Will America become Hindu by the end of the century?

This is true David. I think we can agree on one thing though, something has to change fundamentally so that we can make our future bright, peaceful and prosperous. A planet that one would want to be born on(I frankly ask myself if I did have a choice, why would I want to be born here?). I think there is hope though, and India does provide that hope, because the architects of Indias modernity are not really focussing as much on industralization(as China is) but on the formenting of a ecofriendly knowledge economy. This is really obvious if you go to Delhi and witness how many trees are being planetd and ecofriendly initatives are being taken by the Indian government. I think India in general, and not because of my homeland bias, is a good model for the global world because it is the worlds largest democracy which managages so many diverse communities, languages, states, religions and ethnicites and culture. I am certainly not going to claim they do it perfectly, as there are many internal conflicts, but the fact that it is able to hold them together under a common rubrick is a huge achivement and promising for the future of a globalized world.

What we do not want in our future globalized world is a Mcdonalized world where the entire world is homogenized under Western culture, everybody speaking English, watching Hollywood, listening to MTV, dining at Mcdonalds, Burger King and Starbucks. That is a disaster and erodes our cultural diversity and creates a massive gap between the rich and the poor never to be abridged. Diversity is beautiful and enrichens us and we should never let that go.

Again I think it is Hindu values that are going to make a harmonious world. This is another reason why I think it is inevitable that Hinduism is going to become the religion of our century.

As for energy research I don’t think we need to worry too much. Modern science has advanced significantly and will always be able to meet our energy needs. The use of renewable energy sources, fuel cells, fusion, nuclear energy and the very promising developments in quantum science(pranic science) will meet all those needs. The main reason that fossil fuels are standardized is because they are a currency of power, and the powerful are not about to relinquish that power, until they really have to.

However, whatever we need to do, it must not repeat the mistakes of the past. We certainly do not need to return to religion because history itself is testimant to how destructive religion has been on this planet. At the same time, we certainly do need to turn away from materialism, because although religion has brought much destruction to this planet, materialism has bought destruction on a much larger magnitude such as world wars, systematic genocide through colonialism and the holocausts, and environmental degredation and now we are witnessing the collapse of the world economy. Most of all it has eroded our spirit. Therefore we need something radically different to create a sustainable and prosperous future:

Again it is my prophecy that this will be embracing the ideology and epistemology of Hinduism. However, I must point out that this is a very old prophecy, and some of the greatest Western intellectuals have long prophecised it:

The great German philosopher Aruther Schopenhauer once declared openly in this philosophical masterpiece " The World as Will and Representation" in 1819:

"We, on the contrary, now send to the Brahmans English clergymen and evangelical linen-weavers, in order out of sympathy to put them right, and to point out to them that they are created out of nothing, and that they ought to be grateful and pleased about it. But it is just the same as if we fired a bullet at a cliff. “In India, our religions will never at any time take root; the ancient wisdom of the human race will not be supplanted by the events in Galilee. On the contrary, Indian wisdom flows back to Europe, and will produce a fundamental change in our knowledge and thought.”

The great British historian Arnold Josepth Toynbee in His massive research published in 12 volumes between 1934 and 1961 as `A Study of History’. Author of several books, including Christianity: Among the Religions of the World and One World and India, declared this:

“It is already becoming clear that a chapter which had a Western beginning will have to have an Indian ending if it is not to end in self-destruction of the human race. At this supremely dangerous moment in human history , the only way of salvation is the ancient Hindu way. Here we have the attitude and spirit that can make it possible for the human race to grow together in to a single family.”

In 1952, Toynbee had observed: “In fifty years, the world would be under the hegemony of the USA, but in the 21st century, as religion captures the place of technology, it is possible that India, the conquered, will conquer its conquerors.”

The Great American Historian Will Durant has expressed very similar sentiments:

“It is true that even across the Himalayan barrier India has sent to us such questionable gifts as grammar and logic, philosophy and fables, hypnotism and chess, and above all our numerals and our decimal system. But these are not the essence of her spirit; they are trifles compared to what we may learn from her in the future.”

“Perhaps in return for conquest, arrogance and spoliation, India will teach us the tolerance and gentleness of the mature mind, the quiet content of the unacquisitive soul, the calm of the understanding spirit, and a unifying, a pacifying love for all living things.”

