Nutritional Supplements

[QUOTE=guybrush;80696]What about taking Aloe Vera for anti-inflammatory effects?[/QUOTE]

Aloe Vera helps, but it is not among the most efficient ones.

Here you have a list of generally considered the best anti-inflammatories:

Turmeric, active substance in it Curcumin. Take it in combination with black pepper and ginger to dramatically increase its efficiency.

Boswellia (tree)

White willow bark extract. Actually even aspirin is made from it.

Ginger root

Bromelain -it is an enzyme found in the stem of pine-apple. Lots of enzymes
are anti-inflammatory.

Quercetin-can be found in apples and onions

Devil’s claw

Pau D’Arco- a wonderful medicine from the bark of a tree growing in South America. Trouble is that it is ot collected properly when collected for
commercial purposes.

Garlic-astonishing how good is garlic for almost everything

Honey-Roman soldiers actually wrapped their wounds in honey

Propolis- a natural antibiotic

Enzymes are potent medicine.

Right now, there is a bad flu in Canada…maybe in other countries too.

Do you know that enzymes are great medicine against colds and flu ?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=eqkYpqkYPngC&pg=PA274&lpg=PA274&dq=enzyme+heal+flu&source=bl&ots=L0y8QYWTmN&sig=W2xbZCGLg_SCTDOrXyz64-nJ7kQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nYjrUMXkMsLE2wXeh4CYAg&sqi=2&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=enzyme%20heal%20flu&f=false

http://www.fitnessbytai.com/mucostop48

You know the traditional medicine against colds and flu: hot tea, coughing syrup, etc.
Try enzymes. You will be surprised to see how effective they are.

I read people mixing turmeric and black pepper with i.e. Coconut oil got better absorption.as with fat it is better bio availability.
At least thats what they said that tested it.maybe it even stains less then.

[QUOTE=fakeyogis;81558]I read people mixing turmeric and black pepper with i.e. Coconut oil got better absorption.as with fat it is better bio availability.
At least thats what they said that tested it.maybe it even stains less then.[/QUOTE]

I posted about it before. Mix turmeric with black pepper AND ginger. It increases the effectiveness of turmeric 2,000 (yes, two thousand) times.

At the moment I’m taking the following on a daily basis:

1 x Solgar Botanical Digestive Complex
1 - 2 x Solgar 5-HTP
1 x Lamberts Vitamin D 1000iu
1 x Solgar Vitamin C 500mg

A pretty recent discovery is EPICOR:

http://www.naturodoc.com/library/cancer/epicor.htm

It balances (modulates) the immune system, as the nature intended it. It enhances the activity of NK (Natural Killers) cells. Thes NK cells are like Dirty Harry-Clint Eastwood.
They do not obey commands from the bbody software. They circulate through the body and, when they find an enemy cell, they destroy it.

Being quite recent, it does not have many clinical studies. However, FDA recognized it as GRAS (Generally Recommended As Safe). I have started to take it about one week ago.
Probably it is too early to speak about good results but definitely there are no side effects.

Do you need better immunesystem?
Epicor is made by an old techique , Fermentation. You could probably ferment some cabbage your self and eat every day with similar benefit. But of course a pill is easier and more convenient i agree.

Coconut oil has lauric acid same as in breastmilk that protects the new born infants.

Try som evco coconut oil that will be good for you. Many people get better , initially one might get worse due to herxheimer/ die off. And meny report a weight loss from it. People start with half tsp and work up to 1 ,2 tbsp per day.

When buying supplements, we have to make sure they contain what is written on the label.

In the process of manufacturing supplements, a powder is used to be distributed in pills The concentration of ingredients may vary from pill to pill-sometimes even dramatically, say from 10 % to 140 %:

You really have to check the quality of the pills. How can you do that ? Eg read the customer reviews. Another way is to stick with reputable manufacturers.

Some naturopathic doctors recommend to buy pill made by Thorne Research or Metagenics.

[QUOTE=fakeyogis;81614]Do you need better immunesystem?
Epicor is made by an old techique , Fermentation. You could probably ferment some cabbage your self and eat every day with similar benefit. But of course a pill is easier and more convenient i agree.

Coconut oil has lauric acid same as in breastmilk that protects the new born infants.

Try som evco coconut oil that will be good for you. Many people get better , initially one might get worse due to herxheimer/ die off. And meny report a weight loss from it. People start with half tsp and work up to 1 ,2 tbsp per day.[/QUOTE]

You are right that it is better to take enzymes from foods:

http://www.cheeseslave.com/got-raw-food-50-ways-to-increase-enzymes-in-your-diet/

You have here a list of foods providing you with enzymes. Fermented cabbage, like any fermented food, contains lots of enzymes. So do the picked peppers too.

