, then your profession, then your gender, then your age, then your cast creed or sect, than your nationality. If we reduce you to your bare nature you are a human being(manava) a conscious self-aware entity. This is as true for you as an Indian Hindu, as it is for an American Christian or an Arabic Muslim.

Humans have been born in different places throughout this universe. On planet Zog, the Zogians have an eternal religion called Zogo, they practice meditation, they have linages of spiritual teachers and their primary focus is to reach self-realization. They are not Indian, they have not even read the Indian Vedas and have no connection to Indian lineages - and yet they are following the same manava dharma that the Gita speaks of. They are Hindu as you and me without even being born on this planet.

On this planet humans have been born in various parts of the world, with different societies and cultures - and yet they are all human and all seeking the same goal of happiness and self fulfillment. When I fold my hands to greet another human being by saying “Namaste” I am recognizing the unity of our dharma. We may all wear different bodies, but the soul within us is the same. The divinity within you also exists within me and within everybody else. This divinity is what unites us all. When I see another human being I try to see that divinity. I have seen that same divinity shine in Indian people, Black people, Chinese people, White people.

It is highly dubious to call these people “Hindu”. Erwin Schrodinger read the Upanishads, as did Heisenberg et al, and came to the conclusion that Vedanta very closely parallels QM and modern cosmology. Their acknowledgement of the parallels does in no way make them “Hindu”. Schopenhauer was a philosopher that saw the lofty principles of Vedanta and the garbage that are the Abrahamic religions and called them as they are. How does that make him “Hindu”? Same goes for the other examples you’ve quoted.

People being positive about Hinduism does not make them “Hindu” just as some westerner who has read the Gita and some (mis)translations of the Vedas does not make him/her an “expert” on VaidIka Dharma or even the Vedas. I’ve heard some Indians say, after seeing some westerners at ASrams in India, that they are “saint-like”. LOL… These people will think that some guy wearing a saffron-robe is a “swami” and is a Brahmin just because he has traveled to India.

Simply put, being Hindu is a state of development, rather than a title one inherits. The Hindu texts themselves say that Hindu is synonymous with one who is virtuous/aryan. One who is on this path to cultivate virtue within them is a Hindu. In fact there are very few real Hindus amongst the 1 billion Hindus today. The first step to becoming Hindu is imbibing the teachings of Vedic dharma, the second step is to practice the teachings of Vedic dharma, the third step is to realise the teachings of Vedic dharma.

Well, technically correct but in reality, no. There are very few exceptions like the Saiva Siddhanta swami in Hawaii who has dedicated his entire life to Hindu Dharma. They are truly Hindu and more so than the average Indian Hindu. However, don’t confuse someone like that with the average schmuck who reads Amar Chitra Katha and teaches a class on Hinduism at “Harvard”.

Well, does this not prove that one can be Hindu without being Indian. It maybe an exception and not the rule, but even one exception can show the rule is not absolute.

That is a very myopic picture of what a Hindu is. There is so much more to being a Hindu than what you have described here. Indian culture is Hinduism in practice. There are some aspects that are of course associated with specific places and time periods but the overwhelming evidence of Indian culture that has sustained in the subcontinent for the past several thousand years is Hindu Dharma in action. There can be many Hindus who know next to nothing about the Vedas but LIVE its principles. That is the fundamental difference.

Vedic dharma has remained in India for the past thousands of years because then we were not living in a time of globalization. Today we are, and therefore Vedic dharma is spreading beyond the borders of India to as far as Hawai(your own example) So while I accept how important India is to the history of Vedic dharma on this planet, it does not define it. Countries like India will come and go, nay planets will come and go - but Vedic dharma will remain because it is santana. It is important to acknowledge how important Bharata and Bharata sanskriti is because it is the homeland of Vedic dharma on this planet, but it is not absolute.

Never said that and I agree with you that Hinduism is indeed universal. However, what Hinduism is, its history, its practices, its traditions can ONLY be defined by Bharata Dharma. Otherwise, we can have Italians converting to Hinduism and doing pUjas with pasta and SrArdham with lasagna. Tomato sauce anyone? “SVAHA” :eek:

But one can do puja to any of the 330 million devas/devis. I can do puja to fire and so can an Italian. In fact fire worship is common to many cultures. In the Yagya one gives the offering of food such as rice, but does that mean that one who has no rice cannot do a yagya? No, they could use other food stuff.