He has noted in his book, The Case for India:

“India was the motherland of our race, and Sanskrit the mother of Europe’s languages: she was the mother of our philosophy; mother, through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics; mother, through the Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity; mother, through the village community, of self-government and democracy. Mother India is in many ways the mother of us all.” Nothing should more deeply shame the modern student than the recency and inadequacy of his acquaintance with India…This is the India that patient scholarship is now opening up like a new intellectual continent to that Western mind which only yesterday thought civilization an exclusive Western thing."

http://www.hinduwisdom.info/quotes1_20.htm

I certainly hope their prophecies do come true. There is very good indication from the original articles I posted, the conversion of mainstream Hollywood celebs to Hinduism, and from the popularity of Yoga in America that they indeed are coming true.

Let us hope for a Hindu century.

[QUOTE=The Scales;34825]The whole world will not be hindu by the end of the century. If anything it’s more likely to be muslim.

But who cares?

:)[/QUOTE]

I couldn’t possibly agree more! If any religion was to take over, I would think it’s Islam. Where I’m from, no one even really knows or cares about Hinduism… and your spot on… who cares!!!

Immediate and meaningful access to communication tools like the Internet will decrease the need for organized religions, which relies heavily on controlling the message (no matter the denomination). The reaction by the deminishing congregation will be defensive fervency and subjugation. The intensity increases as the core shrinks until finally into nothingness. Something altogether different will fill the void, another new religion perhaps - or not.

That is a more likely scenario.

Islam is the fastest growing religion indeed, but this is only because the Muslims have a high population growth rate, so by default they are through sheer numbers replacing other religions. However, how many of those are modern people accepting Islam? Do you really think we will be accepting Sharia law? Worshipping Allah as the one and true god? Wearing Burkhas and growing beards anytime soon?

Can you imagine non-Muslim people all gathered in an assembly chanting Muslim prayers to Allah? No, but can you imagine non-Hindu people gathered in an assembly chanting Hindu mantras and prayers? No? Think again:

By the way listen to the end because it is beautiful beyond words!

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;34835]I couldn’t possibly agree more! If any religion was to take over, I would think it’s Islam. Where I’m from, no one even really knows or cares about Hinduism… and your spot on… who cares!!![/QUOTE]

I too agree with you both, but not on the ‘who cares’ part. I think it is important to care and to be aware. As Surya said, the Muslim religion is a religion of dogma, and therefore is not tolerant of other religions, should we not care about this? I am all for the ‘united by a global body which promotes peace and harmony and common resolve’ which Surya speaks of, one where I can still be a Christian, but within a tolerant and non-judgemental group, which organised religions lack!

[QUOTE=omamana;34849]I too agree with you both, but not on the ‘who cares’ part. I think it is important to care and to be aware. As Surya said, the Muslim religion is a religion of dogma, and therefore is not tolerant of other religions, should we not care about this? I am all for the ‘united by a global body which promotes peace and harmony and common resolve’ which Surya speaks of, one where I can still be a Christian, but within a tolerant and non-judgemental group, which organised religions lack![/QUOTE]

All religions are dogmatic. They are all divisive, dangerous, and belittle human intelligence. I think it’s a shame and an embarrassment that religions still exist. But how can we stop them. If someone wants to believe something, and practice a particular religion, how could we have the right to stop them? I know a lot of nice Muslims. I can’t stop them. Humans like answers. Our egos are fragile. Unfortunately a lot of us would rather believe in rubbish, than to admit we don’t know.

[QUOTE=YogiAdam;34851]All religions are dogmatic. They are all divisive, dangerous, and belittle human intelligence. I think it’s a shame and an embarrassment that religions still exist. But how can we stop them. If someone wants to believe something, and practice a particular religion, how could we have the right to stop them? I know a lot of nice Muslims. I can’t stop them. Humans like answers. Our egos are fragile. Unfortunately a lot of us would rather believe in rubbish, than to admit we don’t know.[/QUOTE]

Thats quite the broad sweeping brush you paint with there friend.

[QUOTE=The Scales;34856]Thats quite the broad sweeping brush you paint with there friend.[/QUOTE]

Yeah your right. Sometimes I don’t even know if I really like my own opinions to be honest. They can be pretty ugly at times.

"Will America become Hindu by the end of the century? "
This can happen depends on the way you look at word “hindu”.

If here hindu means ancient eastern way of thinking then yes it may possible.

