Kundalini and the Breathless State

Another important point that I forgot to mention is take a look at the bone that you will be pressing on with your tongue. The two bones above it, that are supporting it, curl in. They are designed to take pressure bending quite a bit before they break. The nerve centers that we are suppose to press on to shut off our senses and enter the first stage of samadhi have to be in the dark red area above the extended part of the bone.

The reason my internal Nadi Shodhana is not very effective (leaking air) is because I’m not sticking my tongue into the holes of the nasal passageway far enough. You have to really stick your tongue in them to seal them off. In doing so, you start to apply pressure to this bone and learn how to shut off the senses.

This will take you to the void between the manifested and the unmanifested. Samadhi

Many posts in this thread.
Parmahansa yogananda spoke of a pranayama in his book.
people seem to be catching on.
"Phycho-physiological method that decarbonizes the blood and stops the accumulation of venous blood"
this method will magnetized the entire body.
It is an intense pranayama.
It is known as hyperventilation.
It is said in Chinese literature one should perform this, yet not forcefully, otherwise the heart begins to speed up.
It is easily done. Simple.
The pause in breathing Patterns, is the time when co2 builds up.
make your breath like ton an echo. Consistant and without pause.
The body will “tingle/vibrate”. You may discribe the sensation in your own words.
The magnetic stage comes after the vibratory stage.
Be careful.
Hyperventilation leads to respiratory alkalosis which when sustained will balance itself out via acidosis. You will be living in a state of extremes.
So.
be safe. As once you sustain respiratory alkalosis, your pranayama sessions become more powerful. Accumulative.
Be safe.

[QUOTE=Avatar186;83533]Many posts in this thread.
Parmahansa yogananda spoke of a pranayama in his book.
people seem to be catching on.
"Phycho-physiological method that decarbonizes the blood and stops the accumulation of venous blood"
this method will magnetized the entire body.
It is an intense pranayama.
It is known as hyperventilation.
It is said in Chinese literature one should perform this, yet not forcefully, otherwise the heart begins to speed up.
It is easily done. Simple.
The pause in breathing Patterns, is the time when co2 builds up.
make your breath like ton an echo. Consistant and without pause.
The body will “tingle/vibrate”. You may discribe the sensation in your own words.
The magnetic stage comes after the vibratory stage.
Be careful.
Hyperventilation leads to respiratory alkalosis which when sustained will balance itself out via acidosis. You will be living in a state of extremes.
So.
be safe. As once you sustain respiratory alkalosis, your pranayama sessions become more powerful. Accumulative.
Be safe.[/QUOTE]

You have no idea of what is being described, for some odd reason you have fixated on decarbonization and hypervetilation. Well maybe not odd you just have not yet experienced what is being described yet. If you ever do I assure you, you will chuckle at this misunderstanding.

Please understand I am not being mean, just correcting your misunderstanding.

Yoganandas editors often described things incorrectly and overstated things to make them sound and sell better.

Good luck this belief in hyperventilation and decarbonization is a dead end though.

Please correct my understanding then.

As well, What did yogananda mean? Or is this book itself wrong in its description?

My fixation on this pranayama is due to other results. I am not trying to attain extended suspensions of breath through it.
But! :slight_smile:
remember all breathing is either hyper or hypo unless you suspend cellular breathing :wink:

[QUOTE=Avatar186;83535]Please correct my understanding then.

As well, What did yogananda mean? Or is this book itself wrong in its description?

My fixation on this pranayama is due to other results. I am not trying to attain extended suspensions of breath through it.
But! :slight_smile:
remember all breathing is either hyper or hypo unless you suspend cellular breathing ;)[/QUOTE]
I will prepare an animated graphic for you and explain this in detail a little later once I am on a computer and not this mobile. Cellular breathing is a good term. Suspension of breath and heartbeat are side effects not goals. The real trick is connecting to prana once a person does this breathing, heartbeat and I imagine quite a few other things become redundent. Prana & I guess Kundalini can feel like many different things but the tingles from hyperventilation is not it, although there is a feeling that can be said to be close to that but it is deep rooted in the core of the spine the centers and Medulla coming out there is no lightheadedness. More later.