You are looking too much at the particular ways of a culture rather than the universals. A ritual can be amended in anyway to suit a social context. Today in the age of computers Hindus even do virtual puja. Is it less effective? Perhaps, but the point is that the devotion should be there. The rest is superfluous.

Again, I agree with your assessment there but the embodiment of those principles are primarily found in Indians and Indian Hindus. That is why Indian Christians and Indian Muslims are the best Christians and Muslims in the world; they are heavily influenced, albeit subliminally, by Hindu culture. Some extremists are of course there, but they are not in the majority.

I disagree to be honest, I do not find these qualities in Indians at large. In Indians of today(80% of which are Hindu) I find greed, lust, anger, ignorance, sloth - vice. I did not meet the Indians you are talking about when I went to India many times. I met some of the worst people in the world: uncivilised, rude, spiteful, lazy, sleazy. I lived in India for 6 months and I saw a lot of corrupt Indians. Therefore, clearly being born Indian does not automatically mean that one is virtuous.

I strongly feel, and am convinced by experience and interaction with various cultures and peoples, that India is a place that is conducive to spiritual growth. To be born there is a great boon and opportunity for the jIvA to progress to its goal (home - aham ;)). People from other parts of the world simply are not spiritually developed enough to embrace Hindu Dharma. That is why the desert cults are flourishing there. If not those, then crap like communism and rampant materialism.

I agree that India is the most spiritual place on the planet and that is why I am going there. However, this is changing now as Indian gurus set up ashrams all around the world. Spiritual communities are appearing all over the planet. All I ask for in my next life is to be born in a spiritually developed community, whether that be India or Japan.

There are always exceptions and to those people who are truly sincere in their pursuit of sat (truth), they eventually find their way to Bharata (India) and we should welcome them with open arms. Yet, many of these disillusioned people are quacks and finicky and come to gouge themselves spiritually and once their appetite is filled, they throw the host away and go on to feed on others and other cultures. Those kind of people, we must reject. The hard part is distinguishing the two!

Yes, the study of all spirituality brings one to India. There are many sincere Western seekers who have gone to India, then returned home and spread Indian spirituality in their country. Yes, there are also many who have just used it for their own self-gain and have not credited the source. But this is no different to how there are some gurus who spread Vedic dharma and some who spread only their own fame. Good and bad is to be expected in everything.

Well, that is somewhat debatable in the sense that being born in a country that is steeped in Hindu Dharma will have an influence on the individual. Nobody is impervious to their surroundings and Indian non-Hindus are no exception. I personally believe lineage is very important in Hinduism but have been excoriated for that many times online and offline (by my parents even!). I am also sick and tired of the hacks and so I guess I’m overly cautious of foreigners who say, “I love the dhaaarmaaa and the caaarmaaa!” Vasanas I guess! lol…

Again, if we look at the state of Indians today in terms of their character I would strongly doubt this. We cannot become complacent and think that those being born in India are naturally Hindu or more Hindu. We must do our part to spread Vedic dharma everywhere. If Indian Hindus want to play a more important role in this they need to take part in it, and not just sit there smugly thinking they don’t have to do anything because they’re already Hindu, otherwise they will reach a point where the Westerner will be teaching the Hindus Vedic dharma. In fact that is already happening.

I am doing my part as an Indian Hindu(ethnically I am Indian, though born in the UK) to master my own tradition so I can teach it to others. I have put in the time, energy and commitment into studying it and practicing it. If all Indian Hindus did what I am doing, then India will forever remain the teacher of Vedic dharma. Otherwise, in the future Vedic dharma will be taught by America and not India.