Please note that i used ancient word because today’s indian mindset is almost on the verge of falling towards western mindset. Therefore in India affinity towards Yoga is declining . In west people are more attracted to it. Here by yoga I mean yogic lifestyle and not only just asanas. Yoga covers so many other things than asana.

Indian have been living in spirituality and found that they have got nothing like what west have achieved. And west have found that after achieving everything they found nothing that can give peace to them.

Both reached to their extremes and now moving in opposite direction. This is how people behave , they are never satisfy with what they have and keep on moving towards mirage that never comes.

Both should understand that it is not physical world that can keep them happy but it is inner self that should be very well understood. By simply becoming hindu peace or ecstacy can not be gained and neither by having all physical luxury of the west.

east and west both missing the presence of inner self. Of course there have been people who have transcended after knowing this.

Namaste Soham,

Spirituality was flourishing in India when India was a wealthy country. In the last 2 centuries India has not been a wealthy country, largely thanks to looting of its economy and resources by the British(These facts can easily by verified by looking at India’s economy prior to British rule) Today, India is becoming a wealthy country again, and spirituality is returning. You will know this yourself being from India how prolific Yoga has become in India today and how many ashrams and neo-Indian spiritual movements have taken afoot. So spirituality will return to India again.

When the West was not wealthy it was not spiritual. Today, the West is wealthy, and it is now becoming spiritual. If it loses its wealth, it will also lose its spirituality.

Why is this the case? It is based on a purely scientific principle best illustrated by Maslow’s triangle. If a man is poor his desires are purely driven by the needs for basic things like food, water and money. If a man has this, his desires are driven by the needs for luxuries such as comforts, fashion and sex. If a man has both, then this her desires are driven by the needs for intellectual and creative fulfillment through science, philosophy and art. If man has all of these then this his desires are driven by spirituality alone.

If we do not fulfill any of these stages in our growth our life would be complete. All stages need to be experienced.

By the way please do not call it “ancient eastern way” It was the ancient Vedic way. It all originated in the Vedic culture in India with the Aryans. The Indian subcontinent was their homeland and from India they spread the Vedic way all around the world.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;35228]Namaste Soham,

Spirituality was flourishing in India when India was a wealthy country. In the last 2 centuries India has not been a wealthy country, largely thanks to looting of its economy and resources by the British(These facts can easily by verified by looking at India’s economy prior to British rule) Today, India is becoming a wealthy country again, and spirituality is returning. You will know this yourself being from India how prolific Yoga has become in India today and how many ashrams and neo-Indian spiritual movements have taken afoot. So spirituality will return to India again.

When the West was not wealthy it was not spiritual. Today, the West is wealthy, and it is now becoming spiritual. If it loses its wealth, it will also lose its spirituality.

Why is this the case? It is based on a purely scientific principle best illustrated by Maslow’s triangle. If a man is poor his desires are purely driven by the needs for basic things like food, water and money. If a man has this, his desires are driven by the needs for luxuries such as comforts, fashion and sex. If a man has both, then this her desires are driven by the needs for intellectual and creative fulfillment through science, philosophy and art. If man has all of these then this his desires are driven by spirituality alone.

If we do not fulfill any of these stages in our growth our life would be complete. All stages need to be experienced.

By the way please do not call it “ancient eastern way” It was the ancient Vedic way. It all originated in the Vedic culture in India with the Aryans. The Indian subcontinent was their homeland and from India they spread the Vedic way all around the world.[/QUOTE]

If you were born in Georgia you might be a baptist.
Meditate on that for a bit.

[QUOTE=The Scales;35252]If you were born in Georgia you might be a baptist.
Meditate on that for a bit.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!

[QUOTE=The Scales;35252]If you were born in Georgia you might be a baptist.
Meditate on that for a bit.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, I wasn’t :wink:

[quote=Surya Deva;34824]Namaste Hubert,

I think it would be a huge mistake in the interest of being politically correct to say all religions are the same and have the same value. I definitely think we should be religiously tolerant, but this does not mean we agree that every religion is equal. We have to note the differences as well which are fundamental. Some of those are

1. The Abrahamic religions …
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////

These differences are very fundamental to ignore. I would like you to see this video by an American academic, Stephen Knapp, who converted to Hindusim and is now a prolific writer and speaker to Western audiences. He explains why he converted to Hinduism :

This is a very superficial way of looking at those religions you call abrahamic. And you probably count christianity as abrahamic. Which is maybe partly true. The essence of christianity for example in my opinion is clearly outside the abrahamic limitations you name (wheter if one accepts your list or not - probably you are yet again only right from a certain limited point of view).