Hehe yes. One should not breath quickly.
Being light headed only happens to someone unaccustomed to taking deep breath.
as well. Deep breaths are not needed to hyperventilate.
Nor quick breaths.
In fact I would advise agienst both as they agitate the heart into increased pumping.
The ratio of co2 in the body is always fluctuating.
To gradually and gently lesson the co2 in the body activates the nervouse system.
A fun side note. The hallucinogen salvia divinourm causes this same activation of nerves, then suspension of breath is had and absorption of mind results. From my experiance many years ago, I would say it throws one into samadhi. Of course it is prematurely experianced when done in this manner. It also has a reverse tolerance effect. It is accumulative.

Anyway. When doing pranayama you will almost always hyperventilate. Unless you keep the co2 ratio right where it is at. The chill from a sneeze is actually due to a sudden drop in co2.
The problem with this pranayama, is the fact that I mention the word “hyperventilation” which is highly misunderstood.
If I told you my pranayama was to breath in and out consistantly and slowly would their be question? If I said doing this makes my entire body inside and out vibrate,and that it causes magnetization would their be question?
I am fixated on this pranayama when it comes to conversation because I find it funny how people are fixated on it being wrong. Especially when they have not tested it. It is detested for its western word has negative associations. Even though many of these associations are incorrect.
I have started to practice regularly as life now permits me too. This method is connected to sublimination of bindu into consciousness. This causes “bhava samadhi” ie the mind is pushed into samadhi via bliss. Physical rejuvination of the human body is a side effect of this.
The sages were correct when they said one must have abolished lust before sexual tantra is even possible. Ie "complete reversal of apana is needed before one can turn the lowest substance into consciousness itself. Although! I may have mentioned this, I know this topic is not the subject of conversation. :slight_smile:
Wrong pranayama leads to dizzyness and blacking out. It is often due to lack of brain oxygen.
This never happens when doing the pranayama I propose correctly.

[QUOTE=Avatar186;83546]Hehe yes. One should not breath quickly.
Being light headed only happens to someone unaccustomed to taking deep breath.
as well. Deep breaths are not needed to hyperventilate.
Nor quick breaths.
In fact I would advise agienst both as they agitate the heart into increased pumping.
The ratio of co2 in the body is always fluctuating.
To gradually and gently lesson the co2 in the body activates the nervouse system.
A fun side note. The hallucinogen salvia divinourm causes this same activation of nerves, then suspension of breath is had and absorption of mind results. From my experiance many years ago, I would say it throws one into samadhi. Of course it is prematurely experianced when done in this manner. It also has a reverse tolerance effect. It is accumulative.

Anyway. When doing pranayama you will almost always hyperventilate. Unless you keep the co2 ratio right where it is at. The chill from a sneeze is actually due to a sudden drop in co2.
The problem with this pranayama, is the fact that I mention the word “hyperventilation” which is highly misunderstood.
If I told you my pranayama was to breath in and out consistantly and slowly would their be question? If I said doing this makes my entire body inside and out vibrate,and that it causes magnetization would their be question?
I am fixated on this pranayama when it comes to conversation because I find it funny how people are fixated on it being wrong. Especially when they have not tested it. It is detested for its western word has negative associations. Even though many of these associations are incorrect.
I have started to practice regularly as life now permits me too. This method is connected to sublimination of bindu into consciousness. This causes “bhava samadhi” ie the mind is pushed into samadhi via bliss. Physical rejuvination of the human body is a side effect of this.
The sages were correct when they said one must have abolished lust before sexual tantra is even possible. Ie "complete reversal of apana is needed before one can turn the lowest substance into consciousness itself. Although! I may have mentioned this, I know this topic is not the subject of conversation. :slight_smile:
Wrong pranayama leads to dizzyness and blacking out. It is often due to lack of brain oxygen.
This never happens when doing the pranayama I propose correctly.[/QUOTE]

Enjoy.

H’m.
What happened to the animated graphic n such?