You are conflating cultural traits with intellectual capacity of the individual. Indians, that is Hindus, have never been the cause of any genocide. That is an irrefutable fact. The west cannot hold a candle-light to India’s civilization in the real sense of the word. Being civilized alludes to selflessness and self-abnegation. The western categorical framework is dependent upon the individual (ego-mind/body-mind complex); which is ultimately a falsity or impermanent state of experience according to Hindu Dharma. The two cannot be reconciled.

It is definitely true India has never commited any genocides any never invaded another country in 10,000 years of its history. However, India did obviously have wars between kingdoms and these wars were ongoing as empires fell and rose in India constantly. A big shame is how India could not maintain unity for an extended period of time - everytime somebody succeeded in uniting India, it fell apart a few generations later. There was an obvious failing of India in this regard. In totality Indian culture is obviously more civilised than the West, but it by no means perfect.

Those three examples (gnosticism, sufism, and wicca) you gave are all heavily influenced by Eastern thought. It was not developed within the framework of the abrahamic cults; that is why they are still considered “fringe” by their ‘parent’ faiths.

Yes, I know they are not purely indigenous developments, but my point was that the West did have spiritual traditions, but they did not develop to the level of a science. We could say that India had fringes of materialism, but for some reason India did not develop material sciences to the level the West did. This goes without saying really.

Yes, to the Hindus in Hawaii and the likes of Frawley and Knapp, they are doing great work. They are also exceptions as I said.

Hence, why I am saying when you have so many exceptions it proves that the rule is not absolute. My point is simply non-Indians can be Hindu just as Indians cannot be Hindu.

It is great that you have done so much research of Hindu Dharma and converted to it from Sikhism but you have to realize that when it comes to adhIkArA, you do not have it. You cannot become a priest or a ShankarAcharyA at any Mutt. That is because you do not have the right lineage. Thus, there are many Hindus who are “more” Hindu than you. As a practicing Hindu, you might say, “I don’t care about that” and that is fine. However, you cannot make that claim as universal and applicable to everyone.

I do not want to be a priest or a shankarcharya, and obviously out of 1 billion Hindus the number that are priests and sankarcharyas is negligible. What I can become though is a guru. In the future the requirements for becoming priests and sankarcharyas will change and non-Indians and non-Hindu borns will be allowed to take such posts. This more of a matter of social customs than sanatana dharma. Anybody who knows the self is by default a brahmarishi, irrespective of their caste, creed, sect, gender, religion.

In conclusion, I agree that anyone can become Hindu in mindset to a certain degree. Those who are born in India and are Hindus are much more spiritually developed than others. Birth is not accidental; you should know that if you understand Karma.

And to add, after reading your posts, you are doing a great thing for Hindus and Hindu Dharma. You are most definitely Hindu but I am stating what I have learnt after reading about various principles in Hindu Dharma.

Thank you. I am not sure I accept being born in contemporary India means you are more spiritually developed. There are murderers, rapists, corrupt politicians who are born in India - does that mean they are more spiritually developed? Rather it is not being born in India which makes one fortunate, but being born in a spiritual household and family. However, if you are not fortunate enough to be born in a spiritual household, nothing is lost. You can change your karma at any point in your life. The atman knows no country.

[QUOTE=TatTvamAsi;61699]That is what we are against. If you care to be a real STUDENT/DISCIPLE, respectful, reverential, and cultured towards that which you are partaking from, then you are welcome. Otherwise, GTFO.[/QUOTE]

Well said. :wink:

[QUOTE=TatTvamAsi;61698]

Please show me ONE self-realized person who is not Indian-Hindu with the exception of Lao Tze over the past 3000 years.[/QUOTE]

Me!

Oh, and one of the fellas down the street from me. Him too!

I mean, really - do you guys actually buy this nonsense you post?

You really got to have a Hindu mind to understand.
some minds are like concrete, thoroughly mixed up and well set.

[QUOTE=TatTvamAsi;61700]LOL… Nietzsche, I finished my degree 6 years ago. All I remember is that flux is the movement from one medium/area/surface to another. My favorite upper div physics classes were of course QM, Analytical Mechanics, and Mathematical Physics… I HATED E&M… Jackson… oh Iswara… don’t remind me…

I’m a businessman now. much easier to do arithmetic than Dirac notation and relativistic QM. hhahahahhahha[/QUOTE]

Ugh…

All my book says it that Magnetic flux is defined by the cross product of B, the magnetic field, times A, the cross-sectional area that is perpendicular to the magnetic field.