There is a catch though: if you are young and healthy, enzymes from foods are enough. The problem is that we eat cooked foods, deprived of enzymes.
Then the pancreas has to work overtime to produce enzymes. As we grow older, the pancreas cannot cope anymore. Then we need supplemental enzymes. The pills contain high concentrations of enzymes.

Enzymes are of three types:
—digestive
—metabolic
—therapeutic

There is a good book: Complete Book of Enzyme Therapy by Dr. Chicoke.
Read the customer reviews.

As always, the best “supplements” are made by Mother Nature. What man-made
supplement can come even close to bee pollen ? Look at its composition:

http://www.envirobee.com/beepollen3.htm

If we look only at enzymes, it has "all enzymes known or that will be known."
The meaning: bee pollen contains more than 3,000 enzymes. The scientists did not
analyze them all…yet.

There is a “miracle enzyme” named serrapeptase. It actually has several names, like
serratio peptidase etc.

This enzyme is almost universal: for heart, eyes, brain, knees, etc. How does it so many things ? Actually it does only one thing: cleans the body from inflammation, undigested proteins, etc It is a “general cleanser.” But lots of human organs need cleansing. That is why it is good for so many body organs.

http://nutritiongang.com/silkworm-enzyme-serrapeptase/

[QUOTE=oak333;82902]There is a “miracle enzyme” named serrapeptase. It actually has several names, like
serratio peptidase etc.

This enzyme is almost universal: for heart, eyes, brain, knees, etc. How does it so many things ? Actually it does only one thing: cleans the body from inflammation, undigested proteins, etc It is a “general cleanser.” But lots of human organs need cleansing. That is why it is good for so many body organs.

http://nutritiongang.com/silkworm-enzyme-serrapeptase/[/QUOTE]

In the link above, please click on “these customer reviews.”

Turmeric is very good for fighting inflammation. The active substance in it is actually
CURCUMIN, cca 4 % concentration.

Curcumin is unbelievably potent. Let us remember that many diseases are caused by inflammation.

There is a catch though: biovailability, ie curcumin is destroyed by the stomach strong acids. Only little curcumin reaches the target.

Good news: recently curcumin has been mixed with other ingredients and its biovailability increased significantly. How much ? It depends on the organ targeted.
This took years and years of research. This new supplement is called "LONGVIDA."
It is so good that it actually penetrates even the blood-brain barrier, fighting Alzheimer.

[QUOTE=oak333;83870]Turmeric is very good for fighting inflammation. The active substance in it is actually
CURCUMIN, cca 4 % concentration.

Curcumin is unbelievably potent. Let us remember that many diseases are caused by inflammation.

There is a catch though: biovailability, ie curcumin is destroyed by the stomach strong acids. Only little curcumin reaches the target.

Good news: recently curcumin has been mixed with other ingredients and its biovailability increased significantly. How much ? It depends on the organ targeted.
This took years and years of research. This new supplement is called "LONGVIDA."
It is so good that it actually penetrates even the blood-brain barrier, fighting Alzheimer.

http://www.longvida.com/Curcumin-Research-Discovery.html[/QUOTE]

Sorry.I forgot to mention what SLCP stands for: Small Lipid Curcumin Particles.
You find SLCP in the link quoted.

I quit taking vitamins and am now trying to get everything through my meals. It is not easy to start, but if you plan ahead and plan out your meals ahead you can get the nutrients much more naturally and will feel great!

If you take a multi-vitamin make sure you check out the reviews first. Most of them are garbage even if they say you get 200% your daily value of X, you really don’t.

One important factor in taking supplements is BIOAVAILABILITY, ie how much of the supplement reaches the targeted part of the body.

Biovailability is presently being increased by the producers by:

1. dissolving it into oil. Curcumin eg increases its bioavailability 11 (yes, eleven) times when dissolved in extra virgin olive oil
  2. breaking the supplements into small size particles, the size being in the order of
    nanometers (one billionth of a meter).
    When the supplements are so small, they can penetrate anywhere in the body, even penetrating the blood-brain barrier.
    Obviously that means that you have to take smaller quantities of supplements.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=99#healthbenefits

WALNUTS have many benefits. However, you have to know
how to use them:

1)how to buy them
2) how to store them
3) how to eat them (dosage and cook). Personally I eat ground walnuts.

Chia Seed, I have more success with capsules than eating it. White Chia Seed has been excellent.

Plant-cell vitamins

They are relatively new.

Plant-cell vitamin ingredients are cultivated using a full food matrix. Then your body recognizes the supplement ingredients as natural food.

A plant-cell vitamin contains food components that can be processed by your body-proteins, amino acids, enzymes, etc.

Plant-cell vitamins are easy for your body to absorb and are more efficient.

Avoid synthetic vitamins.

Epicor is good.

I use:
highish doses of A,B,C,D,E
Omega-3
Calcium/Magnesium