Will America become Hindu by the end of the century?

Recently, a member here made me aware of a very significant news event: Julia Roberts and her husband and children have converted to Hinduism and become practicing Hindus. I already knew that 20 million Americans are practicing Yoga and I already know how much the new-age movement has proliferated Hindu teachings in America. However, I had no idea how much it had prolifterated until I did some research on it online and found the following articles which confirm that America really is becoming Hindu ideologically.

We Are All Hindus Now
America is not a Christian nation. We are, it is true, a nation founded by Christians, and according to a 2008 survey, 76 percent of us continue to identify as Christian (still, that's the lowest percentage in American history). Of course, we are not a Hindu—or Muslim, or Jewish, or Wiccan—nation, either. A million-plus Hindus live in the United States, a fraction of the billion who live on Earth. But recent poll data show that conceptually, at least, we are slowly becoming more like Hindus and less like traditional Christians in the ways we think about God, our selves, each other, and eternity.

Now I have already prophecized that America - nay - the whole world will become Hindu by the end of the century and I am convinced of it. I am convinced because of the following reasons:

1. It is not really a religion as much as it is a socio-cultural philosophy and science. It is possible to be a practicing Christian, Muslim or Jew and still embrace this socio-cultural philosophy and science. However, I say this with some qualification, because although one can still be Christian, Muslim or Jew by namesake, they will ideologically become Hindus. Accepting spiritual pluralism, spiritual development, spiritual evolution and reincarnation, karma and dharma are all defining Hindu tenets.

2. The massive acceptance of Yoga, Ayurveda which will inevitably soon be followed by Vaastu and Jyotisha all of which are Hindu arts and sciences will spread Hindusim strongly through America. In fact practicing Yoga is very much a formal Hindu religious practice.

3. The current postmodern and globalization philosophical mindset of the world which encourages philosophical, religious and artistic pluralism is identical in its epistemology to Hinduism. Hinduism consists of traditions as diverse as atheism, hedonism, monism, dualism, pluralism, idealism, realism, theism and relativism, that it makes it a defacto meta-structure for a global religion within which all other religions too can survive, but only in accordance with the principles of Hinduism.

4. The revivial of India on the world stage as a global power and as upcoming superpower gives Hindus political and economic clout to represent Hinduism and its history globally. This can already be seen with the popularity of Indian cinema, Indian cuisine and Indian fashion in the world. However, more importantly, Hindu history is becoming more well known and its central role in shaping world civilisation is also becoming more widely known largely due to the information available on the internet. Its central role in the development of science, medicine, mathematics, religion and philosophy will give it global credibility. This can also be seen with the revision of Indian hisory thanks to Hindu campaigns to discredit the Aryan invasion theory, which has now been widely rejected by current scholarship. Leading to the inevitable conclusion that the Aryans were Hindus from India.

5. Hinduism is widely being portrayed as a scientific religion and many scholars have pointed to the similarities of Hinduism with Quantum mechanics, modern psychology and ecology which means that it can help build a bridge between science and religion.

6. All Hindu tenets and practices have scientiific evidence to support them. Yoga is now a scientifically proven practice and we have also been able to verfiy the different states of conscousness talked about in Hinduism. There is now scientific evidence for OBE, NDE and reincarnation, which collectively prove all the core tenets of Hinduism. This gives Hinduism scientific credibility.

What do you think? Do you agree with my prophecy and do you think this will be a good thing for the world and religion?

These articles make some compelling arguments! You mention this prophecy many times in other threads and it will be interesting to see if it turns up and how it does so along the way! In the meantime, let us focus on the heart and essence of that which we find true and good, serving and helping others as they need and allowing them to serve and teach us on our paths.

If that means tasty curry and naan on every corner instead of McDonalds, I’m in.

@David
With your tummy David you’re better off staying away from curries and eating roti that is wheat-free. But you can dream. :slight_smile:

Hahahaaa!

I like the way you think, David! That would be DELICIOUS! MTV would play Indian music videos, too…

Yeah I have often wondered why are there no global fast-food Indian chains like Mcdonlads, because there are such fast-food chains in India(Nirulas) It would be so much better than the rubbish we get served in Mcdonlads and Burger king.

I think the biggest road block to the USA becoming Hindu is we couldn’t eat beef. If you take In-N-Out Burger away from those on the west coast, there will be civil war.

America would be crying, “Where’s the beef!” I, however would thrilled to have Indian fast food here. I am vegetarian so it would easy! SD- Explain the Indian fast food restaurants in India. Interesting!

Julia Roberts? Now, if Tom Cruise converts I’ll be convinced.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;34730]Do you agree with my prophecy and do you think this will be a good thing for the world and religion?[/QUOTE]

Usually the stronger a religion becomes the more it will be attacked by opposing religions. Call me a sceptic but I do not believe there will ever be ONE religion in this world, not without another religious war!

You only need to go as far as this forum to see how difficult it can be to change opinion, and we all have yoga in common! Imagine when there is no commonality…!

