Christianity And Reincarnation

[QUOTE=Davekyn;44762]I got up to the name calling…then it all just feel to bits for me. As to any of the above responses tainted with such antics or atmosphere; it only shows just how much some of you have to learn.[/QUOTE]

Yes…it shows how much we have to learn to perceive the true intentions in everyone and speak out against ignorance and anti-any-other-religion-other-than-Christianity propaganda in the West…

Now, just because people from other religions have realised that we had it right from the start, they are co-opting our teachings into their religions and desperately trying to find parallels in order to justify their acceptance of Yoga philosophy and practice.

I don’t think so. People like to do asanas because it makes them feel good. I stand on my head because it’s fun. I’m not looking to co-opt anything, and am not the slightest bit desperate to justify my acceptance of a tiny sliver of yoga. And I’m not at all opposed to altering that sliver, and/or corrupting it by adding pilates, gymnastics or aerobic dancing.

Even the yoga studios who have teachers that embrace eastern religions don’t teach much at all about yoga–just the asanas. I would bet that less than 5% of the hundreds of students where I do yoga have a clue about anything other than the postures. They’re just there for the exercise.

It’s not at all a question of whether Christians have it right. They have all the tools they need for the salvation of their souls. But while in the earlthy corruptible body, there is nothing wrong with a good exercise program.

[QUOTE=thomas;44767]I don’t think so. People like to do asanas because it makes them feel good. I stand on my head because it’s fun. I’m not looking to co-opt anything, and am not the slightest bit desperate to justify my acceptance of a tiny sliver of yoga. And I’m not at all opposed to altering that sliver, and/or corrupting it by adding pilates, gymnastics or aerobic dancing.

Even the yoga studios who have teachers that embrace eastern religions don’t teach much at all about yoga–just the asanas. I would bet that less than 5% of the hundreds of students where I do yoga have a clue about anything other than the postures. They’re just there for the exercise.

It’s not at all a question of whether Christians have it right. They have all the tools they need for the salvation of their souls. But while in the earlthy corruptible body, there is nothing wrong with a good exercise program.[/QUOTE]

Then again there are those who take Islam and Christianity at its true teachings and balk at doing emulating anything “kaffirs” and “pagans” do. “How could these ‘pagans’ have created something like yoga?” So they find ways to make themselves feel less dirty, among which includes going around and saying “Yoga is a 5000 year old Buddhist tradition.” Now I wonder which religion existed at that time…

You, fortunately, are not entirely like that.

I don’t think so. People like to do asanas because it makes them feel good. I stand on my head because it’s fun. I’m not looking to co-opt anything, and am not the slightest bit desperate to justify my acceptance of a tiny sliver of yoga. And I’m not at all opposed to altering that sliver, and/or corrupting it by adding pilates, gymnastics or aerobic dancing.

In your case it is true that you only do it for the asanas. However, you will find a sizable majority of people who do Yoga do some kind of Yoga which includes the spiritual parts. You recently took a poll of the views of members on this forum and you found a majority of them accepted Yogic spiritual beliefs(god within, reincarnation and karma) Some polls in America show that about 25% of Americans believe in karma and reincarnation. Incidentally, about 15-20% do Yoga. This is not a coincidence.

You revealed to me you also do meditation :wink:

Years ago I did a secular meditation, and found it brought a sense of “presence” and clarity.

I tried the meditation at the yoga studio to see what it was about, and I was pleasantly surprised, because it was not some kind of religious imposition–as I thought it would be–but mental exercises.

I see nothing wrong with that. I feel very clear and in-the-moment after such meditation, but have only been doing it in the weekly class. However I do a Catholic rosary almost daily, and though it involves a verbal prayer, it also involves a meditation on certain concepts, and also the fingering of the beads helps give a meditative aspect, similar to some of the yoga meditation exercises we did.

On this forum most people believe in reincarnation. I don’t know of many Christians who do, and those who do are most ignorant about their own faith. I would be surprised if more than a handful of Catholics from my church do any part of yoga. Note also that on this forum, there are very few Catholics or other Christians.

I wonder if that figure is correct about 15-20% are doing yoga. That seems high, though I don’t know for sure. At any rate, of that group, what percetage do you thing would recognize the name “Patanjeli”?

Then again there are those who take Islam and Christianity at its true teachings and balk at doing emulating anything “kaffirs” and “pagans” do. “How could these ‘pagans’ have created something like yoga?” So they find ways to make themselves feel less dirty, among which includes going around and saying “Yoga is a 5000 year old Buddhist tradition.” Now I wonder which religion existed at that time…

You, fortunately, are not entirely like that.

I think we should steal whatever we can from the pagans. No harm in that. Not to us or them. If not for pagans, we wouldn’t have Christmas trees.

My perspective is that there is goodness, truth, and beauty in all religions and belief systems. There is also the good intent of the believer.