Thus, Flux = BAcos(theta). It also goes on to say that changes in magnetic flux can create differences in voltage, hence Electro-motive forces. Hence, Faraday’s Law of Electromagnetic Induction says that the magnitude of the Emf in a circuit is equal to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

E = [U]d[/U]

dt

Beyond that however, no mention is given of what the flux actually IS.

I hope this little review may cause you to have an epiphany. :smiley:

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;61751]Me!

Oh, and one of the fellas down the street from me. Him too!

I mean, really - do you guys actually buy this nonsense you post?[/QUOTE]

You mean the following shit you excrete, scum?

Face the facts: without western civilization and Christianity, India and the vast cultures if the world would still be wrangling on or near the stone age; living, fighting and dying under primitive tribalism.

This is a good start Surya. I’ll contact A R Rahman so he can compose an upbeat score. You and Friedrich practice your dance routines (who’s the stright guy?). Leave everything to me and I’ll have you guys prancing down the red carpet come Oscar season.

May have to change the old testament theme thing a bit. Violence is good, but can you find some sexy bits? Just try to resist casting any girls under 16. I’ve read about old Hindu men’s preference for marrying the young ones. Won’t go over well out here. Round up some lower caste filthy untouchable bastards to haul the equipment around on the cheap, and we’re set.

Are child brides still condemned by Hindu law to be outcasts because they are widows? That’s not very yogic.

Here’s the synopsis:
The Hero: Surya Deva, he’s a rich boy, a spoiled brat. His mother has died and his mean father has remarried a Chritian woman. Surya often sees his mother in his dreams where she begs him to find a nice girl and settle down. When we first meet our hero he’s surrounded by scantily clad girls prancing around him in their vast garden, while white and lilac petals fall from the sky. They sing:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
Āpa kē li’ē hamārā pyāra pīlē bukhāra kī taraha jalatā hai.
(Our love for you
Burns like yellow fever!)

Our hero has charms to distract the girls while dancing - singing of his dream girl.
She comes to me
Like biscuit from the cupboard
So dry at first
But dunked in milk
So white to see

The Heroine: Fraulein Freidrich (funny name for a hindu girl, but we can make it work). She is the epitome of today’s generation. Fraulein Freidrich is poor outcast from a small village, but her jewelry is designed by Tanishq. Our heroine is having a bath in the local canal when our hero sees her. Their eyes meet, heartbeats stop, music happens, everyone around them begins the choreographed dancing rountine, the camera pans a wide panoramic shot of the scene, and love is in the air!

Fraulein Freidrich sings the main theme tune:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
My love for you
Lifts me up like a lever!

The Villain: (TBA) Surya’s father and his Christian wife, always spying on them from behind the doors or the trees. They sing as well:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
If you marry her
We will carve you with a cleaver!

Meanwhile, one lonely night our hero is alone, looking out into the Ganges, when his ghostly mother appears to him:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
Fraulein Freidrich is too brown
Why don’t you leave her?

SD:
Mām̐, maiṁ apanā dūdha liyā hai,
lēkina ēka chōṭī sī mēka’apa
Fraulein Freidrich pārita kara sakatē haiṁ wih.
(Mother, I’ve had your milk, but wih a little makeup Fraulein Freidrich can pass.)

This goes on for a couple of hours, then our villains kidnap Fraulein Freidrich and take her to a palace that has a pool filled with pink acid. Much singing and dancing there. But, our hero’s best friend urges Surya Deva to rescue the Fraulein.
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
If you let this happen
You will surely bereave her!

So, off they prance - the scantliy clad girls in tow - to rescue the Fraulein Freidrich from the clutches of the evil father and Christian stepmother. When the arrive, a great fight ensues with a cast of thousands. Carefully choreographed, the villains and heroes battle for another hour or so. Finally, Surya Deva rescues his Fraulein Freidrich, but as they sing to each other, they realize they cannot remain on Earth together, so they decide to jump into the pool of pink acid. As they sink, to their knees, then their waist, then their shoulders, the camera zooms into a close up and our lovers kiss passionately. The fighting stops and sun is blacked out by a swarm of parrots, their droppings falling on the villains.