I apologize for offending seeking via sharing my view.
I hope you do not offend anyone by sharing your view seeking.
I apologize for being someone you cannot tolerate seeking.
I wish you good travels seeking.

[QUOTE=Avatar186;83554]I apologize for offending seeking via sharing my view.
I hope you do not offend anyone by sharing your view seeking.
I apologize for being someone you cannot tolerate seeking.
I wish you good travels seeking.[/QUOTE]

In specific as quoted:

You have made your point of view clear so never mind simply means I will not be spending my time preparing graphics and explanations which are time consuming to create for someone whose mind is already made up.

Enjoy means well wishing for what brings you enjoyment and the amusement you derive from misusing words and playing games writing on message boards.

In General:

In fact this whole sharing thing has been a great learning experience and what I have learned is I will be keeping a private journal from now on as communicating concepts like this with others really is not possible because everyone without exception believes what they want to anyway so why bother?

:slight_smile:
I’m not playing games. Sincerely seeking to fully master an experiance I had.
Although you are correct in the sense that, maybe I should refrain from calling it pranayama.
If I misused any other words or terms. Please tell me. It would be appreciated.

As well, I was only explaining what I did while I waited for your explanation.
people do believe what they want! You are correct.
Explaining your mind to others is and always will be charity. Unless you start charging :p.
my experiance is one that no one has considered seriously and that is ok.
But as I seek to master it, I also seek understanding. < that means I desire to know what you understand, and I desire to discuss it and understand your understanding.

If the world dosnt listen, please don’t be discouraged.

Conversation may always be controversial, but on a personal level. Know that I am listening,analyzing etc. For I love learning and understanding.

I will speak my views as you will speak yours.
This is how things are.
It is the nature of conversation.
Yet I desire to pick your brain just as much as I desire to speak.
for I know my views. But I want to know yours ;). Lol.
Although I have noticed this site and many other discussion sites have a nasty trend.
People start attacking eachother. Attack an idea,experiance, etc with logic.
Many get sucked into such arguments,these arguments often kill a thread.
I am speaking generally here. Not of you personally. I have been away from this forum for some time.
thus I do not know your actions. Nor do I care. My point is simply that such things are inefficient to growth. I would much rather apologize and continue the ideal conversation at hand.
This post is probably a little over kill when it comes to getting my point across. Yet I am not particularly word savvy. So! THE point. Please continue :slight_smile: for I did not mean to interrupt!
The time and effort you were ready to deal out for my benifit has been noted thrice. Thank you Seeking.

I will title it what we understand.

delusional rhetoric

[QUOTE=ray_killeen;83443]umunhum should contact the Guinness Book of World Records and attempt the record at holding breath underwater; 22 min 00 sec.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

[This reply is just to get subscribed to this topic in order to receive new comments]

Thank you Seeking, Umunhum and others for the very informing posts.

You are welcome. Thank you for taking your time to show gratitude it is refreshing compared to some of the replies that are just meanness of the writers mind appearing in text.

We are all mentally imbalanced. Half of the time the right part of the brain is receiving more power than the left and visa versa the other half of the time. This causes mental fluctuations or thought which leads to the false duality. As I’ve quoted before Yogananda wrote that “God Consciousness equals Human Consciousness plus Thought.” The Bible says “Be Still and Know That I am God.” Well how is this possible with this constant mental imbalance?

The human body is designed for the electricity to flow through the Central Nervous System or in Yoga parlance, The Sushumna. But because we were born to sin and placed in a body that is not functioning properly, we have 4 locks that prevent this from happening. These locks are at the Muladhara Chakra, the Manipura Chakra, the Anahata Chakra, and the Vishuddha Chakra. (The perenium, stomach, heart and throat respectively) So instead of the electricity flowing up the Central Nervous System (Sushumna), it alternates going up the sympathetic nervous system (Ida nadi) or the parasympathetic nervous system (pingala nadi). This again powers the right and left parts of the brain at different levels. When the electricity is flowing up the sympathetic nervous system, (left nostril open) the right brain is dominate. This, according to Satyananda, is the time to meditate.