If only there was always only one religion, how many lives we could have spared :frowning:

[QUOTE=David;34768]I think the biggest road block to the USA becoming Hindu is we couldn’t eat beef. If you take In-N-Out Burger away from those on the west coast, there will be civil war.[/QUOTE]

I would be inclined to lead the army. On the rare occasion I allow myself to indulge, it is often In-N-Out and it is always accompanied by dipping my fries into their chocolate shakes. Mmmmmmmm…

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;34761]Yeah I have often wondered why are there no global fast-food Indian chains like Mcdonlads, because there are such fast-food chains in India(Nirulas) It would be so much better than the rubbish we get served in Mcdonlads and Burger king.[/QUOTE]

With good old Hindu know-how, and your impecable genius to guide them, I’m sure a way will be found.

Contact these guys http://motimahal.in/franchise/ and get started.

[QUOTE=omamana;34774]Usually the stronger a religion becomes the more it will be attacked by opposing religions. Call me a sceptic but I do not believe there will ever be ONE religion in this world, not without another religious war!

You only need to go as far as this forum to see how difficult it can be to change opinion, and we all have yoga in common! Imagine when there is no commonality…!

If only there was always only one religion, how many lives we could have spared :([/QUOTE]

I think it will be very hard to reconcile the fundamentalist versions of the religions on the planet, but reconciling the liberal versions will be eaiser. I think this is already underway as recently there have been global religious conferences where representatives of all religions have met and agreed to foster a common understanding.

These videos are very interesting and indicating that there is a shift towards a one world religion mindset:

There are two ways to look at this. This is a very good thing which will mean a new golden age on earth of cooperation where all nations, religions are united by a global body which promotes peace and harmony and common resolve and realise the Hindu ideal of unity in diversity or it mean a fascist new world order dictatorship where everybody is forced to conform to only one way.

What I can see evidence of is the former. I think what we can see is rather than religion we have a new world spirituality which is obviously ideologically and epistemologically Hinduism. This has to be a good thing for the world and I will give the following reasons why

1. Spiritual evolution and reincarnation gives our life a noble purpose. That is we are here to becoming more loving, peaceful and realised beings and we will gradually evolve. There are no missed opportunities because we will always get another chance

2. God becomes intimate. Rather than believing in some external god out there who judges us we bring god into our heart and we have can a loving and intimate relationship with god without any fear.

3. The understanding that god permeates everything will allow us to be more ecological to the planet and to each other. It will make us feel responsible for the world and want to protect the ecosystems, animals and each other.

4. The need for centralized religious authority will disappear because everybody will be responsible for their own spirituality. Rather than having centralized religous authority, we will have spiritual advisors(Risis, gurus, sages, masters)

5. Everybody will have their own choice on how they want to connect to god and what concept of god do they want to adopt(impersonal, personal, form, formless) what scriptures they want to read.This means Christians, Muslims and Jews will still exist, but be far more tolerant and liberal than their predecessors.

I therefore think Hinduism is the ideal religion for the one world world religion of 21st century because it promotes exactly those global values we neeed for peace and harmony on Earth.

[QUOTE=David;34768]I think the biggest road block to the USA becoming Hindu is we couldn’t eat beef. If you take In-N-Out Burger away from those on the west coast, there will be civil war.[/QUOTE]

David, don’t scare me like that. My heart actually skipped a beat.
In-N-Out burger is the shining light of my west-coast memories.

Animal Fries,
Kelly

[QUOTE=omamana;34774]If only there was always only one religion, how many lives we could have spared :([/QUOTE]

Imagine how many more lives would be spared if there were no religion and only community.

YogiAdam, I’m not sure this community is ready for anything without dogma, much less Yoga. I am hopeful, though. There are a few here who get it and that will grow.

I’d rather like a world where everyone is fully hindu, christian, buddhist, atheist, agnostic, materialist and the line goes on, and all this in the same time.

I pretty much blame and condemn your attitude, and position. And I will do it, against christians, buddhists, yogis, theospohists, materialist, and anyone who only ideintifies oneself with only a part of what this world and universe is. There is nothing wrong being fully a hindu. But it is wrong to be only that, rejecting everything else.

A person who can only embrace a single religion, or worldview, among those many existing, is still far from understanding and truth. The truth is only one, but not a single separated form can claim it entirely for itself.

Hindusim is just as much lacking as other forms of external religions. Yoga is not a religion, it is still a deeply esoteric path of initiation. (When it is, because in 99 % of the phenomenon called yoga it’s only kids playing ghosts)
The time of blind believes has passed. Humanity has grown up. They need light in their heads, and warmth in their hearts. They are no longer sheep, but sheperds themselves.

A man came to Ghandi and said he will burn in hell. Because he killed a child. He was a muslim, and smashed the head of a muslim child.
Ghandi said: No, you will not, if you do what I say to you. Go, adopt a muslim child, and raise her like a true muslim.

You too, Surya, until you will raise a child of whatever religion but hindu, are not saved.