There is much of yoga I would have to reject, but can still admire the yogi for his commitment and his search for truth in the way that seems best to him. I have to respect his good intentions, as well as the good that is in the belief system.

How does calling something “Buddhist” make it more palpable? I knew nothing about Hinduism or Buddhism before I joined this board, but I know a little about both now, and if I had only those two choices as a religion, I would quickly turn my back on Buddhism and run to Hinduism. Hinduism seems cheerful and hopeful. Buddhism seems dark and depressing.

I think you’ll find that Catholics, like me, though I don’t claim to be a good example of one, are much more open-minded and tolerant of other faiths, than our well-meaning fundie brothers and sisters.

But the Christian who wants to do yoga needs to be careful if he wants to be true to his faith. It’s not right to dismiss it as “evil,” but it’s not good either to embace it totally, as if it can be mixed with Christianity without any conflict. He needs to be discerning, and needs to be willing to reject and/or question certain things.

You are doing a vast majority of Yoga already, including the so-called spiritual parts.

Yamas and Niyamas: You are doing this on your own way by following the morals of your catholic faith and reading scripture. This aim is to develop a high moral character by abstaining from sexual indulgence and misconduct, living a humble and simple life, being content and peaceful and not harming others. As well as keeping your body clean. This prevents the build up of defilements in your mind.

Asanas and pranayama: You already do asanas. They are making you feel good because they are opening pranic pathways in your body by releasing tensions in your body. You do not yet understand the science of mind-matter interaction. So you are not aware how everything originally starts of as a thought in your body(fear, anger, lust, jealousy, hate etc) and then it get denser and denser and becomes solid matter in your body and it develops tensions, pains, aches in your body. The physical practice of Yoga frees this up by getting rid of these, allowing the energy to flow better. This has a direct impact on the well being of your mind.

I am not sure if you are doing pranayama, you will be doing some form of pranayama as part of your asana practice(asanas involve breathing regulation, concentration and stretching) In any case you will highly benefit from including a separate practice of pranayama. Like meditation is a mental exercise, it is breathing exercise. You do one form of pranayama naturally anyway - when you breath in deeply.

Pratyhara, dharana, dhyana and samadhi: I include all of these in one category because they pretty much collectively refer to meditation. You already do several forms of meditation a secular one, a Christian one and a Yogic one. I am not surprised you were not surprised that meditation was not a religious imposition. All meditation is picking an object(your breath, a concept, a word or phrase(mantra), deity/saint etc) and then being with that for the duration of the meditation. That is what Patanjali prescribes and that is what you are doing.

I also recommend adding concentration exercises to improve your focus in meditation. Again pick any object(most popular listening attentively to sounds, isolating one sound, watching a candle flame and watching the afterimage, watching a picture etc)

As far as the practice of Yoga goes, it sounds like you doing most of it, in fact pretty much all of it. Your practice will benefit from separate breathing and concentration exercises. You are already doing those as part of your standard asana practice, but doing them separately will add immense benefit to your Yoga practice.

Your only quibble is with the theory of Yoga(mainly because it contadicts your religious faith) and that to me is a minor quibble, because the theory will validate itself in the end.
You continue with the practice and you will experience the full monty from chakra openings, kundalini risings, OBES and past life memories. These are facts of nature like gravity and atoms and work whether you believe in them or not.

I was interested in meditation before doing Yoga myself. I am interested in the physiology and mind states that can be reached. It’s my intention to TAKE from Yoga and its practices or even religion parts and use it to the best of MY knowledge…as my understanding grows I may or may not be attracted further…however I believe I have the capacity to reach such states as the religious follows of yoga claim to reach, without accepting everything they teach.
Once the followers start to squabble over doctrine and so forth…I’ll withdraw like I do from any religion and see the hypocrisy for what it is. Seems every religion has the same faults in that dept…I’m just looking for inner peace & I’ll take it from where ever I think it exists…whilst my Christian counterparts tell me I can not find it within, I am beginning to see the more I cut out those that hold me back…the more I can see within…& I’m liking it as living with myself is becoming much easier. Just as some say you can tell by the fruit of the spirit, I have just as much success cutting out what I deem as negative energy…often those that preach…no matter what religion…leave a bad taste in my mouth…however I find those that LIVE…I readily open up to…no matter what religion.

Sorry to go of track guys…just my 2 cents worth
Peace out all :wink:

They use rosaries in Yogic japa(repetition) meditation by meditating on mantras or sacred words/concepts. I own a rosary myself, but I don’t use it, because I am not a fan of mantra or word-repeating meditation. I prefer my meditations to be as silent and natural as possible.

[QUOTE=thomas;44777]I think we should steal whatever we can from the pagans. No harm in that. Not to us or them. If not for pagans, we wouldn’t have Christmas trees.

My perspective is that there is goodness, truth, and beauty in all religions and belief systems. There is also the good intent of the believer.