This picture clearly shows the flaps of skin that cover the turbinate areas of the nostrils directing which nadi most of the prana will flow:

It is easy to balance the nadis so that the electricity flows up the Sushumna with Kechari Mudra. Find out which nostril is flowing more than the other and then stick your tongue as far up the open nostril as you can. This forces the breath to come through the clogged nostril slowly opening it up. This is Kechari Stage 3.

When I do this, it takes me out of the breathless state. Normally the clogged nostril doesn’t allow the build up of CO2 to escape fast enough and my diaphragm kicks in. In a few minutes, the clogged nostril starts opening up, my breath slows and then finally stops again. This puts you into a sublime state of bliss. I am now questioning whether I am supposed to perform Nadi Shodhana or just continually stick my tongue into the free flowing nostril and leave it there. I feel like I am being guided to just sit in the breathless state with the tongue in the open nostril.

I have daily experiences where after a few minutes of holding the tongue in the open nostril, Dharana or one pointedness of mind takes place. Your entire focus becomes the contact of your nostril (Yoni) and your tongue (phallus). Slowly but surely the Yoni opens up more and more and then I become just the tip of my tongue. I feel like my tongue is coming out of a restricting circle and then free to explore the universe. It starts more snake like actions just like when I first started closing off the back of my throat in the later stages of Kechari Stage 1.

Right now my tongue is not long enough to make it to Samadhi though, so it feels like when I first made Kechari Stage 2 and couldn’t feel the entire holes of my nostrils. I just feel open air. I don’t feel the bone that I’m suppose to push on that crimps the nerve signals to the lower brain yet. I have no doubt that the snake like action my tongue is making is going to eventually push on that bone and shut off the nerve signals from the eyes, ears, nose and mouth.

I do like performing Internal Nodi Shodhana when I walk. I take 4 steps on the inhale, 4 steps on the Kumbhaka, 4 steps on the exhale and finally 4 steps on the Kumbhaka. After doing this for a few minutes my nostrils get lubed up and start opening up. When my Vishuddha opened up 5 months ago, I could only put my tongue in the turbinate areas for a few seconds, it was just too sensitive. Now I have no problem shoving my tongue up as far as it can go for however long I want, but it is still too thick and not long enough. I need to practice milking a lot more than I do.

I think I progressed by holding my tongue in the turbinate areas while performing Dynamic Jalahandra Bandha, which is just rolling your head in circles with an inhale kumbhaka. Lahiri calls this Thokar and says you should work your way up to 200 head circles with one breath. This is obviously impossible for anyone who has not attained the breathless state.

So lets tally up the benefits of Kechari we’ve discovered so far:

1. Allows you to enter the breathless state
  2. Allows you to turn on your Kundalini – Opens the knot at Muladhara
  3. Allows you to balance your Nadis sending the electricity up your Sushumna.
  4. Allows you to shut off your senses sending you into Samadhi
  5. Allows you to lick the Amrit separating your consciousness from your mind.

Do you think Kechari might be important?

Is it any wonder why Jesus spoke about Kechari during his Sermon on the Mount?

I once read someone commenting in a forum that there must have been a connection between Satyananda and Babaji, but I’ve never read Sivananda or Satyananda mentioning Yogananda’s Babaji. Is there a place where I can read more about this alleged meeting?

This is at least the third time that I’ve come across the story that Sivananda was taught Kriya Yoga directly from Babaji: From the book “Early Teachings of Swami Satyananda” Page 88

I have heard that Swami Sivananda was asked to build a mission by Babaji. Is this so?

Yes, he ordered him to build up a mission. As a matter of fact, Swami Sivananda received initiation into kriya yoga from Babaji, but he did not teach these techniques to anyone himself. At the time I was leaving the ashram, however, he taught me all the techniques in not more than twenty five minutes.

He then told Satyananda to give Yoga to the world. And I am forever grateful for these two great souls!

Kechari is the key to Kriya Yoga! According to Lahiri, Yogananda, and Satyananda; Kriya Yoga is the fastest and surest way to enlightenment.

Thank you for your update.

