Christianity And Reincarnation

I thought Joe Kennedy made his fortune bootlegging whiskey. I’ll have to check into that.

[QUOTE=thomas;48483]I thought Joe Kennedy made his fortune bootlegging whiskey. I’ll have to check into that.[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I was talking about how he barely managed to pull of something, through economic savvy, that caused him and his family to continue to live in luxury (as they always had), even during the Great Depression.

Did he really? I am not that surprised.

Sry to keep this sad thread going. Can’t believe nobody mentioned this…Remember when Jesus and his diciples are are talking about the blind man who he heals. They ask him, “Rabbi…who sinned, he or his parents, that this man be born into the world blind?” He says, “neither sinned, but so the works of God may be revealed through him.” How can he sin if he has yet to be born into the world? Obviously Jesus and his desciples were aware of reincarnation for them to ask such a question. Jesus was Joseph also imo. The church changes their opinions all the time about various matters including reincarnation.

Reincarnation was a well known concept in ancient Judai. The platonists believed it and so did the Gnostics. Buddhism and Hinduism was also relatively well known. So it would not be surprising that Jesus disciples asked him about reincarnation. However, Jesus never actually confirmed it.

[QUOTE=Surya Deva;52594]However, Jesus never actually confirmed it.[/QUOTE]

Uhm, maybe cos he didn’t actually exist? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=High Wolf;52595]Uhm, maybe cos he didn’t actually exist? :p[/QUOTE]

Why can’t every Westerner be like you…

If they were, then I would have no problem saying West > India.

[QUOTE=Nietzsche;52616]Why can’t every Westerner be like you…

If they were, then I would have no problem saying West > India.[/QUOTE]

I am from neither west nor east. I am ‘from’ this blue planet, who is ‘humanely :rolleyes:’ charted by delusional ideologies and boundaries :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a number of connexion between christianity and reincarnation. The famous one, Jesus says, ‘I will die and be reborn in 3 days.’ Or Henry VIII famously quoted in his diary after Anne Boleyn’s execution: ‘l shall be reborn as the king of divine justice, given forth by the God, never to wither away.’

Metaphors nonetheless. I would believe in the connexion between reincarnation and christianity if someone shows me a living, flesh and blood Phoenix :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=High Wolf;52766]I am from neither west nor east. I am ‘from’ this blue planet, who is ‘humanely :rolleyes:’ charted by delusional ideologies and boundaries :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a number of connexion between christianity and reincarnation. The famous one, Jesus says, ‘I will die and be reborn in 3 days.’ Or Henry VIII famously quoted in his diary after Anne Boleyn’s execution: ‘l shall be reborn as the king of divine justice, given forth by the God, never to wither away.’

Metaphors nonetheless. I would believe in the connexion between reincarnation and christianity if someone shows me a living, flesh and blood Phoenix :p[/QUOTE]

No connection there. “Reborn” simply means “I’ll be back (Arnold Schwarzenegger accent) and show you the magical powers I have since I am ‘GOD’…” cricket chirp

There is a number of connexion between christianity and reincarnation. The famous one, Jesus says, ‘I will die and be reborn in 3 days.’

What he ACTUALLY said:

34 And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.

There is no reincarnation in Christianity.

[QUOTE=thomas;53337]What he ACTUALLY said:

There is no reincarnation in Christianity.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for making the most sense in this idiotic thread. It is an insult to Dharmic faiths to be associated with something so debased as Christianity.

You can pull verses out of the Bible to prove it teaches reincarnation, and you can pull verses out to indicate it certainly does not advocate it.

My opinion it certainly does NOT advocate reincarnation.

Scholars in Judaism that can read Hebrew do not believe in reincarnation and they know far more than some New Age person claiming it does.

Jesus did not say to the thief on ther cross next to him, you’ll be reincarnated, he said today you will be with me in paradise.

The wages of sin is death one life are clearly taught.

I’ve seen all the references supposedly on reincarnation - nonsense!!! people are just pulling out isolated verses often out of context or not understanding it (often too by people reading a translation that cannot even read the original Bible languages as Jewish scholars can). Just as Jehovah’s Witnesses pull out a few verses to advocate blood transfusions are wrong - nonsense! But they are pulling them out completely out of context and without knowing what they really mean in relation to the Bible as a whole.

[QUOTE=MindNinja;54752]You can pull verses out of the Bible to prove it teaches reincarnation, and you can pull verses out to indicate it certainly does not advocate it.

My opinion it certainly does NOT advocate reincarnation.

Scholars in Judaism that can read Hebrew do not believe in reincarnation and they know far more than some New Age person claiming it does.

Jesus did not say to the thief on ther cross next to him, you’ll be reincarnated, he said today you will be with me in paradise.

The wages of sin is death one life are clearly taught.

I’ve seen all the references supposedly on reincarnation - nonsense!!! people are just pulling out isolated verses often out of context or not understanding it (often too by people reading a translation that cannot even read the original Bible languages as Jewish scholars can). Just as Jehovah’s Witnesses pull out a few verses to advocate blood transfusions are wrong - nonsense! But they are pulling them out completely out of context and without knowing what they really mean in relation to the Bible as a whole.[/QUOTE]

Excellent. Yet another person who sees sense.

[QUOTE=Asuri;35771]John 3.3-6

I know its not the orthodox interpretation, but I’ve always viewed these verses as being about reincarnation. I get the sense that Jesus is talking about individuals here…[/QUOTE]

I’ve always kind of wondered about this too. I am no longer a follower but I did read the bible a lot growing up.

what are the religions that strong support reincarnation?