There is much of yoga I would have to reject, but can still admire the yogi for his commitment and his search for truth in the way that seems best to him. I have to respect his good intentions, as well as the good that is in the belief system.

How does calling something “Buddhist” make it more palpable? I knew nothing about Hinduism or Buddhism before I joined this board, but I know a little about both now, and if I had only those two choices as a religion, I would quickly turn my back on Buddhism and run to Hinduism. Hinduism seems cheerful and hopeful. Buddhism seems dark and depressing.

I think you’ll find that Catholics, like me, though I don’t claim to be a good example of one, are much more open-minded and tolerant of other faiths, than our well-meaning fundie brothers and sisters.

But the Christian who wants to do yoga needs to be careful if he wants to be true to his faith. It’s not right to dismiss it as “evil,” but it’s not good either to embace it totally, as if it can be mixed with Christianity without any conflict. He needs to be discerning, and needs to be willing to reject and/or question certain things.[/QUOTE]

And this is why we Hindus are outraged and “want to take Yoga back.” You steal from other cultures to “enrich” your own, you make it into your own versions, you then defile those cultures, and eventually, make your version seem superior. You people are already doing it; saying Yoga isn’t a part of Hinduism, that Hinduism is a derivative of Yoga (wtf), and (my favorite) that Yoga is a 5000 year old BUDDHIST tradition. All we ask is some tolerance and understanding to our religion and culture; it does not matter to me if you make it our own, and selectively practice what you wish as long as you recognize the source. But no, most Americans still go around saying Hindu = cow worshipper, person who drinks from certain polluted rivers, and so forth without ever having studying its philosophy, its history, and etc.

No, all true Christians are by definition are intolerant. At least, unlike stupid American Protestants, you have courtesy to not voice it. Intolerance is intolerance not matter how you dress it up. Its a different matter if something deserves to be intolerated (I wonder what…). In that case, it is righteous to stamp it out.

I hear what your saying, but you need to let some of that go. I know it’s hard, but don’t end up being like what you despise most. Your too good for that.

Nietzsche,

You just got here. Why so grumpy already? Besides, the forum rules state you may not make grumpy posts until you’ve made at least 50 posts.

I don’t think Christians are so intolerant as you think. And who cares where yoga came from? I mean, why would anyone be upset if it came from Hinduism inststead of Buddhism? People are just blelieving what they’ve been told–not what they want to believe.

Maybe you could be the one to inform them. But you won’t get anywhere by calling anyone stupid and intolerant.

[QUOTE=thomas;44822]Nietzsche,

You just got here. Why so grumpy already? Besides, the forum rules state you may not make grumpy posts until you’ve made at least 50 posts.

I don’t think Christians are so intolerant as you think. And who cares where yoga came from? I mean, why would anyone be upset if it came from Hinduism inststead of Buddhism? People are just blelieving what they’ve been told–not what they want to believe.

Maybe you could be the one to inform them. But you won’t get anywhere by calling anyone stupid and intolerant.[/QUOTE]

Very well, I will abide by the forum rules. And thats not the point I was making. Regardless of whatever religion it comes from, people of that particular religion, especially if it has been heavily misunderstood, would want others to think better of it because of the benefits of its certain teachings. However, going around and still spreading propaganda and ignorant comments about it is especially frustrating to those of that religion. Perhaps calling people ignorant and stupid won’t change anything; but neither will narrow minded Christians (which you are not entirely) and Muslims change their beliefs to incorporate something from religions they have historically been at odds with. History has attested to that. It is especially so with Hinduism which is seen by Christians/Muslims as the last bastion of “paganism” and “idolatry” (which is why its so important to us; we need to preserve our culture and identity by guarding against those that seek to subvert it).

I’m just joking with you about that rule. I just made it up. He doesn’t have many rules here in the religion forum.

But I truly am interested in what you have to say. You might have some very valid points worth considering. It’s just hard to see them if there seems to be a lot of anger.

Oh. Gullible me.

Sorry. But isn’t it interesting that the word “gullible” is not in the dictionary?

[QUOTE=thomas;44911]Sorry. But isn’t it interesting that the word “gullible” is not in the dictionary?[/QUOTE]

It is in my 1k page Websters dictionary. :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=Nietzsche;44917]It is in my 1k page Websters dictionary. :p[/QUOTE]

You mean you looked it up?

(Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice…)

No, it was one of the words we had to define on our vocab lists (and one of the words we were tested over) just a week ago. I looked it up then because I remember I wanted an exact denotation. So I remembered seeing it in my dictionary.

But if your trick had indeed worked…XD.

Just thought I’d visit my thread which I haven’t been to in a while. I see it’s pretty much been take over by the Christian faithful on the one side and he radical Hindus on the other. It’s too bad how things can get out of hand when there’s no adult supervision. To the Faithful I say, I told you at the beginning, I know it’s not what you believe. And to those always foaming at the mouth, you really should try yoga. Peace be with you.