[QUOTE=umunhum;84449]

I have daily experiences where after a few minutes of holding the tongue in the open nostril, Dharana or one pointedness of mind takes place. Your entire focus becomes the contact of your nostril (Yoni) and your tongue (phallus). Slowly but surely the Yoni opens up more and more and then I become just the tip of my tongue. I feel like my tongue is coming out of a restricting circle and then free to explore the universe. It starts more snake like actions just like when I first started closing off the back of my throat in the later stages of Kechari Stage1 [/QUOTE]

When I stick my tongue up to the Tenth Gate (through the open nostril), all the breath must flow through the nostril with the inflated skin flap in it. On the exhale there is a pressure build up in the nasal pharynx area as the air is trying to find other ways of escaping because there is just a small amount of space the air can flow because of the skin flap. The pressure is so great that it opens up or widens the turbinate area around the tongue as the air tries to go out both nostrils. This allows you to stretch out the tongue further up to the Tenth Gate. The thickness of the tongue feels big and restricts how far it can go up the turbinate area. As Jesus said “narrow is the way.”

On the inhale you create a vacuum in the nasal pharynx area as air is desperately trying to get in the small opening of the nostril that is covered by this skin flap. This vacuum pulls the tongue further up to the Tenth Gate causing a snake like action at the tip of the tongue. So basically what I’m saying is that until the skin flap recedes (deflates) opening up your closed nostril enough to allow adequate flow for your breath to stop, your tongue is sliding further and further into the nasal turbinate area up to the Tenth Gate with every inhale and exhale.

I can now touch - push on the bone above the narrow passage that crimps off the nerve signals. It feels like it is covered with skin and is sensitive to the touch like the tongue is shocking it with electricity. The feeling is similar to what the turbinate areas felt like when I first started entering them.

Satyananda says that the reason Brahmamuhurtha is the best time to meditate (4 to 6 am) is because the energy from the sun and the moon is at its closest balance during this time. This time is the closest you will get to an even flow in your Nadis (Ida (lunar force) and Pingala (solar force)). Satyananda also says that we all have a heart so we should all practice Bhakti Yoga (devotional yoga). We all have a mind so we should practice Jnana Yoga (path of knowledge). We all have hands, feet and a mouth so we should all practice Karma Yoga (actions of selfless service).

Even Ramakrishna said that when the Goddess Kali comes, the tongue raises, and he was a Bhakti Yogi. I’ve read one book on the teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi who was a Jnana Yogi and I love him. His teachings are not an easy read. I’m stalled out on another of his books reading The Teachings of Satyananda series which are a collection of Satsangs laden with Gems of Knowledge. My admiration for Satyananda continues to grow. He strongly advocates mantra in meditation. I use Shiva as my mantra most of the time. Shee on the exhale and Vaaa on the inhale when I’m breathing. As my breath stops my Ajna throbs even more and Shambhavi Mudra puts me into a state of bliss. I identify with Kriya Yoga so much because everything can be explained scientifically. When you do certain exercises, certain physiological things happen in your body.

Satyananda wrote that death is just like going to sleep. The average soul that is full of desires waits just 13 days before taking another body. Souls that have done some spiritual work are selective of what parents they are born to. And so they wait far longer for the right parents to come along.

If you think about our breathing apparatus you notice at the top of it we exhale and inhale from a Y with the mouth and the nasal passage being the top of the Y and the lungs being the bottom. The vacuum followed by pressure from the diaphragm contracting and then relaxing causes the breath to be turbulent mixing up the outgoing and the incoming air. This turbulence creates an environment that is very inefficient in its flow to dispose the toxic air (carbon dioxide) and get what is needed into the body(prana and oxygen). This causes a lot of unnecessary work for the body. When the breath stops, carbon dioxide forms a stream that peacefully slides out of the body. A straight spine with the chin slightly pulled in enables this stream to form much quicker. This is what is going on in the gross or physical body. I read somewhere that the air we breath in is 21% oxygen and the air we exhale is 16% oxygen. As I’ve written earlier, Sivananda says the main purpose for the inhale is not for the oxygen, it is for the prana.