But wait! It’s not over! Our lovers emerge in heaven, hand in hand (the scantily clad girls are there to meet them) and they are shown to a table full of great food by our hero’s mother. At the table are many guests, including Siva, Jesus, Allah, and the prophet MHd (have to careful there. Don’t want to make the same mistake as the Danes). Everyone is happy to see them, and the final song echoes with Rahman’s signature beat, while white and lilac petals fall from the sky.
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
Now you have the chance
To show her your pecker!

(note: the preceding is a parody. Any resemblance to any person or culture, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Your humble narrator’s personal views are not in any way reflected here )

As for the other selected quote: subjugating large populations of your own culture and entrenching that in your religion is exactly the same as any inquisition, crusade or witch burning. In fact, it’s worse - it’s damned cowardly. Better, I suppose, to pick on the weakest members of your society. To place those of ‘darker’ skin tone below you and brand them as untouchable to be scorned and abused. To kill your female babies because they do not conform to master’s wishes and be male. To marry off your child brides because they are to powerless to say no.

This illustrates the weakness of the society. They didn’t go outside their own borders because they were afraid to. Had they faced the barbarian christians they would have had the shit kicked out of them sincerely, which eventually happened when the British sauntered in easily. And the barbarians would not have only focused on the weak. They would have taken aim squarely at the strong (that’s not saying much, if their behaviour is any judge), knocked them down a few pegs, and laid them on the doorsteps of the very castes they shat on (who would most probably have taken care of them).

Quote:
Another strawman. Read up on Indian history and it will become clear they went well beyond their borders. Here is a pointer: Read up on the Sri Vijaya empire to begin with. As for having the shit kicked out of them? Read on Alexandra’s attempted invasion of India and how he ran away when faced with the superior Indian army, not only that, he gave up his previously captured territory to India. The British invasion of India was no cake walk either, they had to fight wars with powerful Indian kings, and even lost some wars.

Yeah. Right. Lol

“I agree with you. India is a very backward and unenlightened society that subjugates her women and restricts their rights as given to men. Hopefully the new media will awaken and enlighten the people and they will demand freedom from male-dominated, antiquated doctrine. Fingers crossed.”

"Total and utter dribble. India was very proficient at abusing her citizens long before Hannibal came traipsing over the horizon. In fact, I would venture to bet that India taught the West all they know about citizen abuse (and I know you know what I’m talking about).

Until you can explain yourself and apologize, every post you make will be followed by a c/p of this.

Greetings of the day, I agree with you completely

[QUOTE=Nietzsche;61886]Until you can explain yourself and apologize, every post you make will be followed by a c/p of this.[/QUOTE]

Fraulein Frederich - I briefly took you off my ignore list to see what silliness you are posting. Thanks for reiterating some of my observations. Nothing there I would apologize for or rephrase. Now, I will get you back on ignore.

Ciao.

[QUOTE=FlexPenguin;61890]Fraulein Frederich - I briefly took you off my ignore list to see what silliness you are posting. Thanks for reiterating some of my observations. Nothing there I would apologize for or rephrase. Now, I will get you back on ignore.

Ciao.[/QUOTE]

I knew this is what you had said even before I clicked “view post.”

You mean you take pride in being a racist ignoramus who doesn’t know a rat’s fart about Indian history and Indian societal developments. Yet, you practice yoga and spout clich?d philosophical and spiritual nonsense in a sententious display of your so called wisdom.

And you guys wonder why we Indians get so pissed about you adopting our culture? You barbarians will always remain barbarians. Not even the civilizing influence of our superior ways can change that.

The Western world is a thoroughly unenlightened place that subjugates non-whites. I wouldn’t be surprised if it taught India everything it needed to know about citizen abuse (you all know what I’m talking about).

You, in particular, are a piece of human excrement that should have been flushed long ago.