Namaste Hubert,

I think it would be a huge mistake in the interest of being politically correct to say all religions are the same and have the same value. I definitely think we should be religiously tolerant, but this does not mean we agree that every religion is equal. We have to note the differences as well which are fundamental. Some of those are

1. The Abrahamic religions have a history of violence, destruction, genocide, persectuion. In comparison Hindusim is very peaceful and prosperous and has a history, making huge contributions to philosophy, science, medicine, spirituality, arts, world civilisation in general.

2. The Abrahamic religions teach that it is either their way or you are condemned(at one time this literally meant death). In comparison Hinduism says there are many ways, as varied as there are people on this earth, and every path is valid and has its own strengths and weaknesses.

3. The Abrahamic religions teach that we are sinners or slaves and that we must constantly keep god happy or else we will be eternally damned. Our ultimate destiny lies in the judgement of an external god. Hinduism teaches that we are all divine and that we must strive to realise ours and everybody elses divinity. In this journey it says we may make many mistakes, but we should not worry because the law of karma will deal with our past deeds and we are always free to live our life differently. We can always turn to the divine.

4. Abrahamic religions says we only get one chance and that is the end of it. But how is then fair if some people get better chances than others by default? Some are born rich, beautiful, healthy in good families and some are not. Some die very early deaths and some much later. How much chance did a 2 year old get that died of TB? Hinduism can answer this by showing that we get several chances, as many as we need to realise the divine and our future birth is based on our past actions.

5. The Abrahamic religions say that do the actions now and get the results later on at judgement day. In other words you either accept on faith value that these religions will get you salvation or not. Hinduism says, do the actions now and get the results now, as fast as possible. Realise your divinity, becoming loving, peaceful, happy, wiser in this life alone through the means of the practice of Yoga.

6. Abrahamic religions are based on little more than faith and mythology. You are first told to accept whatever the book says as the infallible word of god. You are told stories but given little in terms of facts. Hindusim being a scientific religion gives you facts you can verify. We have been able to get scientific evidence for reincarnation for instance, but no scientific evidence for judgement day or Jesus being the lord. We have been able to get scientific evidence for the existence of the subtle body(soul) through OBE and NDE research, but no evidence for the fact that the soul is inside the body or the resurrection. We have scientific evidence for Yoga and meditation, but no scientific evidence for baptism.

7. The Abrahamic religions are exclusivist and always have chosen ones and a particular human language, a particular human book, founded by a particular founder and are based on a particular timeframe which has long elapsed. Hinduism, on the other hand is universal, it has no particular language, no particular book, no particular founder and no particular timeframe. It is a dynamic religion that changes in every day and age whilst maintaining the basic meta-structure. It is cosmological because it deals with eternal laws and the cosmos itself which it gives huge timeframes of trillions of years. It will always be relevant, but the Abrahamic religions will not. The Abrahamic religions end at judgement day and Hinduism never ends. It is entirely possible that a hypothetical alien planet would be practicing Hinduism, but not Christianity or Islam.

8. Contrary to what you just said Hinduism is not at all external. It is virtually all internal. This is why it does not require any clergy or formal religious authority, any need to attend temples or mass. It decentralizes authority and makes religion a personal matter for everybody to be taken by their own personal choice. In Abrahamic religions it is unthinkable of being an adherent and not attending Church/Mosque or obeying religious authority.

These differences are very fundamental to ignore. I would like you to see this video by an American academic, Stephen Knapp, who converted to Hindusim and is now a prolific writer and speaker to Western audiences. He explains why he converted to Hinduism :

The whole world will not be hindu by the end of the century. If anything it’s more likely to be muslim.

But who cares?

:slight_smile:

In fact to distill all those points down succiently to a fundamental difference which encapsulates all of them. That would be Hinduism is a religion of personal choice and freedom and Abrahamic religions are religions of dogma.

Hinduism seems to be completely about personal development and ecological development, giving responsibility to the individual to choose their own destiny. It enjoins the individual, much like Maslow, to develop every aspect of their being - physical, emotional and social, mental and spiritual and ultimately to self-actualize. This is basically Hinduism in a nutshell. There is no dogma at all, one is not even forced to accept god.

The fact of the matter is in the 21st century we do live in an individualistic society and our highest goals are indeed our own personal development. Most of us subscribe to the belief that we should develop holistically. Many of us have lost the need for centralized religious authority. Therefore Hinduism clearly meets the needs of the 21st century human. Even an atheist can be Hindu.

The motto of our 21st century civilisation should not be religion it should be spirituality(essentially what Hinduism is)

Frankly, barring a major technological breakthrough in energy research, I don’t think humanity is going to make it to the next century in a meaningful enough way to care what religion is what.

We’re unsustainable as is, and with India, China, and other nations modernizing, it’s only going to get worse until we hit that tipping point. We’re not willing to make the major lifestyle changes necessary for sustainability, so we all better turn to whatever god we pray to and ask for some cold fusion.