Yet, I give you a quote frm the wikipedia article on Thomas Merton.

“[I]In January 1938 [/I][I]Thomas Merton[/I][I] graduated from Columbia with a [/I][I]B.A.[/I][I] in English. After graduation he continued at Columbia, doing graduate work in English. In June, a friend, Seymour Freedgood, arranged a meeting with Mahanambrata Brahmachari, a [/I][I]Hindu[/I][I] monk in New York visiting from the [/I][I]University of Chicago[/I][I]. Merton was very impressed by the man, seeing that he was profoundly centered in God, and expected him to recommend his beliefs and religion to them in some manner. Instead, Brahmachari recommended that they reconnect with their own spiritual roots and traditions. He suggested Merton read The [/I][I]Confessions[/I][I] of [/I][I]Augustine[/I][I] and [/I][I]The Imitation of Christ[/I][I]. Although Merton was surprised to hear the monk recommending Catholic books, he read them both. He also started to pray again regularly.”[/I]

Now, if one of the best hindus can do this, is a little more tolerance too much to be expected on your side ?

PS. My conviction is in not of the name of political correctness. You only assumed that I spoke on the behalf of that. My conviction is that every existing religious form is part of the divine plan, - one that might have actually been the main theme during a certain age -, and I find the position of being footed in one of them, while regarding the others as human distortions, baseless myths or legends, to be a very limited one. I never said they are not any diferent or they are equal. I said, they are all true, which is mindboggling to think into, yet not impossible. The limitations can be that of your own mind, and not necessarily being the limitations of your accused targets.

And while you depict hindusim to be a tolerant religion, yet you fail to account to the bloodshed between hindu and muslim. You probably say it’s not hinduism’s fault, but that of people’s. Than apply the same measure when you blame other religions for perescuting others. And I even give you that some religions are more prone to be violently applied. This does not change the fact that they are transcendental in origin, and were/are still part of the divine plan. Just as you do not measure a human being only by his/her errors, but if you want to be impartial, you will try to see his/her virtues, similarly, this is the right attitude to be applied in comparative religion too. If not, one becomes like the man, who falls in love with a woman, and than starts to scorn and scoff at any other woman. How elegant is that behaviour ? The honest thing is to give the best of your attention to your beloved, and leave others alone. Anyway, I rest my case just to save time for other matters. I pray that you’ll be graced by a little more open mind, more appreciation for good wherever it is present, and less attention to the faults of others.

[QUOTE=David;34732]If that means tasty curry and naan on every corner instead of McDonalds, I’m in.[/QUOTE]

LOL!:)) I’m in too!

Beautifully written Hubert! Thank you for sharing this with us. It is not a matter of who is right and who is wrong, but rather what is within and connecting to your own spiritual roots. The Dalai Lama also preaches tolerance of all religions. 2 great men saying the same thing!

Thank you again.

Each of your words is true Hubert. As a Hindu myself, I may add that Hiduism has never been institutionalized. There has been no single body or individual(s) who decide what Hinduism is or is not. It is like an ocean that provides shelter to many disparate schools and belief systems. Hindus are born respecting divergent, at times opposite view-points within their own fold, leave aside other religions.

The Hindu monk from University of Chicago is not an exception. We, as people are modest, tolerent, peace-loving and spiritual by nature. Unfortunately, some people outside of Hiduism, as well as inside, don’t like us precisely for that as their agressive instincts treat that as weakness.

Hinduism has existed as a religion for approx 10,000 years, at least of recorded history. It was simply understood to be dharma. Yes, it was not a formal institution and no there was no clergy, but it was obviously a religion. It was a religion that is founded by sages of the Vedas. This is why it is also known as the Vedic religion. It is not true that Hinduism is some open source postmodernist religion consisting of a mixing and matching of every belief system. It does indeed have distinct tenets as defined in the Vedas. However, what can be said is that Hinduism is a religion of generals rather than particulars, which gives it epistemological freedom to be creative within the remits of those generals. For example there are infinite ways we can depict the supreme reality Brahman.

No America will not be Hindu by the End of the Century.

THE END OF THIS STUPID THREAD.