Without further ado, I present everyone the following:

Face the facts: without western civilization and Christianity, India and the vast cultures if the world would still be wrangling on or near the stone age; living, fighting and dying under primitive tribalism.

This is a good start Surya. I’ll contact A R Rahman so he can compose an upbeat score. You and Friedrich practice your dance routines (who’s the stright guy?). Leave everything to me and I’ll have you guys prancing down the red carpet come Oscar season.

May have to change the old testament theme thing a bit. Violence is good, but can you find some sexy bits? Just try to resist casting any girls under 16. I’ve read about old Hindu men’s preference for marrying the young ones. Won’t go over well out here. Round up some lower caste filthy untouchable bastards to haul the equipment around on the cheap, and we’re set.

Are child brides still condemned by Hindu law to be outcasts because they are widows? That’s not very yogic.

Here’s the synopsis:
The Hero: Surya Deva, he’s a rich boy, a spoiled brat. His mother has died and his mean father has remarried a Chritian woman. Surya often sees his mother in his dreams where she begs him to find a nice girl and settle down. When we first meet our hero he’s surrounded by scantily clad girls prancing around him in their vast garden, while white and lilac petals fall from the sky. They sing:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
Āpa kē li’ē hamārā pyāra pīlē bukhāra kī taraha jalatā hai.
(Our love for you
Burns like yellow fever!)

Our hero has charms to distract the girls while dancing - singing of his dream girl.
She comes to me
Like biscuit from the cupboard
So dry at first
But dunked in milk
So white to see

The Heroine: Fraulein Freidrich (funny name for a hindu girl, but we can make it work). She is the epitome of today’s generation. Fraulein Freidrich is poor outcast from a small village, but her jewelry is designed by Tanishq. Our heroine is having a bath in the local canal when our hero sees her. Their eyes meet, heartbeats stop, music happens, everyone around them begins the choreographed dancing rountine, the camera pans a wide panoramic shot of the scene, and love is in the air!

Fraulein Freidrich sings the main theme tune:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
My love for you
Lifts me up like a lever!

The Villain: (TBA) Surya’s father and his Christian wife, always spying on them from behind the doors or the trees. They sing as well:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
If you marry her
We will carve you with a cleaver!

Meanwhile, one lonely night our hero is alone, looking out into the Ganges, when his ghostly mother appears to him:
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
Fraulein Freidrich is too brown
Why don’t you leave her?

SD:
Mām̐, maiṁ apanā dūdha liyā hai,
lēkina ēka chōṭī sī mēka’apa
Fraulein Freidrich pārita kara sakatē haiṁ wih.
(Mother, I’ve had your milk, but wih a little makeup Fraulein Freidrich can pass.)

This goes on for a couple of hours, then our villains kidnap Fraulein Freidrich and take her to a palace that has a pool filled with pink acid. Much singing and dancing there. But, our hero’s best friend urges Surya Deva to rescue the Fraulein.
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
If you let this happen
You will surely bereave her!

So, off they prance - the scantliy clad girls in tow - to rescue the Fraulein Freidrich from the clutches of the evil father and Christian stepmother. When the arrive, a great fight ensues with a cast of thousands. Carefully choreographed, the villains and heroes battle for another hour or so. Finally, Surya Deva rescues his Fraulein Freidrich, but as they sing to each other, they realize they cannot remain on Earth together, so they decide to jump into the pool of pink acid. As they sink, to their knees, then their waist, then their shoulders, the camera zooms into a close up and our lovers kiss passionately. The fighting stops and sun is blacked out by a swarm of parrots, their droppings falling on the villains.

But wait! It’s not over! Our lovers emerge in heaven, hand in hand (the scantily clad girls are there to meet them) and they are shown to a table full of great food by our hero’s mother. At the table are many guests, including Siva, Jesus, Allah, and the prophet MHd (have to careful there. Don’t want to make the same mistake as the Danes). Everyone is happy to see them, and the final song echoes with Rahman’s signature beat, while white and lilac petals fall from the sky.
Surya
Surya
Surya Deva
Now you have the chance
To show her your pecker!