Once the Kundalini is activated, in the subtle body the prana slides up the Sushumna directly into the lungs. It is no longer needed from the air outside the body. The way to achieve this (Turning on your Kundalini ) is to balance the Nadis ( Ida and Pingala ) stimulate the Muladhara enough to send the spark (Apana) up to the stomach by creating a suction drawing it into the stomach area and the prana down to the stomach area with Uddiyana Banda. With the breathing chambers still, this combination ignites something in Muladhara. Without this stillness there is too much turbulence in the breathing chambers and the mixture does not happen. It is like trying to start a fire in a windy area. You need the stillness to create a proper combination of electricities.

Once again the tongue sealing off the back of the throat is key – Kechari stops the outgoing air from stimulating the nerves on the roof of the mouth that sends an electrical signal to the diaphragm to contract. Mula Bandha helps stretch the diaphargm to its maximum stretch. Naskagra Mudra opens up the Muladhara. Jalahandra Bandha locks the prana in, And finally Uddiyana Bandha (with the tightest vacuum) stretches the diaphragm to still it. Maha Bandha turns on your Kundalini. Some Yogis do 50 Maha Bandhas and that’s their whole Sadhana. I always do them in Siddhasana. I don’t stretch out my legs.

A good practice is to run off 30 breath of fires and go right into Satyananda’s Kriya 7 follow by Kriya 6. And then sit and wait for the body to tell you its time to start breathing again. Pay particular attention to Mula Bandha during both Kriyas and Nasikagra Mudra during Kriya 7. And make sure your Kechari seals off the back of your throat.

Every Maha Bandha I do now makes me slide effortlessly into the breathless state. I don’t even inhale most of the time transitioning to Kriya 6. I just bring my torso up and go into Sham Kech Moo. This causes the tissue in the breathing chamber to stay taut and slowly pull in just enough air to equalize the pressure with the outside air. Calming the turbulence so that the exiting carbon dioxide can form its peaceful stream. I can feel it the split second the stream is completed. You feel like you’re floating and you know you are breathless.

It is imperative for beginners to practice Talabya Kriya for Kechari. Maha Mudra and Maha Bhedra Mudra should also be practiced together every day for the ignition of Kundalini. I practice these Kriyas together every day as Satyananda says this is the heart of Kriya Yoga.

Thank you for your update.

If one person benefits from my ramblings, the effort was worth it. I am so thankful for Satyananda, Sivananda, my yoga instructor Vander, Yogananda, Yukteswar, Lahiri, Babaji, David Hawkins, AYP site, Ennio, Manoj, Jesus, James Golden.

One funny story about Satyananda was when he met Muktananda’s Guru Nityananda. He said as he approached Nityananda he suddenly felt a shock of energy like he grabbed an electric cable. Satyananda wrote that Nityananda wasn’t even aware of him until he felt the shock. And Nityananda muttered “They can’t carry the load but they all want it.” Satyananda said Nityananda had an extremely high level of consciousness. He spent most of his time in deep Samadhi completely oblivious to physical life.

Jesus sweated blood when he meditated. Buddha said it felt like demons were breaking his bones. David Hawkins said that it is painful to get to the extreme high levels of consciousness because this physical dimension or man’s consciousness has not evolved to a high enough level yet to allow it. These great souls are somehow clearing the path and opening up the possibility of our enlightenment. The first lines of Eckhart Tolle’s The Power of Now is “You are here to enable the divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are.” David Hawkins said he saw the trail that Jesus left as he was evolving. That few people had made it to where he was at and they all left a trail.

I keep thinking about Ramakrishna’s metaphor of being in the body is like being a fish trapped in a bucket. And being in Samadhi is like someone dumped the bucket into the Ganges. And Yogananda’s metaphor of the divine being the ocean and us being ocean water trapped inside a bottle floating around in the ocean. Samadhi is dissolving the bottle so we can flow into the Cosmic bliss. You then realize that we are all there ever was and all that there will ever be. And somehow we are all connected. The time, space, and matter of this world we are experiencing is an elaborate fantasy created by our mind. None of the various electricities the world has to offer the senses of the body can compare to this feeling. I really want to experience Samadhi!