[QUOTE=YogaHelps;58097]what are the religions that strong support reincarnation?[/QUOTE]

Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism.

Don’t be fooled by those who think reincarnation is in the Bible.

Yes. Don’t be fooled by that Mukunda yoganada guy or that Sri Yuketswar Giri fella . . . both of whom - as far as I know have both studied the king james and yes - are - or were - or are - bad ass yogis. Both of whom saw refrences to

[I]the transmigration of the spirit.[/I]

within the text of the king james bible.

This isn’t dogma of course - within that system. It isn’t taught. But since the thing was put together by the wise and corrupted by the mad one can still find fragments of the concept here and there.

As far as I know.

[QUOTE=The Scales;58418]Yes. Don’t be fooled by that Mukunda yoganada guy or that Sri Yuketswar Giri fella . . . both of whom - as far as I know have both studied the king james and yes - are - or were - or are - bad ass yogis. Both of whom saw refrences to

[I]the transmigration of the spirit.[/I]

within the text of the king james bible.

This isn’t dogma of course - within that system. It isn’t taught. But since the thing was put together by the wise and corrupted by the mad one can still find fragments of the concept here and there.

As far as I know.[/QUOTE]

However, actual Christians would disagree with this ludicrous interpretation. I especially hold the Fundamentalists to their word with regards to what is stated in the Bible.

[QUOTE=Nietzsche;58473]However, actual Christians would disagree with this interpretation. I especially hold the Fundamentalists to their word with regards to what is stated in the Bible.[/QUOTE]

I tried to rework your post.

also

from what I see and read you have the instincts of the scientist. I’ve said this before - there is hidden meaning within the scriptures of the worlds great religions. All of them.
Things that are not readily apparent from literal interpretation rise up and spark realization as the gnosis grows. Gnosis arises from sadhana and through experience within the embrace of nature. Nature teaches slowly. She takes her time. She has all eternity after all. Whats the rush she might say?

On the flip side there is sadhana. Gnosis arises from it in due course at a relative speed correlating to multiple factors.

If it is true there a hidden meaning that can only be unlocked at the gnosis level then it is an unfaslfiable claim for us all not at that level. So we are simply going to treat it as an article of faith and nothing more.

I have no problem with a statements that says, “I believe there is reincarnation hidden in the bible” I do have a problem with statements that say “There is reincarnation in the bible”

[QUOTE=The Scales;58488]I tried to rework your post.

also

from what I see and read you have the instincts of the scientist. I’ve said this before - there is hidden meaning within the scriptures of the worlds great religions. All of them.
Things that are not readily apparent from literal interpretation rise up and spark realization as the gnosis grows. Gnosis arises from sadhana and through experience within the embrace of nature. Nature teaches slowly. She takes her time. She has all eternity after all. Whats the rush she might say?

On the flip side there is sadhana. Gnosis arises from it in due course at a relative speed correlating to multiple factors.[/QUOTE]

I know this. I have said several times that I respect all other cultures equally have consider them to contain all facets of the truth.

I have also said that I make an exception with Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. Why? Because these religion’s humanistic values (values that are inherent in all religions) are ALWAYS at a conflict with the organized religion itself. The influence of this dogma is so strong that even those who attempt to mellow it down still end up retaining vestiges of that bias.

The result is a beastly mess. You have Christian running around denouncing “false” religions while saying that they are simply bringing pagans out of the bestial and diabolical life they lead out of “love.” You have Christian “liberals” unconditionally denouncing homosexuality, gay rights, and abortion or asserting, in direct and indirect ways, their religious and cultural supremacy. There are even some Christians of the latter type on this forum, such as Thomas, Pandara, and Pawel (I believe that is his name).

In fact, the more one tries to break out of these Abrahamic dogmas, the more the haunting fears of “What IF there is a Hell?”, “What IF these religions are the correct ones?”, and “What if I have it all wrong?” plague you. Why?

Because Christians, Muslims, and Jews are required by their religion to believe in the infallible word of their scriptures. How many times have we seen Christians or Muslims citing the Bible and Quran respectively as if all the world’s knowledge was contained in their scriptures? “You religions are false because [insert Bible verse].” “Homosexuality is wrong because [insert Bible verse].” “All other religions are false [insert Quran and/or Bible verse].” These people have done a fabulous job of creating a net of logical fallacies and contradictions that even a questioning Christian/Muslim/Jew doubts himself in every step of the way.

Even worse is the supposed basis in history that these religion claim to have, especially with Jesus and Mohammed, resulting in a view that enforces the prejudice of THEIR religions because the correct/rights ones. Even more worse is that these religions are MONOTHEISTIC and, as per their scriptures, are SUPPOSED to be intolerant of other gods/ways. Altogether, these concepts are a HUGE deterrent to the “realization” you speak of Scales.

Even when Christians, Muslims, and Jews will have gained enough brain mass to comprehend the illogic of their self-assured prerogatives of having a monopoly on Truth and do away with these limiting credos, all they will have left are redundant humanistic ideals, nothing that sets them apart from any other religion, nothing that adds to our knowledge of the world.

Is this a bad thing? Not really; if that’s what rocks their boat, then it will be for the best, not only for them but for the rest of the world.

But ultimately, there is nothing special about any of these religions, even when all their illogical and immoral tenets are discarded.