(note: the preceding is a parody. Any resemblance to any person or culture, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Your humble narrator’s personal views are not in any way reflected here)

As for the other selected quote: subjugating large populations of your own culture and entrenching that in your religion is exactly the same as any inquisition, crusade or witch burning. In fact, it’s worse - it’s damned cowardly. Better, I suppose, to pick on the weakest members of your society. To place those of ‘darker’ skin tone below you and brand them as untouchable to be scorned and abused. To kill your female babies because they do not conform to master’s wishes and be male. To marry off your child brides because they are to powerless to say no.

This illustrates the weakness of the society. They didn’t go outside their own borders because they were afraid to. Had they faced the barbarian christians they would have had the shit kicked out of them sincerely, which eventually happened when the British sauntered in easily. And the barbarians would not have only focused on the weak. They would have taken aim squarely at the strong (that’s not saying much, if their behaviour is any judge), knocked them down a few pegs, and laid them on the doorsteps of the very castes they shat on (who would most probably have taken care of them).

Another strawman. Read up on Indian history and it will become clear they went well beyond their borders. Here is a pointer: Read up on the Sri Vijaya empire to begin with. As for having the shit kicked out of them? Read on Alexandra’s attempted invasion of India and how he ran away when faced with the superior Indian army, not only that, he gave up his previously captured territory to India. The British invasion of India was no cake walk either, they had to fight wars with powerful Indian kings, and even lost some wars.

Yeah. Right. Lol

“I agree with you. India is a very backward and unenlightened society that subjugates her women and restricts their rights as given to men. Hopefully the new media will awaken and enlighten the people and they will demand freedom from male-dominated, antiquated doctrine. Fingers crossed.”

"Total and utter dribble. India was very proficient at abusing her citizens long before Hannibal came traipsing over the horizon. In fact, I would venture to bet that India taught the West all they know about citizen abuse (and I know you know what I’m talking about).

Nietzches,…and barbarians…you are funny at times…Dribbling nonsense about the west, you hindu…,well …

I know and have known Indian English teachers…does this mean they shouldn’t be teaching English chaps? Oh Yes and this must apply to all cultures that adopt other cultures ways, habits, sports, religeons etc etc…

So we can do away with bringing all nations together. We can forget about communications with all other cultures unless it is in their language and their reply, in ours.

We will all stick to our own cultures ways, and in doing so, take a few steps backwards.

Oh yes, and all people must live in the country of their fathers, shall we say?

Yeah, I know. These herrs und their “mein ist der zuperior race” crapola. They should just drinken der shnapps und haf a lie-down in savasana.

Yep, relax, take a chill pill…chill in the still, watch your Uranus, its out for trouble…

[QUOTE=kareng;61907]Nietzches,…and barbarians…you are funny at times…Dribbling nonsense about the west, you hindu…,well …

I know and have known Indian English teachers…does this mean they shouldn’t be teaching English chaps? Oh Yes and this must apply to all cultures that adopt other cultures ways, habits, sports, religeons etc etc…

So we can do away with bringing all nations together. We can forget about communications with all other cultures unless it is in their language and their reply, in ours.

We will all stick to our own cultures ways, and in doing so, take a few steps backwards.

Oh yes, and all people must live in the country of their fathers, shall we say?[/QUOTE]

You mean the Truth about the West…the Truth butt-hurt Westerners are unwilling to see about themselves.

Don’t be illogical. Languages and general knowledge are distinct from cultural practices. You can’t just superficially “teach” a cultural practice without the right foundation.

And now you are misunderstanding me. Bringing together nations isn’t a problem so long as they aren’t slaving under Western capitalist corporations and other monied interests.

Bringing together people isn’t a problem as long as there is respect and understanding.

Bringing together cultures isn’t a problem so long as there is empathy.

Seeing that none of the above apply to the Western world, it is only logical to re-evaluate the manner in which the rest of the world associates itself with the destructive and oppressive West.

P.S: The world was much better off when everyone was doing their own thing, sticking to their own cultures. Then came the Westerners, who fucked up everything and now expect the rest of the world to bow-down to their cultural and economic imperialism. That ain’t gonna happen.